Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FIC 1650cc injectors idling rich on 93 octane

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 07:18 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by mines5
What i understand is that IPW linearization patch works to give you consistant PWs in
the non linear region.
Yes thats how i understand it as well, just that if that non linear region happens to be below minimum pulse width then it wont matter because the ECU cannot produce such a small pulse. Thats why you would need to change the Minimum injector pulse width setting as well if you happen to fall in that range. If after doing the linearization you don't require pulse widths smaller then the minimum then your fine and you don't have to mess with it. Depends on a lot of variables.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 2winscroll
38psi That's about what I expected it's usually 2-3 pounds higher than stock pump. No big deal if you drill the siphon I bet it drops 2-3 psi. This will bring you up .5 afr not a lot. If you tuner does the mods in the 1650 thread, linearization table. The min IPW too just set it around .900, then tune the afr around 13.5-14.5 it should start to run poorly any leaner due to injectiors response time. Back the afr down a .5 point and it's smooth as a baby's bottom. Keep you idle timing around 12 degrees.

I drilled the siphon yesterday and tested the pressure briefly tonight. It was still around 38psi maybe 37. No big changes that I saw yet. I'm going to do some more testing over the weekend and let the car warm up and try again.

Could the stock FPR have gone bad? Would replacing the return lines under the hood and the fuel housing help? I'm running all stock fuel lines right now other then the double pumper lines/filter.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Are you running a hobbs?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4b11slayer
Are you running a hobbs?

I am. Only one 255 pump running at idle on stock wiring.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:38 PM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by silverflyer
Could the stock FPR have gone bad?

You need a bigger one for the bigger pump.

They don't go bad, they're all bad to start with as in they can't handle the extra flow.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 07:15 AM

If the regulator could't handle the extra flow from a new pump at low load, then a new regulator would not be the solution. A different, higher value fuel pump resistor would be. The way the factory handles reducing flow during low load is by regulating current to the pump, not by just putting bigger fuel system components in. A new bigger regulator would work, but your still making the pump and rest of the system work harder then they should be vs just installing a different resistor.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
If the regulator could't handle the extra flow from a new pump at low load, then a new regulator would not be the solution. A different, higher value fuel pump resistor would be. The way the factory handles reducing flow during low load is by regulating current to the pump, not by just putting bigger fuel system components in. A new bigger regulator would work, but your still making the pump and rest of the system work harder then they should be vs just installing a different resistor.
I am running a 340 Lph pump rewired with a stock FPR.

20 psi - 25 psi - 30 psi .. still works good.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by mines5
I am running a 340 Lph pump rewired with a stock FPR.

20 psi - 25 psi - 30 psi .. still works good.
Oh yah i know it works fine. I was just contesting RightSaid fred's world view.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
I drilled the siphon yesterday and tested the pressure briefly tonight. It was still around 38psi maybe 37. No big changes that I saw yet. I'm going to do some more testing over the weekend and let the car warm up and try again.

Could the stock FPR have gone bad? Would replacing the return lines under the hood and the fuel housing help? I'm running all stock fuel lines right now other then the double pumper lines/filter.
38 psi is fine. Gauges don't always read the same. Your fpr is fine. Do the mods suggested and your tuner should have a much easier time getting the afr's inline. Now that you have the siphon drilled your rich spike when the second pump kicks on will be minimal. I set the Hobbs to turn on around 15psi.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2winscroll
38 psi is fine. Gauges don't always read the same. Your fpr is fine. Do the mods suggested and your tuner should have a much easier time getting the afr's inline. Now that you have the siphon drilled your rich spike when the second pump kicks on will be minimal. I set the Hobbs to turn on around 15psi.

An AEM fuel pressure gauge is being shipped to me. It should be more precise and make it so I can monitor while driving.

I will work on getting the patch put into the tune.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

This car is going to be a blast to drive once I get this issue solved and the tune finished.

Old Aug 6, 2017, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by biggiesacks
oh yah i know it works fine. I was just contesting rightsaid fred's world view.
:d
Old Aug 6, 2017, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

This car is going to be a blast to drive once I get this issue solved and the tune finished.

Thats a mean looking turbo..

Do post the update buddy.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Green red black?
Old Aug 6, 2017, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4b11slayer
Green red black?

Green... 73htz MHI ported