Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Re-sleeving a 4g63

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 03:48 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by RightSaid fred
Have you ever sleeved a block yourself?

I have.
What does that have to with whether or not a 4g63 block can be safely sleeved and reused?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
No, it's not.
OP asked if our blocks can be sleeved and still be reliable. Nothing you are saying has anything to with sleeving a block.
This guy annoys me as well.

However, in this case he does have a point. He did mistep in saying it was the bigger point, but I do agree with his questioning of the reason of failure.

That burned to think about/say
Old Oct 9, 2017, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Why does everyone seem to hate rightsaidfred? Is it because he's too sexy for his post count?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well it is because that's what determines whether or not it's fixable.

For example if it's got a minute hole in the wall (I've seen it with Toyota diesels), it's caused by rust and lack of antifreeze. Probably all the bores are going to fail. Throw it out.

If it's had a circlip fall out and it's got a floating pin, that'll gouge the wall.
That's an easy fix with a sleeve.

If it broke a rod and it went through the wall.......I'd throw that out too.
The failure in my motor was a small hairline crack which was most likely caused due to the bore on the motor not being done correctly. My motor had piston slap which I think is what cause premature wear in the sleeve which caused the crack. I believe that the structural integrity of the block has no issue. But idk if I want to gamble and use the same motor
Old Oct 10, 2017, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by esmjoe
I got a customers 4g63 block sleeved in only 1 cylinder because of damage caused by a piston. Not including the whole machining to redo the whole block the 1 sleeve cost me $60. I couldn't even tell it was repaired. Engine made 520 WHP with no problem for over 6 years now. Get the block repaired it will be fine..or trash it.. Ill give you $10 for it.
lol 10$ jesus...
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:44 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by ExViTermini
This guy annoys me as well.

However, in this case he does have a point. He did mistep in saying it was the bigger point, but I do agree with his questioning of the reason of failure.

That burned to think about/say
If OP were asking why it failed or if his setup was the reason/possible cause of another, then yes. But he wasn't, he was asking if sleeving a 4g63 makes sense. Not "the point". If it were anyone else making that comment, I probably wouldn't have noticed. LOL

Originally Posted by Tuxevo
Why does everyone seem to hate rightsaidfred? Is it because he's too sexy for his post count?
I wish we could play music in threads :LOL:
I hear the song every time he posts.

But comments his "I'm always right, you're all wrong" attitude is Perry much why.

No good asking a bunch of kids on a forum.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Gevo9
The failure in my motor was a small hairline crack which was most likely caused due to the bore on the motor not being done correctly. My motor had piston slap which I think is what cause premature wear in the sleeve which caused the crack. I believe that the structural integrity of the block has no issue. But idk if I want to gamble and use the same motor
This engine isn't constructed with sleeved cylinders. So, since you have a crack in a sleeve, the block has already been sleeved. Since it has been sleeved and then failed, junk it.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 02:50 PM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
What does that have to with whether or not a 4g63 block can be safely sleeved and reused?

You're acting like a 5 year old who talks too much and never listens.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 04:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
OP,

I hate to admit it, but you are better off purchasing a fresh oem block and going from there. The fact that you caught a small crack in the bear shortblock saves you a lot of future trouble. People have also thrown away these cast iron 4g63 blocks for cracked transmission bolt holes and spider cracked cylinder head mating surfaces. They will be between 1500.00 - 1800.00 new, but that is not abnormal when it comes to motor builds.

Best of luck with everything.
The following users liked this post:
Gevo9 (Oct 10, 2017)
Old Oct 10, 2017, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Pal215
OP,

I hate to admit it, but you are better off purchasing a fresh oem block and going from there. The fact that you caught a small crack in the bear shortblock saves you a lot of future trouble. People have also thrown away these cast iron 4g63 blocks for cracked transmission bolt holes and spider cracked cylinder head mating surfaces. They will be between 1500.00 - 1800.00 new, but that is not abnormal when it comes to motor builds.

Best of luck with everything.
Thats pretty much what I'm gonna do get a new block and crank and do a 2.0 instead of my current 2.3... ill try and sell the block, crank, and pistons from my old setup.

thanks for all the responses and help guys
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:29 AM
kaj

You're acting like a 5 year old who talks too much and never listens.
You're acting like a know-it-all who needs to go off topic for the sole purpose of showing everyone how smart you are.

All he asked is if our blocks can be sleeved and, if so, is it reliable.

You: "hoopity hoopla more the point is how it failed in the first place blah blah". You go off about holes in the wall, wrist pins gouging it, etc. You didn't even bother to notice or address that OP says it's cracked. And you talk about "listening". None of that answered his question.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 01:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I would trust a sleeve in a 4g63 before a 4b11 or other aluminum-block engine. At least the metals are somewhat the same and should heat/cool/etc the same.
I'm no engineer.. just seems that it would be okay. For how long, I'm not sure. Interesting, though. Especially if you can get away with only doing one.

You're wrong. Wet sleeves in a 4b11 are just as good as a dry sleeve 4g63 to repair a gouge. Open and closed deck aluminum blocks get sleeved as almost standard practice for big power these days, and the processes are reliable. This does not fall under your "it's just my opinion". You are simply wrong here.

That being said, a new sleeve to repair an iron block is usually done to repair deep gouging, not a crack. A crack indicates the block has been compromised, and should really be replaced. My machine shop wont sleeve a cracked cylinder, they will only do it if the need for a sleeve is due to a deep gouge.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 03:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuxevo
RightsaidFred is a special character. He is actually a very smart guy, but extremely random and deceptive. Some say he actually has another account on here and that he uses the RightSaidFred
account to troll evom. He may know the right answer to many issues, but chooses to answer them incorrectly. Why? I'm not sure, but evom.net is a brighter and more surprising place with him as it brings a certain comedy to the field.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 04:17 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
RightsaidFred is a special character. He is actually a very smart guy, but extremely random and deceptive. Some say he actually has another account on here and that he uses the RightSaidFred
account to troll evom. He may know the right answer to many issues, but chooses to answer them incorrectly. Why? I'm not sure, but evom.net is a brighter and more surprising place with him as it brings a certain comedy to the field.
Hey, thanks for the commentary on that issue

The (EvOM) moderation group is very tolerant of all our members & are doing our best to increase the membership going fwd

Just consider, that comments posted in the tech forums should be considered opinions, some more factual than others. Tech posts are certainly not technical "White Papers"

Old Oct 11, 2017, 06:28 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
You're wrong.
I'm not surprised. If I'm theorizing, I try to make it obvious:

Originally Posted by kaj
I'm no engineer.. just seems that it would be okay.
Plus my sig... Thank goodness for disclaimers

It's funny, though it gets under my skin when he tries to get under others'. But that's his thing here, so... But really what can we do when we're a bunch of five year olds LOL
Rumor has it you can look up member IP addresses to help figure out who it is. But.. that's just rumor.

Quick Reply: Re-sleeving a 4g63