Vented VS. Sealed Catch Can Test, which is Better? Watch to find out! - Page 3 - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Vented VS. Sealed Catch Can Test, which is Better? Watch to find out!

Old Nov 14, 2017, 09:48 AM   #31
EvoM Guru

Drives: Evo IX MR

Does the vent line to the intake pipe have any sort of venturi or scavenging geometry? Or does it simply tee into the intake pipe at a 90 degree angle with nothing sticking into the intake pipe?

Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:01 PM   #32
EvoM Guru

Drives: a laptop connected to your ECU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfred View Post
Does the vent line to the intake pipe have any sort of venturi or scavenging geometry? Or does it simply tee into the intake pipe at a 90 degree angle with nothing sticking into the intake pipe?
Just a standard -10AN bung welded onto the intake pipe from the catch can and a -6AN bung welded onto the intake pipe from the valve cover.

Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:50 PM   #33
Evolved Member

Drives: 05AS MR

Well I'm going to be running the STM sealed setup with an STM SD intake with re-circulation pipe for the DV. I dont like the idea of "polluting" the cold side of the motor with oil etc, but expect I'll have the stuff off for cleaning if it becomes a problem.

Turbo is a 71HTA.

Hope I made the right choice here vs going to a VTA setup.

Old Nov 15, 2017, 08:18 PM   #34

following

Old Nov 16, 2017, 04:31 AM   #35
EvoM Administrator

Drives: 2003 White Evolution VIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo8noob View Post
following

Edit:

There is no need to add 'following' to threads you want to follow. Look under the lower nav bar under 'Thread Tools'. Seclect 'Subscribe'. Thanks.

Bob

Old Nov 20, 2017, 04:26 PM   #36
Evolved Member

Drives: EVO 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
I also run a sealed catch can setup, routed to intake, but on my Evo 10.

Here is a log of the car with crankcase pressure at WOT showing vacuum while in boost, 600whp.
Would be interesting to see what it looked like if you pulled off the intake filter.

Old Nov 20, 2017, 04:38 PM   #37
EvoM Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr View Post
Would be interesting to see what it looked like if you pulled off the intake filter.
It would but I won't. I like my compressor in one piece.

It's a decent size filter. It barely fits. (pressed up against headlight harness) I would have to get a custom intake to fit a larger filter.

It's 6"x7.5"x5.1"

Old Nov 20, 2017, 04:48 PM   #38
Evolved Member

Drives: EVO 8

ah come on...for the sake of our internet criticism???

I suppose it's kind of irrelevant though. It pulls that much vacuum in the crank case, regardless of if it's from the Bernoulli effect or static pressure drop due to the filter.

Also, I might have been fortunate in the past in that I really never had turbos that leaked oil though the compressor seals. Seeing all the issues many modern DI turbo motors are having with valve deposits and oil build up in the intercooler, maybe sucking oil into the intake is not any more of an issue then the typical amount spit out by the turbo. At least we have fuel in the intake tract to help deal with it...

Old Nov 20, 2017, 04:52 PM   #39
EvoM Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr View Post
ah come on...for the sake of our internet criticism???

I suppose it's kind of irrelevant though. It pulls that much vacuum in the crank case, regardless of if it's from the Bernoulli effect or static pressure drop due to the filter.
I'm just happy I'm not getting positive crank case pressure at 640whp and 28psi.

Old Yesterday, 04:53 PM   #40
Evolved Member

Drives: GG Evo IX SE

Very good information here. I think at the bear minimum, everyone should be running a sealed catch can between the rear of the valve cover and the intake manifold nozzle. This way they are not letting the intake suck oil vapor directly into the combustion chamber like the stock setup does. The only thing I did differently on that side was that I placed the oem pcv valve right at the Intake manifold vacuum nozzle and not on the crank case entry side of the catch can. This way you're not pressurizing your catch can under boost, which can be just another boost leak source.

As long as you are seeing less pressure in the crank case than what it takes to push oil back up the oil return line of the turbo, then you're in good shape.

The more restrictive your intake filter is, the more vacuum you will see at the intake pipe port.

Last edited by Pal215; Yesterday at 07:32 PM.