Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Modified 9 Thermostat to work in 8

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2018, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Modified 9 Thermostat to work in 8

So lately it seems finding the original Thermostat for an 8 is getting harder and harder to find. Some of you may have seen my tuning for colder thermostats thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...hermostat.html . Here I was able to find a colder thermostat and tune for it, though the thermostat I found was for a toyota variant. I have been looking for a colder one, and all I am finding are EVO 9 variants or the Mishimoto version (PART# MIS MMTS-EVO-01) which seems to cold. I swung for a Cosworth (PART# COS 20021033 ) and here is a picture from MAP, I have this unit in hand curretnly, and am about to give it the Skunkworks customization.... (https://www.maperformance.com/collec...tion-1999-2006). Now, this is a EVO 9 Variant and has the bypass portion attached at the bottom. However, it is the heat range or colder thermostat range I wish to try. I can not find the EVO 8 Variant of this unit. I have not been able to find the Ralliart variant for the 8 anymore.

Here's my thoughts. I am wondering and asking any one, I say again anyone: Has anyone cut off the bottom of a 9 thermostat, i.e. the bypass portion, and tried using a 9 thermostat in an 8. As I look the unit over, it looks possible to clip the bypass portion off of the bottom and still have a functioning thermostat. I am just curious if anyone has done it. @120.00 a unit, the last thing I want to do is butcher this thing, and realize it wont work. However, I need a solution.

Thanks in advance,

Old Aug 8, 2018, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
https://www.maperformance.com/produc...43463-md363571
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Barney, yes I know I can get one... I am looking for a colder thermostat but not the mishimoto... THis thread is about modifying the 9 thermostat to work on an 8 by removing the bypass portion...
Old Aug 8, 2018, 05:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I think he saying a colder thermostat is pointless.

I know in my car, it runs water at 205-210* on track. It already runs over the tstat temp. A colder one isn't going to make it run cooler..
The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (Aug 8, 2018)
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

I think he saying a colder thermostat is pointless.
I disagree, and not true. But everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have done the research and the testing and have results over the last two years to prove it. Either way, thanks for giving it a look.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Well, went for it. Customized the Cosworth 160 degree F / 71 Degree C thermostat for an EVO 9 into my 8. Fully functional, fully opens, and logs look good so far, temps hover around 165 degrees F or 74 C. Here is what it looked like before, and after:

Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
You wrote, "So lately it seems finding the original Thermostat for an 8 is getting harder and harder to find." No, it isn't. I like to tinker on my 15 year old car, I buy lots and lots of parts and the only thing I ever was unable to get was a new propeller shaft. They don't make it anymore, but the 9 fits and it is cheaper. I ordered the little plastic spacers for the fuel rail the other day and they are here on my desk. I've sold cars built by domestic makers when they were around 10 years old when OEM parts became scarce. So, the fact that Mitsubishi still supports my 15 year old car when the company is supposedly hanging by a financial thread makes me happy.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Barney, was not trying to start something here. Yes, you are correct , few places sell stock parts. None local over the counter, unless dealer or online was my point. More importantly, I was trying to find a colder thermostat for the 8 in a certain range. No need to take any offence to what I said.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:57 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Raceghost
No need to take any offence to what I said.
He didn't.