Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Whine when gas applied - need help asap!

Old Sep 28, 2018, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Whine when gas applied - need help asap!

Hey everyone,

So I'm supposed to leave within 48 hours for a 700 mile trip and my Evo has been sitting for some time after a head rebuilt and new timing components installed. So I took it for a little drive and everything seemed fine, however 5 minutes on the drive, the car begins to whine when the gas is applied.. I thought it was the transfer case but even when parked and in neutral it whines.. so it seems the whine is coming from the right side where the belts are. Attached is a video of the whine. Does anyone know what could cause this or why it's whining?? Any input would help! Thanks

Seems to be coming from this general area

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Sep 28, 2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 07:57 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hope you dont mind, but fixed your Vid link

Yeah, certainly can hear that. How many miles have you logged since the head & time belt work?

It sounds rotational. Wonder if the TB tensioner has something to do w/this? or the accessory belt tensioner?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Hope you dont mind, but fixed your Vid link

Yeah, certainly can hear that. How many miles have you logged since the head & time belt work?

It sounds rotational. Wonder if the TB tensioner has something to do w/this? or the accessory belt tensioner?
Lol thanks! Literally my dad drove it home from the shop about 3 weeks ago (20ish miles) and it's been sitting since
Old Sep 28, 2018, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
tension the timing belt correctly. should fix it.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
I also think timing belt could be on too tight. But before that, pull off your serpentine belt and run your engine again to see if noise is still there. If it is, then take off timing belt cover is look at position of tensioner pully. If you have oem timing belt, position should be really close to photo:
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:19 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Uncommon, but I once had a car with a very similar sound. The bolt that held the balance shaft, for the oil pump, had come loose. That allowed the gears to move around, resulting in a "super charger" type of whine. The movement of the upper gear allowed it to shear aluminium from the pump, which got into the bearings ,which caused rod knock and killed a crankshaft.
I only mention it because everyone will cover the basic stuff (hopefully that's all it is) but, just in case..... I can't image the shop touched the oil pump or balance shaft if all they did was a timing belt.
If you have a stethoscope, check for sound down near the oil pump, pullies, etc.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

So I brought it to a shop cause I honestly didnt have any time to do it myself.. and they said that it was a new automatic belt tensioner and over time, the belt will stretch out and adjust it to it
Old Sep 29, 2018, 01:49 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by 4G63_Crazy
So I brought it to a shop cause I honestly didnt have any time to do it myself.. and they said that it was a new automatic belt tensioner and over time, the belt will stretch out and adjust it to it
H​​​ell no. Take it to another shop
Old Sep 29, 2018, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
LOL!!...
that is awesome...

yea... "that sound is normal... it will fix itself"

im with kaj.... they have no idea.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hutch959
LOL!!...
that is awesome...

yea... "that sound is normal... it will fix itself"

im with kaj.... they have no idea.
Yea.. I was also confused.. I drove the car around it seemed to be fine... But the whining is getting louder.. or maybe it's just me, but right now I'm outta time... So I don't know what I'm gonna do
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by 4G63_Crazy
Yea.. I was also confused.. I drove the car around it seemed to be fine... But the whining is getting louder.. or maybe it's just me, but right now I'm outta time... So I don't know what I'm gonna do
Rent a car. Deal with it when you get back.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

Ok update. I had no other choice but to take the car cause it's not a vacation, it's college. The car made the drive and ran amazing actually, but the whining noise is still there... So gonna bring it to another shop and have them look at the tensions again...

Search this Thread