Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 8 trouble starting

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo 8 trouble starting

hey guys! I have a 2003 Evo 8. Recently it started not reaching full boost (super laggy and peaked at 17-18 instead of 22). Then trouble idling, and wanted to die when coming to a stop. Blip the throttle, rpm’s would drop and die. Started looking at all the vacuum lines and found one vacuum line disconnected from the EGR valve. Connected it back, started her up, and idled perfect....for like 5 second. Died again, but have not been able to start it at all since. Just a couple of days. Turns over fine tho. Checked every single vacuum line, all are ok. Checked any electrical connections (I.e. solenoids and such), they’re good. No burnt fuses.
Engine throwing codes P0107 and P0113.
P0107 is for the MAP sensor. Took it off and cleaned it well. Nothing.
P0113 is for the IAT sensor. But from what I’ve read, this simply will throw a code, but not have any real symptoms. So kind of at loss guys.
I know there are many experienced members on this forum, so any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance!

Last edited by BTW_Evo8; Sep 26, 2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by BTW_Evo8
hey guys! I have a 2003 Evo 8. Recently it started not reaching full boost (super laggy and peaked at 17-18 instead of 22). Then trouble idling, and wanted to die when coming to a stop. Blip the throttle, rpm’s would drop and die. Started looking at all the vacuum lines and found one vacuum line disconnected from the EGR valve. Connected it back, started her up, and idled perfect....for like 5 second. Died again, but have not been able to start it at all since. Just a couple of days. Turns over fine tho. Checked every single vacuum line, all are ok. Checked any electrical connections (I.e. solenoids and such), they’re good. No burnt fuses.
P0113 is for the IAT sensor. But from what I’ve read, this simply will throw a code, but not have any real symptoms. So kind of at loss guys.
I know there are many experienced members on this forum, so any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance!
Both sensors are in the same device.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by barneyb
if that’s the case, and both codes are thrown, could that mean that the sensor is dead?
Also, I saw a video with an Evo owner cleaning his, but unlike his sensor, mine has a black plastic tip with a small hole with an o-ring that plugs into the IM. His was just open. Can this tip be removed to clean it better? It didn’t seem to want to budge, and I didn’t want to force it and break it.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Check if any pins have backed out of the electrical connector.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:32 AM

Check if any pins have backed out of the electrical connector.
theyre good man. Could it be that the sensor needs to be replaced since it’s throwing both codes?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Then trouble idling, and wanted to die when coming to a stop. Blip the throttle, rpm’s would drop and die. Started looking at all the vacuum lines and found one vacuum line disconnected from the EGR valve. Connected it back, started her up, and idled perfect....for like 5 second. Died again, but have not been able to start it at all since. Just a couple of days. Turns over fine tho. Checked every single vacuum line, all are ok. Checked any electrical connections (I.e. solenoids and such),
I had this happen to me, it was my IAC ( sensor on the trottle body) starting to go out. It control the amount of air going inside the engine while the motor is running. There is a test on youtube. I used the camera on my phone to record to see if the actuator was moving all the way and it was not. Hope this help
Old Oct 3, 2018, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by gqcode
I had this happen to me, it was my IAC ( sensor on the trottle body) starting to go out. It control the amount of air going inside the engine while the motor is running. There is a test on youtube. I used the camera on my phone to record to see if the actuator was moving all the way and it was not. Hope this help
I keep reading about how it’s affected poeple’s idle, but haven’t seen yet about someone’s Evo not starting because of it. So your Evo wouldn’t even start, and the iac was the problem??

Last edited by BTW_Evo8; Oct 3, 2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

After a while it wouldn't start because the valve was fully open instead of being close. I ran my IAC until it was dead. At that point the car wouldn't start at all.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

So your Evo wouldn’t even start, and the iac was the problem??
yes it woulnt start because of it. Bought another one and no problem after that
Old Oct 4, 2018, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by gqcode
After a while it wouldn't start because the valve was fully open instead of being close. I ran my IAC until it was dead. At that point the car wouldn't start at all.
ok awesome man, thanks a lot. That makes sense. I’ll check it out!
Old Oct 8, 2018, 03:44 PM

So I did the iacv text, and it seems to be working properly. So I’m at a loss. I have a code thrown for my IAC sensor...what do you guys think? Could my IACV still be faulty, or possibly just the IAC sensor that needs to be replaced? Just want another opinion before I start ordering parts. Lol I’m thinking it’ll be something related to it tho. thanks guys.

Last edited by BTW_Evo8; Oct 8, 2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep reading about how it’s affected poeple’s idle, but haven’t seen yet about someone’s Evo not starting because of it. So your Evo wouldn’t even start, and the iac was the problem??

by affecting idle would this mean turning off at a stop sign or turning off while changing gears on a turn? I kinda need help because my evo has been acting up by turning off at random times while driving but it always starts up.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
The MAP sensor and the IAT sensor are most definitely not in the "same device".

You are thinking of the MAF sensor.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
How did you check your vacuum lines?

I would say this is vacuum leak.

Perform full vacuum leak test from turbo.

Goodluck

Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Project_Broke
The MAP sensor and the IAT sensor are most definitely not in the "same device".

You are thinking of the MAF sensor.
You are right, I read it as MAF.