Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Average cost of drive train for evo 8/9?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 02:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jheff

You want to spend 2 YEARS building a stock or close to stock evo? Have you ever restored a car before? What confuses me is that if you have a whole shop as you say to work on the car but only $15k budget. It sounds like youre trying to resell the thing for profit more than actually build a car.

^^ Also how do you plan on going about this? Buy another shell another parts car? In order to do this with a $15k budget you're more than likely going to have to buy and resell parts to get to where you need to be.

Economically, I dont see the reasoning here, as building a stock evo over 2 years is a lot of work for minimal payoff in my opinion.
Yea, I've restored a 1965 Corvair before, doing a full rebuild on the engine and body work. However this is a group project from my school, and I'm honestly trying to build the car and have run, not looking for a profit. I was planning on get OEM parts but also some after markets but doing some math I don't think I'll be work on this project for a bit due to budget issues. Thank you for the help in figuring out what I need to do.
Old May 9, 2018, 02:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Hardware is one of the biggest challenges in buying a shell and trying to piece together all the other parts. WIthout all the OEM hardware, its not likely youll find the right bolt lengths and pitch (mitsu is fine on everything, coarse is more commonly available locally) to get everything together properly. You can scour a pick-n-pull for bolts but you're still guessing at what bolt goes where.

I would absolutely start with a high mileage or salvage car rather than a shell I was planning on putting an original motor into.
This exactly.

OP, If you worked on this particular platform for a while and you already had an idea of what size bolts and misc hardware to expect in all places throughout the car, then I'd say you could start with a shell. However, seeing as how you are doing this as a learning experience, it's better to start with a cheap, but complete evo so that you know where everything goes. The service manual never tells the whole story and most of the parts you need will need to be ordered online or at the dealer. Exact bolt sizes and misc parts are not easy to find for this car.
The following users liked this post:
Icyjup (May 13, 2018)
Old May 9, 2018, 03:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
I would absolutely start with a high mileage or salvage car rather than a shell I was planning on putting an original motor into.
I see, for an original motor would it be one out of a part out or building one? I was looking at some parts and doing a little bit of math and I think a motor could be built, but finding an all original motor would be the best option right?