Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

"It Detonated"

Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
If scaling was bigger than actual injector size, you ran every cylinder lean. Check your head for any melted aluminum in the dome. Are all your spark plugs intact?
Haven't had the chance to check anything, going to try and get the plugs out today and will post the pics.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,321 Posts
A lean condition did not cause this. Rod's don't break from running lean. Pistons melt.

The stock turbo will most definitely spike 35psi if you let it. I've seen them spike almost 40. What shop were you taking the car too? All of this screams don't go back...

The injector scaling being "off" means nothing. The way the whole base map is setup effects injector scaling (SD programming, MAF scaling, latencies, etc. It's all intertwined and they all effect each other). If someone just glanced at injector scaling in my ROM, they would likely say it's "wrong" too. When they really have no clue...
Old Mar 14, 2018, 02:17 PM

Just got the plugs out here is 1-4 in order and the old plug that went bad which was cylinder 2 which is also the cylinder that detonated.. As far as I can see there is no piston in cylinder 2 either might be in my oil pan or somewhere else. The little porcelain piece under the tip on the new plug is also cracked in half.

Last edited by Big_Mike1; Mar 14, 2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
A lean condition did not cause this. Rod's don't break from running lean. Pistons melt.

The stock turbo will most definitely spike 35psi if you let it. I've seen them spike almost 40. What shop were you taking the car too? All of this screams don't go back...

The injector scaling being "off" means nothing. The way the whole base map is setup effects injector scaling (SD programming, MAF scaling, latencies, etc. It's all intertwined and they all effect each other). If someone just glanced at injector scaling in my ROM, they would likely say it's "wrong" too. When they really have no clue...
Not trying to put a shop or owner on blast and I was just stating what I was told I am still trying to find out the reasoning..
Old Mar 14, 2018, 02:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,321 Posts
That electrode being eaten up, and the surrounding areas of the plug shows pre-detonation.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 02:25 PM

That electrode being eaten up, and the surrounding areas of the plug shows pre-detonation.
The other 3 plugs surrounding areas looked similar as well
Old Mar 14, 2018, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
I see why you thought engine was already damaged the night before. Too bad you didn't do a compression test after replacing spark plug #2.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
I see why you thought engine was already damaged the night before. Too bad you didn't do a compression test after replacing spark plug #2.
I didn't replace or do anything the night it was misfiring he told me to bring in the next day to "tighten the gap on the plugs" and when removing he came over with the broken plug and told me it was fine that it shot out of my exhaust and with the new plugs I should be good to go after he "adjusted the tune"
Old Mar 14, 2018, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Big_Mike1
I didn't replace or do anything the night it was misfiring he told me to bring in the next day to "tighten the gap on the plugs" and when removing he came over with the broken plug and told me it was fine that it shot out of my exhaust and with the new plugs I should be good to go after he "adjusted the tune"
I was just hoping that what he was telling me was the truth at the time welp.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Sorry for your misfortune, but I believe this is totally tune related.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Do you have a wide band ? If not , did the tuner tune it with a wide band at least or did the tuner just guess the fuel was all good ?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
Do you have a wide band ? If not , did the tuner tune it with a wide band at least or did the tuner just guess the fuel was all good ?
I do have a wide band and he also had a sniffer on the exhaust while tuning. the last time I seen my a/f before looking in front of me was 11.2 idk if it dropped within the time period I looked up and it exploded or what it was only a few seconds after..

After he was done tuning he told me the a/f shouldn't drop below 11.2 but if it does to let off lol. said my injector duty cycle was at 80% which was odd
Old Mar 14, 2018, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

What are the odds that a spark plug tip bounces off the piston at an angle to go through one of tge exhaust valve opening, stay suspended in the exhaust port in head, exhaust manifold, turb hot side, down pipe, and out exhaust?
I wonder if it even made it out the combustion chamber.
He probably over wrote the bad tune to hide his mistake on 14th. This shouldn't have happened.

Old Mar 14, 2018, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Did rod crack from too much torque when boost spijed to 35 psi? And then hung on until next day?

Old Mar 14, 2018, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
I do have a wide band and he also had a sniffer on the exhaust while tuning. the last time I seen my a/f before looking in front of me was 11.2 idk if it dropped within the time period I looked up and it exploded or what it was only a few seconds after..

After he was done tuning he told me the a/f shouldn't drop below 11.2 but if it does to let off lol. said my injector duty cycle was at 80% which was odd
11.2 is fairly safe and even if it went a little leaner 11.5-11.8 this should of never have happened, and 80 % inj duty cycle is fine. Is he running a lot of timing? This is on pump 93 ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "It Detonated"