Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Who Would Be Interested in a Drop In EFR Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 07:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
ALL motorsports turbochargers are water cooled regardless of CHRA material lol

Except Precision. But thats because they use an old Garrett design.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 07:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
It's not a stressed member, nor does the center housing get nearly that hot. You can paint center housings with non high temp paint and it won't flake off. Most turbine housings are made of a high nickel alloy steel like inconel or in the the case of EFR stuff it's stainless, and the thermal properties of those metals do a good job of keeping the heat in the turbine housing without letting the center housing to get even close to the 950C number you said.

Furthermore I wouldn't run ANY turbo on a road course car without water cooling, it's a really good way to coke the oil and have it break down at an accelerated rate. You should double check to make sure those motorsports cars don't run water cooling because Garrett is a HUGE proponent of using water cooled turbos. If by chance they aren't running water cooling, I can assure you that they're changing oil between every race, which can be a considerable expense for an average privateer.

This isn't a Garrett vs Borg Warner thread. The EFR stuff has been out for around 15 years now and is still run on some of the fastest time attack cars in the world, it's pretty well proven.

I'll be reaching out to companies throughout this week to see if I can find a company that's interested in marketing this housing. Today I also had someone send me this:
Facebook Post

It looks like Driven Fabrication is going to be offering EFR bolt in turbos for the Evo X. Unfortunately we can't run it as we got the short end of the stick since the X doesn't use a reverse rotation turbo like the 8/9 does so we can't just machine a stock housing.

Last edited by Ayoustin; Jan 15, 2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
ALL motorsports turbochargers are water cooled regardless of CHRA material lol

Except Precision. But thats because they use an old Garrett design.
Actually, the Garrett Motorsports turbos are not. I'm talking WRC, Rally-X, FIA, SuperGT, DTM, LMP, Ferrari F1 turbos. The stuff you can buy only if you're a pro motorsports team.

For example, here's a picture I found of a Garrett Motorsports TR30R with cast iron center housing and no water cooling. This one looks to be using a SS turbine housing instead of inconel, but it looks like it has the magnesium compressor housing:

Old Jan 15, 2019, 08:03 PM
EvoM Guru

So turbos not available for consumer purchase. Got it. Now let's please keep that out of this thread because it's not about any of that.

if someone doesn't want to run water cooling they can purchase an EFR with a cast iron center housing and plug the water ports and see how tht works for them.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
It's not a stressed member, nor does the center housing get nearly that hot. You can paint center housings with non high temp paint and it won't flake off. Most turbine housings are made of a high nickel alloy steel like inconel or in the the case of EFR stuff it's stainless, and the thermal properties of those metals do a good job of keeping the heat in the turbine housing without letting the center housing to get even close to the 950C number you said.

Furthermore I wouldn't run ANY turbo on a road course car without water cooling, it's a really good way to coke the oil and have it break down at an accelerated rate. You should double check to make sure those motorsports cars don't run water cooling because Garrett is a HUGE proponent of using water cooled turbos. If by chance they aren't running water cooling, I can assure you that they're changing oil between every race, which can be a considerable expense for an average privateer.
Check the temps after going down the Mulsanne straight. Spend enough time at WOT, and the heat will conduct from the turbine housing to the center housing. And yes, Garrett is a huge proponent of using water cooling with the turbos you can buy because it significantly reduces the chances of oil coking when used in cars that are turned on and off a lot and people don't want to replace their turbos every season. Or if used on the street. So yes, all their performance aftermarket turbos should be water-cooled.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:13 AM
EvoM Guru

@kikiturbo could you get me a rough measurement of the diameter of the compressor cover on your 7163?

I have very little doubt that the B1 frame stuff will have any issue fitting in stock location, I think the "B" compressor cover might be a squeeze, it only looks a tad higher than the "A" comp cover but I don't think the "C" cover will have any chance of fitting. The 7670 is the largest turbo that uses the "B" cover.

Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
@kikiturbo could you get me a rough measurement of the diameter of the compressor cover on your 7163?

I have very little doubt that the B1 frame stuff will have any issue fitting in stock location, I think the "B" compressor cover might be a squeeze, it only looks a tad higher than the "A" comp cover but I don't think the "C" cover will have any chance of fitting. The 7670 is the largest turbo that uses the "B" cover.

it is 167 mm...
Old Jan 17, 2019, 01:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Wow that's smaller than stock. I measured my stock cover at like 7" the other night.

I also got ahold of someone who has a couple efrs sitting around and the C cover measures out at like 8.5"
Old Jan 17, 2019, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
yeah, but the WG canister gets in the way...

as I said.. my complete setup doesnt protrude further from the block than the OE solution... your challenge is making a cast manifold that bends enough to work with normal rotation turbo unit..
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:03 PM
EvoM Guru

It's possible, after all ATP has already done it. And the canister will be out the outside next to the rad like stock so it should be possible to make the turbo hug the block a tad more.