Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Spark plugs heat range choice!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark plugs heat range choice!

hello guys. I am about to change my spark plugs on my Evo Ix. My mods are full peripherial with gsc s2. Stock turbo. I 'll replace my stock spark plugs with HKS. I need heat range 8 or 9 ?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Get OEM plugs, or NGK OEM replacements. You don't need to change heat range until 7-800whp range..
Old Jan 3, 2019, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
NGK... stock temp
Old Jan 3, 2019, 05:52 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Oem ngk.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OP if you can’t get oem ngk equiv in Greece and can more easily get the hks, get the m35iL.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 04:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
oem or ngk no need to raise the heat level for the mod you have
Old Jan 4, 2019, 04:45 AM

Thanks to all of you guys . I just ordered the HKS #8 heat range. it has the same price as the NGK so i ll try them
Old Jan 4, 2019, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Why ask for advice if you're going to ignore it?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 08:57 AM

i didnt ignore it. but i spoke to more people and said if its the same price you can take 1 step colder.is this a problem for you ?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by llDemonll
How do you know the advice was not considered?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

You might not run at an optimum set-up by putting in colder plugs in your engine. If you understand what the heat level of a plug does in the combustion chamber, while your trying to get the maximum hp out of the motor. Plugs might fouled because there are a step too cold. Our car are very sensitive to any mod so I hope it work out for you.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by gqcode
You might not run at an optimum set-up by putting in colder plugs in your engine. If you understand what the heat level of a plug does in the combustion chamber, while your trying to get the maximum hp out of the motor. Plugs might fouled because there are a step too cold. Our car are very sensitive to any mod so I hope it work out for you.
so you are sayin that a colder plug couldnt do the job?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

It will not operate in the heat range it was designed for. The colder the plugs the more heat it remove from the chamber. The combustion chamber make the most power at temperature X if you had a colder plugs now you are running under temperature X less desirable condition. Im sure you didn't have no issue with the oem plugs so why change. Just do a little more research on the subject but science and the basic of the heat range remain the same ( transfer heat from combustion chamber to the block). Temperature raise as you make more boost and advance your timing. Its really not about the price of your plugs, it about what work with your set-up and understand the science behind it. Will all learned here, I asked that same question years ago my car didn't like it and wasted my money. I had to research it to understand and it made me better. Were all just trying to help you out but in the end you choose. As I said I hope it work and doesn't hurt your car performance over time.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 01:10 PM

It will not operate in the heat range it was designed for. The colder the plugs the more heat it remove from the chamber. The combustion chamber make the most power at temperature X if you had a colder plugs now you are running under temperature X less desirable condition. Im sure you didn't have no issue with the oem plugs so why change. Just do a little more research on the subject but science and the basic of the heat range remain the same ( transfer heat from combustion chamber to the block). Temperature raise as you make more boost and advance your timing. Its really not about the price of your plugs, it about what work with your set-up and understand the science behind it. Will all learned here, I asked that same question years ago my car didn't like it and wasted my money. I had to research it to understand and it made me better. Were all just trying to help you out but in the end you choose. As I said I hope it work and doesn't hurt your car performance over time.
I really appreciate people here because they are in great knowledge that's why I ask you opinions. I 'll maybe change my order to the same hks heat range
Old Jan 7, 2019, 03:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Get OEM plugs, or NGK OEM replacements. You don't need to change heat range until 7-800whp range..
Originally Posted by hutch959
NGK... stock temp
Originally Posted by kaj
Oem ngk.
oem or ngk no need to raise the heat level for the mod you have
Originally Posted by Nikoro
Thanks to all of you guys . I just ordered the HKS #8 heat range. it has the same price as the NGK so i ll try them
Originally Posted by llDemonll

Nothing like an askhole.