Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 9 hard start cold, no start hot

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 9 hard start cold, no start hot

Hey guys, i just did a a small engine rebuild and am having in issue. I had 2 other buddies help me with the car so I dont know all the grounds and connectors they touched but i believe I checked everything over. The posts i find on research steer me in the right direction but none have my same symptoms.

When the car is cold, it takes about 7-10 cranks to start and sometimes helps when i WOT. When the car is hot or warmed up, it wont even start literally right after shutting it off. I need tp wait a couple of hours for it to be completely cold to start it. Even on a cold start, if I shut it off imediately afterit starts it will not start again. But what it weird is that when it is running, its a raped ape on the streets haha. It pulls, idles, and runs just perfect. So i have no idea.

I have a new Walbro 255 that I havent got to install yet if its fuel pressure related. And I am currently waiting for new injector insolator's from injector to mani. I also have COP i havent installed yet if it is spark related. But i want to find the problem before throwing parts at it and now no one knows the real issue. Before any work was done I never had an issue with the car besides loosing coolant.

New Parts
Headgasket
Timing belt and Balance belt
All timing components
Water pump
Thermostat
Intake Mani Gasket
All exhaust/turbo gaskets
ARP headstuds
AC delete

Any info or tips will help, thanks.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
what injectors are in it?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
When was last tine your injectors were cleaned? And if you have fuel pressure gauge, does it hold pressure when you shut off engine?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Does the coolant temperature read off the ECU seem sensible?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by hutch959
what injectors are in it?
I beloeve they are stock. I know i never have changed them, but i bought it with a couple go fast parts on it already. They are grey and about the size of a mans thumb haha
Old Apr 30, 2018, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
When was last tine your injectors were cleaned? And if you have fuel pressure gauge, does it hold pressure when you shut off engine?
I put fuel system cleaner in the tank today but i never cleaned them before. I have DoctorInjector close by for a good rebuild price but i dont want to just buy things because im unsure what wrong. Would they really clog up that bad with having the rail off for 2 days? And no fuel pressure gauge right now. Should it hold pressure when the car is off?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by barneyb
Does the coolant temperature read off the ECU seem sensible?
Yeah i used a scanner for data log from cold to hot and all temp numbers seemed pretty accurate. I have the Rad fan on a switch and even turned it on and watched numbers drop.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 01:21 AM

Just installed injector insulators and only thing it helped was more boost, they were causing a leak for a while . But not the issue with hot start.
Old May 1, 2018, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BrandonIX
I put fuel system cleaner in the tank today but i never cleaned them before. I have DoctorInjector close by for a good rebuild price but i dont want to just buy things because im unsure what wrong. Would they really clog up that bad with having the rail off for 2 days? And no fuel pressure gauge right now. Should it hold pressure when the car is off?
Yes, rail should hold pressure when you shut off. If they don't, then 1 or more of your injectors leak. I can't think of an easy way to test. I'll be back if I can think of something.
Old May 2, 2018, 06:57 AM

Yes, rail should hold pressure when you shut off. If they don't, then 1 or more of your injectors leak. I can't think of an easy way to test. I'll be back if I can think of something.
I am going to do a compression test cold and when it is hot but i dont think its this. I can also create a fitting and gauge to tap right into the fuel light that is right under the master cylinder to test fuel pressure.

I installed the new Walbro yesterday and it did not help. And i guess it already had a Walbro in it from a previous owner haha. But when i pulled off the fuel lines from the pump, none of them had pressure behind it. They more so just dripped a little gas but nothing felt pressureized. Sound normal or am i onto something?
Old May 2, 2018, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like you have a leaking injector. When starting your engine, your leaking injector is allowing extra fuel into that cylinder. It will be hard to start until you can flush out enough fuel with fresh air. When hot engine, it gets worse because when you shut off engine, fuel drains into same cylinders until pressure is gone. So when trying to start, it's flooded. But I would assume engine eventually starts.
Try pulling your fuel pump fuse to shut off hot engine. Then put it back to start engine. If problem is still there, then (at least) you can rule that out.
Old May 2, 2018, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Wait, why did you replace head gasket?
Old May 2, 2018, 09:47 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Do you smell fuel when the car won't start? You said the car starts when cold if you hold the throttle open, will it not start if you don't do that? How do the spark plugs look?
Old May 2, 2018, 03:28 PM

Sounds like you have a leaking injector. When starting your engine, your leaking injector is allowing extra fuel into that cylinder. It will be hard to start until you can flush out enough fuel with fresh air. When hot engine, it gets worse because when you shut off engine, fuel drains into same cylinders until pressure is gone. So when trying to start, it's flooded. But I would assume engine eventually starts.
Try pulling your fuel pump fuse to shut off hot engine. Then put it back to start engine. If problem is still there, then (at least) you can rule that out.
Thanks man, what would cause a leaking injector other than the o rings? I replaced them all a couple days ago. And i will definately try the relay to shut it off! Definately all makes sense though!
Old May 2, 2018, 03:29 PM

Wait, why did you replace head gasket?
blew it out last year and needed it haha

Quick Reply: Evo 9 hard start cold, no start hot