Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My Evo RS gearbox sucks for drag racing can I put an FD on it?

Old Dec 30, 2017, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
My Evo RS gearbox sucks for drag racing can I put an FD on it?

I dont want to swap everything out on it because it would just be really expensive.

1st gear is really short and I want to do an FP Black. Currently running an HTA71 and it runs out of steam quickly on a 2.3 stroker kit.

A friend is giving me his 4.11 FD free since he got a 4.3

Would this combo work? Or am I running out of gears because the HTA71 is just too small for a 2.3?
Old Dec 30, 2017, 05:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
The 4.11 would make it feel even worse. It's running out of steam because the turbo is too small for the displacement.
The following users liked this post:
Dakota Evo (Dec 30, 2017)
Old Dec 31, 2017, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Wanted to post about my experience with having a 2.4L and 4.11 gear in my personal RS ( which I sold years ago). @ things to note. I did enjoy the lower freeway cruise RPM it provided. I was not buzzing around @ over 3K when driving 65 mph. Also having the lower numeric gear allowed the engine to pull the torque better then the stock gearing. Having a FP green (original version) provided an impressive torque spike that was short lived but the 4.11 FD provided some dwell in the short torque band area to "pull" the gear. On the street it was a blast. I was tuned on E-85 and I personally liked running the 4.11. 1st gear was a bit tricky but the 2.4L pulls you off the line better then a 2.0L would. If I kept the car I would have liked to install a BBK B -BB which is produced by another company now.
Elliot Finch (Feb 13, 2020)
Old Dec 31, 2017, 01:49 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I never understood when people say they like taller gearing because they "stay in boost longer". If by staying in boost longer, they mean it takes them longer to get through a gear, resulting in being slower, than yeah. It does that.

OP: the post above is correct. Your turbo is what's running out of steam. That's fine, if you are looking for response and instant torque. A car doesn't have to pull all the way to redline to be fun. Personally, I bet your setup is a kick in the *** to drive.
The taller final drive is only useful if you are trying to not shift into 5th gear at the race track. With your added displacement, you probably wouldn't even be slowed down enough, by the taller gearing, to really notice.
That's quite a bit of trouble to go through to drag race a "rally car", though. Are you sure you want to go through all that to shave a few tenths off a quarter mile time?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

There is a point where too tall might be a problem but in the case of my setup it did not make the car any slower. If you have ever seen dyno curves in 4th gear as opposed to 3rd gear you notice the gear loading put more of a fullness in the curve. Also you do not have to be as exact in your shift points because you are not flying through the sweet spot so fast.

Hopefully you begin to understand why I said it. Drag racing is drag racing and a couple tenths may beat your opponent. Yes the Evo was designed as a rally car but it does many venues well. So use them and enjoy.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by whtrice
Wanted to post about my experience with having a 2.4L and 4.11 gear in my personal RS ( which I sold years ago). @ things to note. I did enjoy the lower freeway cruise RPM it provided. I was not buzzing around @ over 3K when driving 65 mph. Also having the lower numeric gear allowed the engine to pull the torque better then the stock gearing. Having a FP green (original version) provided an impressive torque spike that was short lived but the 4.11 FD provided some dwell in the short torque band area to "pull" the gear. On the street it was a blast. I was tuned on E-85 and I personally liked running the 4.11. 1st gear was a bit tricky but the 2.4L pulls you off the line better then a 2.0L would. If I kept the car I would have liked to install a BBK B -BB which is produced by another company now.
My car on pump is making 400 whp and 450 tq and on E85 440 WHP and 480 TQ

seems like we have similar set ups

My car just feels like a Honda Civic Type R.....goes through gears quickly
Old Dec 31, 2017, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

There is a point where too tall might be a problem but in the case of my setup it did not make the car any slower. If you have ever seen dyno curves in 4th gear as opposed to 3rd gear you notice the gear loading put more of a fullness in the curve. Also you do not have to be as exact in your shift points because you are not flying through the sweet spot so fast.

Hopefully you begin to understand why I said it. Drag racing is drag racing and a couple tenths may beat your opponent. Yes the Evo was designed as a rally car but it does many venues well. So use them and enjoy.
Hitting peak torque so quickly makes car bounce off rev limiter.....very quickly and shifting becomes tricky.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dakota Evo
Hitting peak torque so quickly makes car bounce off rev limiter.....very quickly and shifting becomes tricky.
Agreed ....still had to short shift but with 4.11's didn't feel like I was dragging racing
in a Kenworth
Dakota Evo (Dec 31, 2017)
Old Dec 31, 2017, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

Agreed ....still had to short shift but with 4.11's didn't feel like I was dragging racing
in a Kenworth
exactly it feels like those 13 gear kenworth or mack trucks....
Old Dec 31, 2017, 08:27 PM
kaj

Yes, more of a "fullness" because the car is accelerating slower, giving the turbo time to spool. Just because you see peak boost sooner and longer, doesn't necessarily mean you are going faster. I guess it comes down to trial and error for your particular application.
In the case of those that go to taller gearing in an Evo to focus on drag racing, it's always because not having to bouncing off the rev limiter or hitting 5th gear makes up for the slower acceleration. I've never heard anyone say the car accelerated faster, but I could be wrong.
As for why people take Evos and make them into drag cars? I won't get started on that topic

I edited this post, like ten times and I still don't think it's coming out right.

Practice, my friend! Practice!

Last edited by kaj; Dec 31, 2017 at 08:48 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj

Practice, my friend! Practice!

Im trying

shooting for 10s or low 11s on the hta71

Sent you videos of my street racing so you can see what im talking about (dont want to load those here and get banned)

Low boost 20 psi the car is the most fun and drivable....
Old Dec 31, 2017, 09:38 PM
kaj

Im trying

shooting for 10s or low 11s on the hta71

Sent you videos of my street racing so you can see what im talking about (dont want to load those here and get banned)

Low boost 20 psi the car is the most fun and drivable....
Oh, you got this! I did 11.7 while rolling off the starting line like a stop sign LOL. You can definitely do low 11s. I did all that with a stock 6spd, street disk clutch, and pretty much everything else OEM. Oh.. and baby Greddy cams LOL
Dakota Evo (Dec 31, 2017)
Old Dec 31, 2017, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Oh, you got this! I did 11.7 while rolling off the starting line like a stop sign LOL. You can definitely do low 11s. I did all that with a stock 6spd, street disk clutch, and pretty much everything else OEM. Oh.. and baby Greddy cams LOL
Greddy cams are mild. I was going through EF2.5 reviews yesterday and saw your post actually. Was amazed someone ran those.

I ran the HTA71 at like 18 psi for a while with stock intake box.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 07:29 AM
kaj

Greddy cams are mild. I was going through EF2.5 reviews yesterday and saw your post actually. Was amazed someone ran those.

I ran the HTA71 at like 18 psi for a while with stock intake box.
I think my 2.5 made the same power as my hta71, but it was much lazier. I had mph for an 11.5, you can definitely do better.
Those Greddy cams were free..But probably not worth the time it took to swap them. I now have S1s and really like them. I like cars that are torquey and responsive, though (I'm back on stock turbo with possibility of another hta71, in the future). My dyno sheet doesn't impress anyone.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Yes, more of a "fullness" because the car is accelerating slower, giving the turbo time to spool. Just because you see peak boost sooner and longer, doesn't necessarily mean you are going faster. I guess it comes down to trial and error for your particular application.
In the case of those that go to taller gearing in an Evo to focus on drag racing, it's always because not having to bouncing off the rev limiter or hitting 5th gear makes up for the slower acceleration. I've never heard anyone say the car accelerated faster, but I could be wrong.
As for why people take Evos and make them into drag cars? I won't get started on that topic

I edited this post, like ten times and I still don't think it's coming out right.

They drag them because EVO's can do it well. How many cars in 2006 could ET with an EVO and make comparably the same power. AWD was an advantage and the 4G63T made great power for its size. All the domestic guys called them cheater cars..Lol
Fullness because the gear loading helps produce/develope more boost and torque. The torque "pulls" the gear and the car covers ground. Have you ever raced a Z06 corvette that has a broad first and second gear? Same principle since they made similar 470 ft/lbs of torque as I did. I could hang easily with them if I got offline well.
If I didn't it was a loss for me. If using the stock gearing as we have stated already you have to be too perfect. 4.11's gave me more an advantage. I knew if I could hang or beat out a 2011 Z06 I wasn't slow by any stretch of the imagination.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Evo RS gearbox sucks for drag racing can I put an FD on it?