Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 8 GSR AYC/ACD Issue

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Evo 8 GSR AYC/ACD Issue

I recently purchased a 2003 Evo 8 GSR (RHD) from Japan and took it to a mechanic to get straight to work. After I received it from the mechanic, I decided to take it for a spin and I noticed that the TARMAC/GRAVEL/SNOW lights were on, when I tried to click on the ACD it wouldn't change the setting. I restarted the car and it was back on TARMAC, drove it for another minute or two and all the lights came right back on. I did some research on forums and found it could be many things like air in the pump, the oil going bad, or even the ACD pump failing. I just wanted to be sure about my issue so I decided to make a post on it to see if anyone can help me out. (P.S. Im just learning a lot more about Evo's and there AYC/ACD systems.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2019, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
it is usually the pump going bad, but could be air in the system... You need to have the pump tested, can be done on the car but you need a mechanic that knows his way around evos..

What did your mechanic do on the car?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
it is usually the pump going bad, but could be air in the system... You need to have the pump tested, can be done on the car but you need a mechanic that knows his way around evos..

What did your mechanic do on the car?
He just did basic repairs like new tires, tire rods, alignment, suspension, brakes, oil change w cleaning and etc. Also, could I get the pump checked out at a local mitsu dealer?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

you could buy they probably never saw a JDM car with the pump in the rear... Have someone sit in the car, press full throttle and turn ignition on while keeping the foot down.. (DO NOT START THE ENGINE... JUST IGNITION ON)
At the same time get down next to the left rear of the car and listen to the pump.. it should start after afew sec and run for a while slowing down as the pressure builds up... if it runs at constant speed.. the pump is busted...
Old Feb 21, 2019, 09:07 PM

you could buy they probably never saw a JDM car with the pump in the rear... Have someone sit in the car, press full throttle and turn ignition on while keeping the foot down.. (DO NOT START THE ENGINE... JUST IGNITION ON)
At the same time get down next to the left rear of the car and listen to the pump.. it should start after afew sec and run for a while slowing down as the pressure builds up... if it runs at constant speed.. the pump is busted...
Yea the mechanics dont know too much about Evo's especially this one. Anyways, Il go down to the shop soon and do that to see if its busted or not. If I am not able to do this could I take it to mitsubishi for them to tell me if its busted or not? If it is busted however will I be able to still drive the car normally? Also is it worth to replace it again or just to remove the pump fully (Some threads I read, people actually removed the AYC/ACD pump and just installed coilovers and say it works just as good). If it is worth it to replace, how much would that cost me and where could I purchase?

My bad for asking too many questions, just really curious

Last edited by notrackback; Feb 21, 2019 at 11:51 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 01:42 AM
Evolved Member

you can drive with the broken pump, just you will not have any locking in the central and rear diff, so you better overhaul the pump... It can be fixed.. look at the video in my sig.. just note I am not selling overhaul kits anymore..

Mitsubishi can probably check it but they will probably try to sell you a new one for 3+ grand
Old Feb 22, 2019, 07:40 AM

you can drive with the broken pump, just you will not have any locking in the central and rear diff, so you better overhaul the pump... It can be fixed.. look at the video in my sig.. just note I am not selling overhaul kits anymore..

Mitsubishi can probably check it but they will probably try to sell you a new one for 3+ grand
If I cant overhaul it for some reason, is there a place I could purchase a ACD pump online and install it in my Evo?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:47 AM

Bump
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

You can buy the pump trough mitsubishi just dont get shocked at the price... pump needs bleeding after install and for that you need a tool (bleed box) or have mitsubishi service use their MUT tool to do so..
You first need to diagnose the problem...
Old Feb 23, 2019, 01:41 PM

I didn't get time to diagnose the problem yet because the shop was closed, so once I get the car back I'l diagnose it. If its repairable where could I purchase the overhaul/repair kit?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

try these guys, as they can overhaul the pump too..

https://www.acd-pump.com/contact
Old Feb 23, 2019, 03:51 PM

try these guys, as they can overhaul the pump too..

https://www.acd-pump.com/contact
Thanks. I will be sure to contact him once I figure out the issue with my pump.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 09:06 PM

Update: I just got the car back from the shop, and for some reason the three lights are gone and it seems to work fine now. I was really confused at first, but when I read other threads people also said that this could be due to weather conditions, another reason could also be that the car was sitting for a long time before I got my hands on it. If I have any more updates I will post but so far so good!!