Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Direct port Nitrous or Single nozzle (NOS)

Old Mar 17, 2019, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Direct port Nitrous or Single nozzle (NOS)

Hi everyone,

I am in the midst of building my new setup and contemplating between direct port or single nozzle for the setup. I will be running E85 with PTE 7685 on a stroked 94mm crank with I beam rods and a JE piston. Some say direct port is not suitable for turbo application compared to the single nozzle where it is placed before the throttle body.

Secondly, if i were to opt for direct port injection, should the trigger be synchronized with the injector? I will be triggering the NOS on WOT and the setup is meant for a drag application.

Hope you guys could shed some lights and advise for those who have experiences in such application.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 09:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
That turbo is nearest going to make less boost than what is about max for E85's octane. You should really be looking into running meth, or a smaller turbo.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
I would never use single nozzle NOS because how can you control how much gets into each cylinder? Then again, with all available antilag options, I would look into mild antilag before NOS.
If you are concerned about timing it with injector pulses, does that mean it shuts off with each pulse? I just can't see the solenoid keeping up long term. Besides, what is the lag between injector signal to open the NOS nozzles? I can't see timing of NOS getting into cylinders being the same as your fuel. (In short, I can't see synchronizing with injectors working). Good luck.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
That turbo is nearest going to make less boost than what is about max for E85's octane. You should really be looking into running meth, or a smaller turbo.
We ran GTX4202r which is similar to PT7675 in a similar engine setup and was able to get 3bar (~43psi) clocking 1012hp (using dynapack). It was using single nozzle sprayed before the injector running on race gas. Didn't manage to get the same hp with E85 though as it was only tuned to around 2.5bar (~36psi) which resulted in around 9xxhp. That's one of the reason why this new setup is using PT7685.

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
I would never use single nozzle NOS because how can you control how much gets into each cylinder? Then again, with all available antilag options, I would look into mild antilag before NOS.
If you are concerned about timing it with injector pulses, does that mean it shuts off with each pulse? I just can't see the solenoid keeping up long term. Besides, what is the lag between injector signal to open the NOS nozzles? I can't see timing of NOS getting into cylinders being the same as your fuel. (In short, I can't see synchronizing with injectors working). Good luck.
How did you trigger the spray?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by gIGoN
How did you trigger the spray?
What are you running for engine management? Haltech, for example, has staged nitrous control which can pulse the solenoids directly.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Fox_IX
What are you running for engine management? Haltech, for example, has staged nitrous control which can pulse the solenoids directly.
haltech elite 1500
Old Mar 19, 2019, 01:22 AM
Evolving Member

haltech elite 1500
Hook the solenoids up directly to the DPOs and you can enable Nitrous in the functions menu of ESP. This is how I would drive them. I wouldn't mess with trying to get them to match the injectors.
Single port at the throttle body will be waaay easier to set up and has the advantage of being way easier/faster to re-jet. However as others have mentioned you will have variance in nitrous flow from cylinder to cylinder. If you have an EGT in each exhaust manifold runner you can use Haltech's cylinder correction feature(I believe it's under the fuel settings in ESP) to adjust fueling to somewhat negate that.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox_IX
Hook the solenoids up directly to the DPOs and you can enable Nitrous in the functions menu of ESP. This is how I would drive them. I wouldn't mess with trying to get them to match the injectors.
Single port at the throttle body will be waaay easier to set up and has the advantage of being way easier/faster to re-jet. However as others have mentioned you will have variance in nitrous flow from cylinder to cylinder. If you have an EGT in each exhaust manifold runner you can use Haltech's cylinder correction feature(I believe it's under the fuel settings in ESP) to adjust fueling to somewhat negate that.
Thanks Richard. I don't know anything about Haltech.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
Thanks Richard. I don't know anything about Haltech.
Sure thing, I'm no expert in nitrous, but Haltech was my specialty back when I was tuning professionally

Also, I've been running the same ECU as OP for a while now so that helps haha.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
Curious as to why you are wanting to add nitrous...spool, power, both?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
Curious as to why you are wanting to add nitrous...spool, power, both?
both
Old Mar 20, 2019, 04:59 AM
Evolved Member

both
a 30-50 Shot using a single wet fogger will get the turbo up quick. Use the haltech I/O to kick it on above ~95% throttle and maybe 3000rpm. I ran this setup in my Z for many years with zero issues, but started with a 35 shot and ended up at 125 shot because it was so addictive.

Get the AFR dialed in first without nitrous and then tune AFR with the fuel pills on nitrous to match. On 50 shot you probably want to have it reduce timing at least 1 degree.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo

a 30-50 Shot using a single wet fogger will get the turbo up quick. Use the haltech I/O to kick it on above ~95% throttle and maybe 3000rpm. I ran this setup in my Z for many years with zero issues, but started with a 35 shot and ended up at 125 shot because it was so addictive.

Get the AFR dialed in first without nitrous and then tune AFR with the fuel pills on nitrous to match. On 50 shot you probably want to have it reduce timing at least 1 degree.
single wet fogger means the one placed before the TBody right? I bought a NX direct port kit. Can i use one of the fogger to make it single wet fogger? What are ur thoughts for a direct port setup?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Single wet fogger means the one placed before the TBody right? I bought a NX direct port kit. Can i use one of the fogger to make it single wet fogger? What are ur thoughts for a direct port setup?
I was referring to a single fogger before the throttle body. I have no experience with the direct port, but I do not see why it would be any different than the single fogger in terms of how it works. You do have the advantage of better cylinder distribution with direct port so likely that is a better setup. If you go that route just start with a lower shot on low boost so you can get used to the setup. You can then gradually increase the nitrous level as well as the boost level.

I ran a 2 speed powerglide in my 240Z behind a 3.1L 280Z motor running a pair of TDO5 16G turbo's so I needed the nitrous to get the car off the line. Man I miss the NOZ!

Search this Thread