Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

will leakage from valve seal damage turbo?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
will leakage from valve seal damage turbo?

hi, i have two valve seals leaking on the exhaust side, the oil goes into the exhaust manifold and then into the turbo, will this seeping of oil into turbo through the manifold cause damage to the turbo or seals?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by babaz7
hi, i have two valve seals leaking on the exhaust side, the oil goes into the exhaust manifold and then into the turbo, will this seeping of oil into turbo through the manifold cause damage to the turbo or seals?
A bad valve seal dumps oil directly into the cylinder and then the oil makes it way to the exhaust manifold.

I've seen photographs of turbos containing so much carbon that they could no longer spin. This was attributed to turbo seals leaking. I suppose the same thing could eventually occur if enough oil was fed into the turbo.

Is there a reason why you don't rectify the valve seal problem?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
It could build up on exhaust turbine wheel and slow your spool. It could also make wheel off balance and accelerate wear on bearing. Are you topping off your oil weekly? Also, how is your cat and front oxygen sensor working with the extra layers of oil buildup? Have you priced the front oxygen sensor?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
A bad valve seal dumps oil directly into the cylinder and then the oil makes it way to the exhaust manifold.

I've seen photographs of turbos containing so much carbon that they could no longer spin. This was attributed to turbo seals leaking. I suppose the same thing could eventually occur if enough oil was fed into the turbo.

Is there a reason why you don't rectify the valve seal problem?
i just got the seals a few days ago, im in middle of a email tuning session actually, i will fix the problem when the tuning is done,otherwise i know with experience that if you stop communication with your tuner for a few days, who lives in another country they never bother replying or tell you that your slot is gone, thats why.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
It could build up on exhaust turbine wheel and slow your spool. It could also make wheel off balance and accelerate wear on bearing. Are you topping off your oil weekly? Also, how is your cat and front oxygen sensor working with the extra layers of oil buildup? Have you priced the front oxygen sensor?
yes, iv'e been topping off oil regularly because its going down so much, front oxygen sensor seems to be working fine but i do have smoke coming out of my exhaust obviously due to the leaking valve seals.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Finish the tune and replace. Watch your boost and AFR after replacing valve stems. If your turbo has buildup, it should slowly burn off and turbo can go back to normal. Hopefully, your tuner accounted for the normally faster spool and higher boost. Make sure your tuner knows what's happening with your engine. Tuning on an unhealthy engine is a bad idea.