Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

egr delete/plugging head question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
egr delete/plugging head question

So I did the egr delete without a tune. Been running like that since a good year no issues, but mpg did go down. Now since I have my transfercase/transmission out the intake manifold is pretty easy (well, easier) to take out. Plugging the head for the hot exhaust gasses, will I need a tune after doing this? Can I run the car as is or is there a benefit modifying the ecu that is laid out on this write up? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...anister.html)? I live in FL so I don't have any emissions/inspections or anything.

Also, is there enough space to tap into the head while the head is on the car with the intake manifold off or can you just plug it from the intake manifold side?

Last edited by CaptainSquirts; Oct 8, 2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Oct 10, 2018, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
as far as tune is concerned... i would thing EGR block off and blocking off at head has exactly the same effect.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
So I did the egr delete without a tune. Been running like that since a good year no issues, but mpg did go down. Now since I have my transfercase/transmission out the intake manifold is pretty easy (well, easier) to take out. Plugging the head for the hot exhaust gasses, will I need a tune after doing this? Can I run the car as is or is there a benefit modifying the ecu that is laid out on this write up? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...anister.html)? I live in FL so I don't have any emissions/inspections or anything.

Also, is there enough space to tap into the head while the head is on the car with the intake manifold off or can you just plug it from the intake manifold side?
I would also like to know this too, as i did mine earlier this year but haven't done the latter.

Old Oct 11, 2018, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Is there a link to plugging the head? The above link does not work.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-canister.html
Old Oct 19, 2018, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

How tight does the plug have to be into the head? I was able to tap it while the head was on the car(was annoying to do, I'm sure it would've been a lot easier if I had the right tools). I put mine in and fingered tight it with red loctite(not sure if the loctite will hold to how hot the egr gasses can get). I wasn't sure if you need to crank it super hard in the head, was scared to stripe or damage the thread tap I did.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If u plug the head the intake won't be as hot .
Old Oct 19, 2018, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tauro91
If u plug the head the intake won't be as hot .
I get that, but the hot gasses that hits the plugged head, won't that get stupid hot thus making the loctite null on the plug?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
edit: delete
Old Oct 19, 2018, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
I get that, but the hot gasses that hits the plugged head, won't that get stupid hot thus making the loctite null on the plug?
No, it's all intake air, the plug is technically steonger than the little gasket and egr delete delete caps on the intake they sell .
​​​​
Old Oct 19, 2018, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tauro91
No, it's all intake air, the plug is technically steonger than the little gasket and egr delete delete caps on the intake they sell .
​​​​
Ok just trying to make sense of it. So I have the egr off with the block plate installed, also I plugged the head(the little hole in the head). I don't know how the egr system flow works so I dont know the flow. But does the gasses come from the head, to the intake or is it vice versa. I thought gasses come from exhaust gasses, but it recirculates from the head, to the intake which goes to the egr and back into the intake manifold?

If it works how I think it does then the hot gasses would still touch the plug I put onto the head thus gets stupid hot thus loctite would be useless.

Sorry for the dumb questions.

Last edited by CaptainSquirts; Oct 19, 2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 09:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I drill and tap for 1/4' NPT plugs, and use brass. I've done like 5 now. Always wuss out and seem to not drill deep enough so I have to grind the plug down flush lol. Haven't had any issues. I get them in there pretty tight.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I drill and tap for 1/4' NPT plugs, and use brass. I've done like 5 now. Always wuss out and seem to not drill deep enough so I have to grind the plug down flush lol. Haven't had any issues. I get them in there pretty tight.
Ok cool, I didn't do it super deep either. So I should not have a problem tightening it down pretty hard then?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Yeah. Usually the steel Allen key starts to slip in the brass anyways. The head is pretty hard aluminum, I wouldn't worry too much about stripping it.