Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Manley Piston Ring Gap

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manley Piston Ring Gap

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience with Manley piston ring gap? Apparently Manley uses Total Seal piston rings in their kits.
I am using Manley 85.5mm pistons. Goal is to run 500-550hp atw with FP Black. It'll be mostly street driven and occasional track days.

Which application would I suit best? I noticed that Manley recommends top and second to have the same gap. However, second ring is normally larger than top ring according to other manufacturers to reduce ring flutter. I was suggested to go with High Boost 30lb+ application. However, 0.008" per bore inch seems a bit too excessive? I'm abit confused as Manley's/Total Seal's guidelines are really different to others. What would you recommend?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Second gap larger, you don't want a higher pressure between the rings than above or below them. I don't remember off the top of my head what I set mine at but I know the second ring was somewhere around the .027" area, it's not unreasonable at all.

Best way to look at it is like this, you set em a tad loose and have a little bit extra blowby, or you set them a bit too tight and have to rebuild the motor.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 08:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
That's yuge for the top ring (the .008" per inch of bore). You'll be fine with .018" top and .024"-.028" bottom. The bottom isn't really as crucial, you want whatever gets past the top ring to be able to get out. Just make sure all the top rings are within a thou of each other.

At the same time, rings don't really have blow by issues until the gap gets too big to measure with a feeler gauge set, so, it's kinda up to you...

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Dec 21, 2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. So your saying I should ignore the manufacturers recommendation?