Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Yet another tranny knock (Yes i read the other forums)

Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yet another tranny knock (Yes i read the other forums)

I have read a lot of forums and no luck with a resolve.

Car Info
-The tranny is a 5 speed and the car is a 2005 Evo 8
-Transmission/transfer is stock 49500 miles on both
-Clutch is a ACT 6 puck sprung clutch / Flywheel is a Fidanza aluminum style No more than 2000 miles on both
-Clutch always had slight chatter ... especially during engine shut down and a slight shutter on take off
-AT SHUT DOWN, RIGHT BEFORE THE ENGINE WOULD FULLY STOP, IT WOULD SOUND LIKE A DEISEL KNOCK.
-Fluids are full and fresh with no metal

-Issue Info
-I sent it (Got on it) in a parking lot and did some spirited drifting
-After sending it, I noticed while making a sharp right to pull out onto the highway it had a knock sound... Wasn't sure from where
-Pulled over at a gas station and did an inspection
-The Knocking is coming from the transmission/transfer
-The knocking is random... ie... knock.knock.knock.....knock.....knock..knock. ( this repeats but not in the same order and the "...." is ment to show pause in the noise) The link attached is very similar to the sound mine is making
-While stationary and at idle with the clutch pedal pressed to the floor (down) the noise stops... no noise under idle or if it is revved while clutch is pressed down.
-While stationary and at idle with the clutch pedal released (up) the noise appears again and seems to go away or gets drowned out by the noise of the engine when revved
-While stationary and at idle with clutch out (up) and with the wheels turned in either direction in the full turn position (the steering wheel is maxed out and held there) the noise gets louder and more constant) Maybe because there is slight load on the engine?
- On the way home, I downshifted for a high RPM to let it slow the car and I heard some kind of grind/knock until I pressed the clutch in.. 9This was isolated, I tried to replicate with no luck)
-Other than what was stated above, While driving the vehicle and shifting up and down, you cant hear anything, nor is there a change in performance

Any Idea what this may be??

From reading other threads, it shouldn't be the following
-Throw out Bearing
-Vibration gear noise (Never made this noise until spirited driving)
-Input shaft from what I have researched it is more constant and you can hear it wile driving / decelerating.

Last edited by marinejensen; Aug 18, 2018 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Link
The following users liked this post:
br3akrboi (Jun 22, 2019)
Old Aug 18, 2018, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Remove the cover and check for play in the flywheel.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
okay.. I'll let you know what the verdict is. I have not been able to get hands on the car since I parked it. I will be able to mess with it tom. That's why I came here to get ideas so I didnt go in blind. Thank you.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Interested in this as well... Let me know what you find. I have the same thing going on with Stage 4 Competition clutch and ACT Prolight Flywheel.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
No play in the flywheel. I also did a clutch adjustment and that did nothing. It seems as if when it's cool it doesn't make the noise at all when the wheel is straight and the clutch paddle is out. But cold or warm with the clutch pedal out and the steering wheel maxed out in one direction it has the knock.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Raceghost
Interested in this as well... Let me know what you find. I have the same thing going on with Stage 4 Competition clutch and ACT Prolight Flywheel.
same symptoms and everything or?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Similiar symptoms. With car elevated on lift, CLutch engaged and tires rolling, you cant hear the noise. Clutch engaged in neutral no load, holding revs between 3500 and 4000 RPM's, you get the most loudest ping from the transmission. Adjusted load cells on the knock sensor, and sure enough, it sends the knock sensor into overload and accounts 36 counts of knock. Below 3500 RPMS and Above 4000 RPMS, no issues, its just right at those RPMS, and it is the transmission. Did 3 hours of testing on Saturday, trying to account for everything. Had 3 guys with stethoscopes listening to the motor and trans, and all noise comes from the transmission. Its there when the tires are rolling at that RPM though not audible because of all the noise from the exhaust, etc. But in neutral, you can hear it over everything.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

Similiar symptoms. With car elevated on lift, CLutch engaged and tires rolling, you cant hear the noise. Clutch engaged in neutral no load, holding revs between 3500 and 4000 RPM's, you get the most loudest ping from the transmission. Adjusted load cells on the knock sensor, and sure enough, it sends the knock sensor into overload and accounts 36 counts of knock. Below 3500 RPMS and Above 4000 RPMS, no issues, its just right at those RPMS, and it is the transmission. Did 3 hours of testing on Saturday, trying to account for everything. Had 3 guys with stethoscopes listening to the motor and trans, and all noise comes from the transmission. Its there when the tires are rolling at that RPM though not audible because of all the noise from the exhaust, etc. But in neutral, you can hear it over everything.
I'll prolly just call Jack's and see what they think. I did the same but with a scew driver lol and it sounds to me as if it is comming from the bell housing. There alot of forums with these issues but everybody's idea of a knock or ping or screech always seem to be different and I think thats why most do no get resolved without involving a dealership. I absolutely hate anyone touching my car and my work but I may have to break down and take it in. I'm going to a school soon so it prolly qont get done until October. If I do go before I go to school, I'll let you know what they say.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone else car to take a stab? I can upload a video of my car specific tom.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Is yours built by Jacks, mine is also, Stage 2 drag build, with 411 HKS FInals, Competition Stage 4 single disc clutch and ACT FLywheel... Interesting if yours is a Jacks also... Mine comes from the Bell housing, yes... Sounds like someone taking a hammer to a bell @ 4000 RPMS... If someone could hit a bell that many times that fast...
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Doing a whole lot of guessing when you could've had the trans out already and really see if it's a clutch issue or you need to send the trans out.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

Is yours built by Jacks, mine is also, Stage 2 drag build, with 411 HKS FInals, Competition Stage 4 single disc clutch and ACT FLywheel... Interesting if yours is a Jacks also... Mine comes from the Bell housing, yes... Sounds like someone taking a hammer to a bell @ 4000 RPMS... If someone could hit a bell that many times that fast...
no it is stock.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Doing a whole lot of guessing when you could've had the trans out already and really see if it's a clutch issue or you need to send the trans out.
well thanks for responding but your assumptions are incorrect. I work a 730 to unknown hour job, I do not have access to a garage due to my hours and where I live, and getting ready to make a big move so I do not want to allocate funds towards a shop doing the work for me. In October I will have the opportunity to have the car either inspected for me or pull the transmission myself.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:59 PM
Evolving Member

I'll call them in the morning and let you know what they say.

Search this Thread