Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rear differential horrors. Weir 12 plate, installer error, and more.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2018, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the info, and sorry you had to go through this.
Quick question about the driveshaft, I’m assuming it’s a Drive shaft shop carbon fiber unit? Any issues with it or the install? Pros & cons? I’ve been thinking about pulling the trigger but would love some input from someone who’ll be a straight shooter. Thanks
Old Dec 22, 2018, 02:53 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by APEXR
Thanks for the info, and sorry you had to go through this.
Quick question about the driveshaft, I’m assuming it’s a Drive shaft shop carbon fiber unit? Any issues with it or the install? Pros & cons? I’ve been thinking about pulling the trigger but would love some input from someone who’ll be a straight shooter. Thanks
​​​​​​Bolt on and go. I'm told decel should be smoother (CF > steel when it comes to harmonics dampening) , which it seems like it is ,though it may be power of suggestion. LOL
I bought it because I'm trying to get the car under 3000lbs.
The following users liked this post:
APEXR (Dec 22, 2018)
Old Dec 22, 2018, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
​​​​​​Bolt on and go. I'm told decel should be smoother (CF > steel when it comes to harmonics dampening) , which it seems like it is ,though it may be power of suggestion. LOL
I bought it because I'm trying to get the car under 3000lbs.
The power of suggestion is usually what wins over my bank balance.
I’m not as concerned with weight, but making the car better in one area without losing somewhere else I like.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 06:06 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by APEXR

The power of suggestion is usually what wins over my bank balance.
I’m not as concerned with weight, but making the car better in one area without losing somewhere else I like.
I haven't found a disadvantage ,yet. Only pluses. While researching CF shafts prior to purchasing, I found a video that compared them to steel and even aluminum. I was sold. Check out YouTube. There are some convincing, third-party videos.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 09:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 160 Likes on 117 Posts
Mmmm that TRE rear diff looks so good!
Old Mar 24, 2019, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
So what are our viable options for clutch packs? OEM discs look like they go for $70 each and the TRE upgrade isn't cost effective unless you're really needing it.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:02 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Turtletron
So what are our viable options for clutch packs? OEM discs look like they go for $70 each and the TRE upgrade isn't cost effective unless you're really needing it.
I'm pretty sure the TRE upgrade is cheaper than buying new OEM plates. Shep does an "upgrade", but all they do is add more OEM plates to your existing set. Not sure how that plays out, if your OEM stuff is old and worn. I guess it would be a band-aid fix and help some....? I voted "no" on that one and went with TRE. That diff straight HOOKS UP now. Between that and the tuned ACD, the car feels very much RWD in the turns, just the way I like it.