Evo 8 crank won't make full rotation - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 8 crank won't make full rotation

Old May 14, 2018, 09:44 AM

Evo 8 crank won't make full rotation

The other day while under WOT I could feel the evo make a noise like a belt fell off then it died and I rolled into a gas station. The car would even try and turn over after that. You could here the starter trying to run but it wasn't turning the flywheel. I got back home and found that it had snapped the balance shaft belt off. And I couldn't turn the crank shaft by hang. It will only turn a little in either direction then get hung up. So I took all the timing components off to make sure there wasn't any belt left jamming something up and there wasn't. The crank still won't turn. I also drained the oil to see if there was any metal shaving and there wasn't so I don't think it blew a piston but it still might have. I'm just wondering if anybody here has seen or heard anything like this before. Thank you for your time
Old May 14, 2018, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

You most likely bent valves and that's what your hitting when you are trying to spin the crank.
Old May 14, 2018, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Stick a borescope down your spark plug holes and look inside. You shoyld have been able to turn it backwards (which you're not supposed to doand I forgot why). So if it won't turn in either direction, something is wedging the pistons somewhere. Post some photos of cam positions and crank so we can see what you're seeing.
Old May 14, 2018, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Did the balance shaft belt take the timing belt with it? If so, there's your answer..
Old May 14, 2018, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone View Post
Did the balance shaft belt take the timing belt with it? If so, there's your answer..
That, or the timing belt could have jumped a few teeth when the balance belt ran through it.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Doesn't explain how block is seized in both directions.
Old May 14, 2018, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer View Post
Doesn't explain how block is seized in both directions.
If in fact pistons are hitting valves and turning the crank clockwise hits valves, turning counterclockwise will also hit valves. Also, its not unusual for a valve head to break off, fall and embed its self in a piston.
Old May 14, 2018, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

If timing is off far enough for valves to hit, they bend, and then they usually hang open enough to not allow the piston to go past a certain point.
The Following User Says Thank You to letsgetthisdone For This Useful Post:
barneyb (May 14, 2018)
Old May 14, 2018, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

If timing is off far enough for valves to hit, they bend, and then they usually hang open enough to not allow the piston to go past a certain point.
I hate it when people are better at explaining things than I am but yessss.
Old May 14, 2018, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb View Post
I hate it when people are better at explaining things than I am but yessss.
yes, that gets old after a while.
valves can hang open but I thought there is a good 1/4 turn of crank before other set of pistons would come up to nake contact with valves. OP didn't say how much in each direction he turned to turn crank. I assumed it was maybe 5 degrees. My bad.
Old May 14, 2018, 03:08 PM

That might make sense that it's a valve. I was gonna pull the oil pan but I guess I should pull the head and check instead. I will give an update on it as soon as I get it ripped off
Old May 14, 2018, 03:10 PM

No it didn't take the timing belt with it. It actually all looked good when I checked it. And right now all the belts are off of it and the crank still won't turn. Like everybody said it will turn a quarter turn in either direction the gets hung up
Old May 14, 2018, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo_8_power View Post

No it didn't take the timing belt with it. It actually all looked good when I checked it. And right now all the belts are off of it and the crank still won't turn. Like everybody said it will turn a quarter turn in either direction the gets hung up
Is your timing marks off? Cams probably a few teeth behind crank?
Old May 14, 2018, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

You can remove just the cams and recheck. With the cams out all valves should be closed/sealed. If they are bent you still won't be able to spin the crank and then the head will need to come off.
Old May 14, 2018, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by wht95scort View Post
You can remove just the cams and recheck. With the cams out all valves should be closed/sealed. If they are bent you still won't be able to spin the crank and then the head will need to come off.
thats a real good idea guys. Awesome thanks. I'll start there. May be able to get it apart tomorrow or the next day and I'll give an update

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evo 8 crank won't make full rotation

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.