Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

SS fp green

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SS fp green

Whaddup boys.
I posted about an fp green not to long ago and finally got it in my hands after 2 months. Hopefully I can remember everything so I can get all the answers I’m looking for.

I understand the new Stainless steel turbine housing needs a different o2 housin so I just opted with STMs o2/downpipe. I still have to figure out a catback system since every titanium exhaust is on back order until late october🙄 (if any of you have something for sale let me know!)
Some of my questions are:
1.Will I need to run the filter that FP sells? It’s the journal bearing so will my oil line run off the head? Or will I have to go straight from the oil filter housing? I have a stock Evo 9 turbo setup right now.
2. Now that I have the 02 hosing and the turbo is essentially “bolt-on” would it be safe to install it and drive to my tuner? Given I drive it like a granny and keep it under 2.5k rpms. To put in perspective my tuner is 35 miles away so it’s not exactly close.
3. I have a Wally 255 and ID100s and run 93. If I want to dual map it for e85 will the 1000s make it? I know the fuel pump needs an upgrade but I’d rather order 1200s if my tuner is going to tell me that anyway. Lastly, what exactly do I need to run the dual map? I’m full bolt ons, cams, injectors/pump and tuned with a manual boost controller.

I think that’s about it for now, I feel like I’m forgetting something🙄 but on a good note I picked up my green for $1,099 from forced performance and now when I look at the website it’s $1,499! Guess I got a little lucky.

Thanks for any and all help guys!!!
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't have an FP turbo, but also running an OEM 9 turbo. Sometime in the future I'd like to go Green, but I can probably help answer a few questions.

1.Will I need to run the filter that FP sells? Reading their site selling the Green turbo, Yes. Will you have immediate failure not running their line and filter, probably not. But if they recommend it, that tells me if you do have issues down the road related to oiling, they will not warranty it. I believe the only line kits FP sell run directly from the oil filter housing, not the cylinder head. Make sure you give a good read regarding the oil type and weight to use, this can also void your warranty if you do not use an oil type and weight which provides the correct zinc count.
https://www.forcedperformance.net/me...otor%20Oil.pdf
2. would it be safe to install it and drive to my tuner? Maybe, talk to your tuner. Can they send you a base map to adjust and allow you to drive there? You maybe able to drive safe, just stay out of boost. Do you have an AFR gauge? I would want to monitor this as well.
3. If I want to dual map it for e85 will the 1000s make it? One an FP green and E85, I'm pretty certain you will max out these injectors, your tuner can let you know what they'd recommend injector size wise. Most people on here will tell you to go 2,000CC. Flex fuel would be ideal to run, so you never have to worry about changing maps between pump gas and E85 (search Fitronic flex fuel kit). Otherwise, you'll need to test E85 at the pumps when you utilize it and manually change maps when you run 93/91 Pump. I'm assuming you are on the stock ecu? So you'll have to have a laptop around to switch maps to do this.

Best of luck, hope you make tons of power
The following users liked this post:
kindelan4g63 (Aug 15, 2018)
Old Aug 23, 2018, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by SW20Mike
I don't have an FP turbo, but also running an OEM 9 turbo. Sometime in the future I'd like to go Green, but I can probably help answer a few questions.

1.Will I need to run the filter that FP sells? Reading their site selling the Green turbo, Yes. Will you have immediate failure not running their line and filter, probably not. But if they recommend it, that tells me if you do have issues down the road related to oiling, they will not warranty it. I believe the only line kits FP sell run directly from the oil filter housing, not the cylinder head. Make sure you give a good read regarding the oil type and weight to use, this can also void your warranty if you do not use an oil type and weight which provides the correct zinc count.
https://www.forcedperformance.net/me...otor%20Oil.pdf
2. would it be safe to install it and drive to my tuner? Maybe, talk to your tuner. Can they send you a base map to adjust and allow you to drive there? You maybe able to drive safe, just stay out of boost. Do you have an AFR gauge? I would want to monitor this as well.
3. If I want to dual map it for e85 will the 1000s make it? One an FP green and E85, I'm pretty certain you will max out these injectors, your tuner can let you know what they'd recommend injector size wise. Most people on here will tell you to go 2,000CC. Flex fuel would be ideal to run, so you never have to worry about changing maps between pump gas and E85 (search Fitronic flex fuel kit). Otherwise, you'll need to test E85 at the pumps when you utilize it and manually change maps when you run 93/91 Pump. I'm assuming you are on the stock ecu? So you'll have to have a laptop around to switch maps to do this.

Best of luck, hope you make tons of power
Hey, I tried emailing tscomp for the fitronic flex fuel kit but haven't had any luck yet. Do you know where I can pick them up brand new? or any other alternative flex fuel kit that can be married with the stock ecu?

Thanks !
Old Aug 23, 2018, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
As far as I know, there are only 2 authorized retailers now? But you're best off watching this Facebook page, he has a group buy for the kits every so often. Fitronic is the only kit im aware of that works with the factory ecu for flexfuel capability.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 08:40 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
As mentioned you want to run the oil line with filter in case an issue comes up. However, I had a brand new turbo that died right away despite having that, it did not help my claim LOL. No warranty.
your car will be safe to drive unless you have changed injectors. If so, get a base map first.
as mentioned, use the only oils they recommend on the list for warranty purposes. Also again, not that it would matter as I also used the recommended oil LOL
I say do what you want, in regards to the turbo, because following their instructions to a "T" did not help me get my turbo replaced.
also, hit up Jay at boostedtuning.com, you will need a $200 AEM e85 gauge and sensor, then he can tune It for flex fuel.
If you wait for TS comp, you may not get to drive your car for quite some time

Last edited by kaj; Aug 24, 2018 at 01:34 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Off the top of my head:
(1) run their oil line from the oil filter housing with their red filter for journal bearing turbos. I think this filter reduces the oil pressure going to your turbo. If you use oil from head, I think it doesn't flow enough oil for any turbo bigger than their 71HTA. Using oil from OFH, the red filter reduces oil pressure enough to prevent oil pushing into turbo compressor and cause your engine to burn oil (not to mention the oil mess in your intake pipes and manifold). I think the ball bearing versions are more sensitive than journal bearings and need the black filter.
(2) If you are still running your MAF, you can baby your car to tuner.
(3) You will need more fuel for E85. You will need at least a Wally 450 and 1400cc injectors. You cannot drive your car with larger injectors (or any other injectors) without a tune. You need to install larger fuel pump and drive to tuner early. Change injectors in their parking lot before the tuning session. Also, get 3-port boost controller and let ECU control boost and set max boost based on RPM and gear. If you haven't rewired your fuel pump yet, look into dual stage (just like oem) rewire.

Last edited by 2006EvoIXer; Aug 24, 2018 at 12:17 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

And switching maps is simple. Most common way is to turn ignition to ON without starting engine. Then press and hold gas pedal down and watch the check engine light blink. Tuners usually set slow blink for 91/93 tune and fast blink for E85 tune.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 01:28 AM
kaj

FWIW I made 480whp on a Walbro 255. Fuel pumps aren't needed until they are necessary. No rewire required.
your 1000cc injectors will get you right around 400-420whp, give or take.
I'm not sure why so many people want you to buy stuff you don't need. I.E. 2000cc injectors are good for 1000whp on pump, 700+ on e85. You only have an FP Green.
In all honesty, find someone who has done what you are looking to do ,and ask their advice/copy their build. Otherwise ,you are gonna get 100 different opinions; some of them will cost you a **** load of money that you just don't need to spend.

Last edited by kaj; Aug 24, 2018 at 01:38 AM.
kindelan4g63 (Aug 28, 2018)
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, for Wally 255, no rewire needed. That pump is more efficient and draws less than oem pump (while flowing more). But any other pump upgrades will start taxing oem wiring where voltage will start sagging under load. I have AEM 320 and was able to max out my 71HTA from 460whp to 485whp with rewire.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 02:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
Fwiw, my 255 pump( no rewire) was out of fuel at 430whp on a dynojet. A rewire at the least is needed .The factory wiring makes 11 volts at the pump. A 450 pump or equivalent pump would be may choice.
This is just what I’ve experienced with my own car on ethanol. Stock lines and rail.
255/1300 factory wiring. out at 430whp
450/1300 on factory wiring. Out at 470whp
450/1300 with a boost a pump at 14 volts close to out at 500whp
450/1700 with a boost a pump at 14 volts. 630whp @90% duty.
At the point you are paying to have it retuned ask your tuner what size injector he prefers that will make what that turbo can easily make on ethanol. That turbo will easily make 420whp on pump gas and 500whp+ on ethanol with the ss housing.
I would get some ID1700/ fic1650 ,so you can have it tuned and have some room to go.

Develop a plan and the outcome will be excellent.
Fresh plugs gapped at .020 , boost leak test etc..

Last edited by Abacus; Aug 25, 2018 at 03:56 PM.
kindelan4g63 (Aug 28, 2018)
Old Aug 25, 2018, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Abacus

255/1300 factory wiring. out at 430whp
450/1300 on factory wiring. Out at 470whp
450/1300 with a boost a pump at 14 volts close to out at 500whp
450/1700 with a boost a pump at 14 volts. 630whp @90% duty.
That's surprising how Wally 450 only makes 70whp over Wally 255 on same 1300cc injectors. Just shows that the 1300cc injectors became the clog after the pump was upsized. Thanks for sharing
Old Aug 25, 2018, 05:44 PM
kaj

Per VD my car made 470whp on a 255 and 1450cc injectors. My car always reads low compared to other cars with similar mods ,so take results with a grain of salt.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 07:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
That's surprising how Wally 450 only makes 70whp over Wally 255 on same 1300cc injectors. Just shows that the 1300cc injectors became the clog after the pump was upsized. Thanks for sharing
Its important to factor RPM and boost in these equations. A car could make 450whp at 30psi then taper to 400whp by 8000rpm with only 23psi . This is going to use less fuel then 450whp at 8000 with 30psi. The same argument could be said for turning the car 7500 instead of 8500. Fuel pressure is also a factor.
The 255 on stock wiring was only getting 11 volts not the 13.2 volts as its normally rated. Thats going to have a big effect on how it performs. A few people will agree that a high pressure 255 is good for around 500whp on ethanol in these cars with the proper voltage. Either way, the OP may need to plan on going with a bigger pump/injectors/voltage to cover his fuel demands.

FIC has an easy to use injector calculator.

https://fuelinjectorclinic.com/flow-calculator
Old Aug 28, 2018, 08:13 PM

Alright thank you guys. got some solid info out of all this. went ahead and got the filter and oil lines from fp so thats out of the way.
I understand installing injectors outside of tuner can be done if need be. Now my only real question remains fueling.

Im keeping my stock ecu.
If fitronic is the only kit that will work, isn't it designed to take over timing/fuel etc.. instead of me switching at a gas station with the ignition ON and gas pedal like mentioned from someone above? That sounds like a different flex fuel system. (Im totally new to flex fuel)
Lets say I go ahead and get the fitronic system, kept my id1000s, rewired the 255 would it be safe to say id see 400 on 93 with my tuners mustang dyno? I primarily run 93 but im super anxious to see what corn can do on the weekend and track days.

My main concern is the potential numbers I can make with the better setup. Would the 450 pump and 1700 injectors take me to 500whp while on e-85 with a SS green?

Cheers fellas, also, do I need to be an evolved member to have a profile pic? can't seem to figure it out on my laptop haha
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:09 AM
kaj

You don't need fitronic. You can also use the AEM gauge/sensor and run the output wire to your ecu. Will cost a total of about $205 and logs right to your ECU.
kindelan4g63 (Aug 31, 2018)