Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 8 sputtering

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 02:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 sputtering

I was out cruising around and did a couple of pulls. Car felt good, but on the way home on the interstate the car started to sputter if I gave it any extra gas. My wideband zero’d out and the car acted like it wanted to die. I threw it into neutral and the car idled fine. If I tried to free rev it the car would want to sputter and die. Sometimes it would sputter and clear up and sputter again. I pulled over and checked all my connections but everything seemed tight. Any idea what it could be? I’m on SD btw

Last edited by QikEvo; Jul 8, 2018 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Punctuation
Old Jul 9, 2018, 03:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check plugs? Possibly injector or fuel pump issue? Check codes?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 05:02 PM

Plugs are fine. I was thinking thinking it was a fuel issue, but it has only happened once. Since the incident it hasn’t done it again. I’m also on AEM V2, so I don’t have a way to check for codes unfortunately
Old Jul 9, 2018, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like a torn or partially ripped coupler & also check your maf sensor. My aftermarket intake FILTER had a circular plate within the filter. It came unloose and found its way smacked on my maf sensor constricting flow. Go to parts store & ask for free obd check (periodically)
Old Jul 9, 2018, 08:39 PM

I have no MAFS, because I’m running speed density. And I don’t have a check engine light because I’m running a stand-alone ecu.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 07:09 PM

anyone have any other ideas? The sputtering comes and goes. It ran fine for a couple of days and then started doing it again. The car idles fine, A/F look good at idle. When i bleep the throttle the car cuts out, then comes up again. If I barely touch the throttle, it starts to sputter really bad, then when I push the throttle completely the car shuts off. I removed my fuel rail and stock FPR, to clean them and see if that was the problem. I'm currently running dual 450's on a stock FPR, and have been running it that way for several years. I'm either thinking its the regulator going bad, or maybe the TPS. I can hear the pumps kick on when I turn the switch on. Either way, I'm just wondering if there is anything else I should look at.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

How old is your map sensor? Could be going out.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:35 AM

My 4bar map sensor is fairly old. I’ll look into that as well.

I pulled my fuel rail and regulator off. Cleaned my injectors and installed a fuel pressure gauge on my rail. The injectors were really dirty, and also cleaned up my stock regulator as well. Reinstalled everything and now the car is running just fine. I installed the gauge to see if my stock fpr was going bad, but it’s holding strong. Maybe the injectors needed to be clean.

Last edited by QikEvo; Jul 22, 2018 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Misspellings