Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

evo 8 cam install w/o removing tb

Old Jan 6, 2019, 06:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
evo 8 cam install w/o removing tb

I recently was able to get a deal on some hks cams and wanted to drop them into my 8. I read a few articles and watched a few youtube videos and have a few more questions. I will not be removing the timing belt, but a lot of what i seen have say you take the tension off. I do not have the tensioner tool myself and do not want to buy it if i dont need to. I do have a metal cam lock tool (locks the cams at dtc) and was wondering if i could lock the cams with it and not need to worry about reliving the tension off the belt doing one cam at a time or would it just be easier to take the tension off. Also another thing i realized that varied was the opinion on bleeding the lifters, some say is necessary to prevent valve damage whilel others say its not and they have done the swap in well under a hour.

on a final note, what seals are needed. I know for sure to get new camshaft seals and a new valvecover/ sparkplug gasket set. just want to make sure I have all the replacement seals ready for a tear it all apart.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
The seals you mentioned are what’s needed. You might as well buy the timing belt tools for the job, The car is not going to stay in time while you drop in cams.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
From memory, I recommend you turn the engine position to 90° before or after TDC on crankshaft gear. Then mark the timing belt and each sprocket (oil, exhaust cam, intake cam, and crank) so you can put belt back in same position. Then release tension and swap your cams. Compress your tensioner slowly and insert pin. When done, reinstall by using your cam lock and make sure your marks all line up before releasing pin.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

I forgot to mention: under no circumstances do you turn the crankshaft with belt off or with timing marks misaligned!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
you have to have the tool.
you have to release the tension off the belt.

there are tons of videos and threads on how to do this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hutch959
you have to have the tool.
you have to release the tension off the belt.

there are tons of videos and threads on how to do this.
I think you can release the top right bolt to release the tensioner. Then remove and use a big C clamp to compress step by step with tensioner upright and insert a pin or drill bit.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 06:27 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
buy the tool, or make one with a threaded rod if you really don't want to spend the money. Be ready to retime the engine if you screw something up. You should bleed the lash adjusters.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Short cuts are never good, do it the way it's suppose to be done......
If money is an issue, wait till you get the tool or pay a someone who's done it....
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You have to use the tool to compress the tensioner. It also holds it in place while the belt is off, otherwise it will fully extend and you'll never get the belt off.

However, I don't recommend doing it this way. I really prefer to take the lower cover off. It's too easy for the belt to move on the oil pump and then the balance shaft will be out of time, and you won't know it until it's all back together and running.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

^^what he said. Expect the timing belt to fall off timing at crank or oil sprocket. Without tension it falls off too easily. Mark your belt at each sprocket, so you are not guessing when reinstalling.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

I just realized that you are trying to avoid all the work to remove the lower timing belt cover. Are you careful enough to keep the belt from slipping a tooth or 2 on crank or oil sprocket? If this is your first time, 99% chance it will happen. Tension tool will make your life much easier where you don't screw around with tensioner, but you will likely be reinstalling your timing belt. Plan for it so you don't get frustrated and start beating your engine with a hammer later.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 03:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
I just realized that you are trying to avoid all the work to remove the lower timing belt cover. Are you careful enough to keep the belt from slipping a tooth or 2 on crank or oil sprocket? If this is your first time, 99% chance it will happen. Tension tool will make your life much easier where you don't screw around with tensioner, but you will likely be reinstalling your timing belt. Plan for it so you don't get frustrated and start beating your engine with a hammer later.
i seen a few vidoes and right ups where people do it fine with out removing everything. what I am asking is if I use a cam lock, could I just pop off one cam pulley at a time with enough clearance to pull the camshaft with out relieving tension. If i have to retime it then screw it I can take everything apart. But from what i seen a lot of people have successfully with out removing everything.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 05:02 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
you have to release the tension. If you don't as soon as you pull that cam gear off your losing the belt.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 03:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Timf91
i seen a few vidoes and right ups where people do it fine with out removing everything. what I am asking is if I use a cam lock, could I just pop off one cam pulley at a time with enough clearance to pull the camshaft with out relieving tension..
No, you can not. You absolutely 100% must use the tensioner tool. The cam lock tool is for holding the cams in place while removing and/or installing the belt because their natural "resting" position is not correct for timing they get moved out of time by valve spring pressure.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

This is a disaster in the making...
If this is your first time, plan on reinstalling your timing belt. Make sure your pistons are 90° before TDC before you start so you don't get any valves hitting your piston. And mark your timing belt with each gear/sprocket so you can put it back right.

Search this Thread