Rebuilt Forged Engine Run-In - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rebuilt Forged Engine Run-In

Old Feb 13, 2019, 02:51 AM

Rebuilt Forged Engine Run-In

Hi there all, hope you are doing well.

I am about to rebuild my lump with new forged internals.

I have Bridgeway rods, Wiesco pistons and rings, ACL big ends, ACL mains and thrusts. I also have new 3mm lifters, valve stem seams and OEM gasket.

I'm keeping stock cams for the run in process. I'll be running 1000cc injectors too. I've also rebuilt my turbo with new internals and was planning on doing the 20G compressor wheel upgrade but this is where my problem lies.

I've got to get the turbo balanced either way but I'm worried doing the compressor upgrade will mess with the map too much for the run in process as over in the UK it's a lot harder to get someone do do a cheap "street" tune so you can run it in. Also, all the sources I've read say you should run the engine in hard for it to perform at its best. I don't wanna run it in hard when it doesn't really know it's own perameters.

So, do I have it balanced with the original wheel, do the run in and then do the 20G wheel upgrade and have it balanced again after the run in when doing the cams or?

Also, if anyone else knows or has had experience running in a forged motor, please help me out

Many thanks.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 03:59 AM
Evolved Member

first, I would build the engine complete.. i.e. cams turbo, everything..

what you want to do is put in the injectors that you have a map for... so if you had original engine before, put in stock injectors, turn down the boost, and run it on MAF as it did before.. is should work good enought for running in...
Old Feb 13, 2019, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

If you have a good tuner, there is no reason to not simply build your new setup.

For break-in I like to fairly quickly progress RPM/throttle over the first 100 miles or so, then it goes on the dyno for final tuning. A new engine isn't as hypersensitive to needing to follow a strict break in procedure as people think. If it takes a few tries to get it started and stay running while the tune gets worked out, it's not hurting anything.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

you could break it in and have it tuned on an engine dyno.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone View Post

For break-in I like to fairly quickly progress RPM/throttle over the first 100 miles or so, then it goes on the dyno for final tuning.
This is exactly what I did too when I had my shortblock built last year

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.