Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transfer Case Broken Maybe More?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 02:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transfer Case Broken Maybe More?

Hi everyone I’m looking for a bit of advice on my evo 7. A few days ago I decided that it would be a good idea to launch my car. It was raining out so I thought I’d get a little wheel spin and take off like I’ve done many times before. This time I heard a loud pop and my car went nowhere. I can put the car in all gears and I get speed indications on the speedometer. The clutch pedal feels like it always did but I can go through all the gear without using the clutch with the engine on. I’m 99% sure my transfer case is broken. My question is could there be anything else broken or is my transfer case most likely my only issue. Thanks for any advice.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 05:46 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hello / Welcome

Based on this potential drivetrain failure, everything should be checked for damage (trans, TC, axles, driveline & rear end diff)

A basic fluid drain & visual inspection is needed

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Mar 3, 2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
you probably broke the output shaft from the central diff, situated in the gearbox, or the input teeth on the transfer box input... when you take the transfer box off it will become evident..
Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kikiturbo
you probably broke the output shaft from the central diff, situated in the gearbox, or the input teeth on the transfer box input... when you take the transfer box off it will become evident..
Thanks for the tip. Hopefully it’s the transfer case input teeth rather than something internally in the transmission. I was able to limp the car off the road to a parking lot about a kilometer up the road before the car completely stopped moving.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
I wouldnt hope so really.... as you can get transmission parts, but not transfer box parts..

I have seen both cases... with the transmission output shaft (hollow one) being the problem on the earlier cars and input teeth being the problem on evo x...
You might have trouble taking the transfer box off.. we had to pry it off ...