Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

RPM Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Are you sure the balance shafts aren’t 180* out of phase
Old Apr 18, 2019, 05:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Well, you said the other block had the same noise. This would lead me to think it’s not the block. You changed the head and same noise so would make me think it’s not motor related?
This is what I want to think too, but through out higher RPM's, the engine is starting to sound a lot more like a diesel then it was, and has very similar sounds to what rod knock would be. But unplugging injectors at each cylinder doesn't eliminate the noise..

Are you sure the balance shafts aren’t 180* out of phase
IF this was true, wouldn't the noise be coming from the timing belt side, and not the driver side? Noise is coming from opposite of the timing belt side.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
If you press the clutch in and rev it does it still make the noise?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Correct. Clutch engagement does not make a difference.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Hmm I thought maybe gear rattle or the tob. Dang dude.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah man, this is definitely one of those issues that's driving me up a wall lol.

What I think I have observed, is the ticking noise is quieter when it's first started up. As the evo is starting to warm up, it gets louder and stays at the same noise level. Sounding like a diesel unfortunately through out some of the RPM band.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Well, rod knock doesn’t quiet down. So if this is the case you can count that out. You sure it’s not lifters? Pull them out and rebleed them and if anything buy new ones. I had crazy lifter tick and I just bought new ones. Also, sounding like a diesel? Is it misfiring? Maybe one of the coils is arching which can sound something like a tick?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Definitely not a misfire. I mean like a diesel in terms of the knocking/tapping sound happening so fast as the RPM's go up. The misfire noise would sound more like a Subaru engine ( like if you unplug a injector or coil ), which I don't have. The car drives and pulls great, so it's not misfiring for a fact.

Thanks for the suggestions / comments so far to everyone. The bouncing ideas back and forth do help. I will eventually figure this problem out lol.

I think I'm going to pull the lifters nearest where the sound is coming from. Will try bleeding them, and see what that does.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah I would start popping off the valve cover and taking a look. Try to wiggle the rocker arms. Just pull the lifters and balled again and see.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
does not sound good. Im betting engine/transmission
Old Apr 20, 2019, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KingTal0n
does not sound good. Im betting engine/transmission
Could you be a bit more specific? Saying "hey, I'm betting it's the engine or transmission" is pretty vague and narrows nothing down. Might as well have said "hey, I think your car has a problem" lol.

----

Anyway, today will be pulling the valve cover off, and checking for anything loose, and bleeding lifters. Will report back.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Chrispy0530
Could you be a bit more specific? Saying "hey, I'm betting it's the engine or transmission" is pretty vague and narrows nothing down. Might as well have said "hey, I think your car has a problem" lol.

----

Anyway, today will be pulling the valve cover off, and checking for anything loose, and bleeding lifters. Will report back.
The video is generic. The noise is generic. It could be piston slap if there are forged pistons, but I bet you have cast. Was the engine rebuilt or opened up?

I just need way more info to make a good diagnosis. If the motor is all original, how many miles on it, what weight oil has been used since the beginning. Lots more info

Basically in a situation like this what you first try to do is narrow down whether the noise is 1 every revolution or 1 every other revolution. Since its a simple 4-cylinder top down, you can pull a spark plug (coil pack or plug wire) 1 at a time to listen for the differences. Try that while gently revving the engine to see if the noise gets louder or softer on a rev or coming down from a rev (small revs < 1500rpm) which would indicate a rod bearing in conjunction with individual spark test.
I've also heard that sort of noise from myriad other objects. torque converter, trans input shaft components, balancer, accessories, it could be so many things. Better video, more info, if you want more diag

-----
edit- just re-read the topic and I see you changed the shortblock and head (new engine)
Did you re-use ANY PARTS from the old engine? Even the smallest little cap or metal object from the head.
What weight oil and what are the engine main and rod bearing clearances set to? What Brand Bearings (hopefully OEM)

At this point I'd be extremely suspicious of any re-used parts (accessories or metal internals) and the transmission. Does the noise get louder or softer when you press the clutch pedal. Does the noise get softer when the oil hits 220*F or when you run the car hard.
try a video from the engine bay and from under the car.
try the plug wire and listening tricks from above
get back with the info about bearings, oil, and parts re-used
I'd also:
do a compression test and write the numbers down
inspect plugs

Last edited by KingTal0n; Apr 20, 2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

I just watched the driving video and you did pop the hood.
I don't know what a "MIVEK" is, so I google'd it

https://www.evoxforums.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=52955

Looks like this is a typical noise from whatever it is
I am guessing some kind of camshaft gear system with a solenoid and controlled by oil

SR20DET engines have a similar gear, oil pushed the cam 20* advanced. But when it starves for oil either because it wasn't connected or just gets old, the gear will slap around and sound like a rod knock.

I'd say this is your best bet and its the only thing you bring from engine to engine?
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Well he said he got a new head and replaced the mivec gear in his attempt to fix the noise so common sense would tell me that is not the issue. It’s hard without hearing it in person.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nor11384
Well he said he got a new head and replaced the mivec gear in his attempt to fix the noise so common sense would tell me that is not the issue. It’s hard without hearing it in person.
Heres what stood out to me:
1. he said the old mivec gear made a 'similar noise but much worse' I assume because it was bad, and they go bad and make noise
2. that indicates the mivec gear has a potential to make noise
3. the internet searches reveal a lot of noisy issues and piston/valve contact related to mivec gear stuff
4. he never tried it without them mivec gear, this seems to be the only thing that isn't OEM going from engine to engine
5. the entire engine is OEM except this one part right?
6. If it isn't the engine its the trans. Which means the noise should go away when you disconnect the trans (i.e. not in gear) unless its in the front half of the transmission and spins when not in gear (meh?) Whats inside a trans to clock/click around like that in neutral? It just seems that if the trans was in that bad of shape it would be getting worse and hard to driv i.e. metal inside clattering around abnormally in neutral is possibly a couple minutes from total self destruction unless its something benign, a flaw that all of them have and is common

Just narrowed WAYYYYY down to like 2 things left almost. I Mean, theres accessories, but hearing them from inside the car in a video camera? I dont think so. Alternators aren't that loud lol. Water pumps make bearing noises. Crank pulley I hope is a new OEM unit and not the re-used Original from the old engine (check that) And what else is there, belt tensioner I hope he changed also, belt, PS pump will whine usually not clatter. out of stuff yet ?