Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Can’t Shift Into 1st 3rd or 5th

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 06:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can’t Shift Into 1st 3rd or 5th

I was driving in 2nd gear today when all of a sudden I couldn’t shift into 3rd unless I put it back in neutral, back to 2nd, then 3rd. I parked and with the engine running and the clutch in from neutral, I couldn’t shift into 1st 3rd or 5th. As soon as I put it in 2nd 4th or 6th I was able to as long as the clutch was pushed in the whole time. If I let go of the clutch and put it in neutral, I can’t put it in 1 3 or 5 again unless I put it in another gear first.

Last edited by USMC Brad; Apr 12, 2019 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Added video
Old Apr 12, 2019, 06:28 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
How fresh is that clutch? Ive linked up the full clutch pedal adjustment for your review. Maybe its out of adjustment making gear engagement difficult

Hopefully its not the Syncros (after-all it is the 6 speed trans)

Just a thought!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
GR00004400-21A.pdf (632.5 KB, 0 views)
Old Apr 12, 2019, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
How fresh is that clutch? Ive linked up the full clutch pedal adjustment for your review. Maybe its out of adjustment making gear engagement difficult

Hopefully its not the Syncros (after-all it is the 6 speed trans)

Just a thought!
I have no idea. I got the car in August of last year and the previous owner also had no clue. He only had the car for a couple of months.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a bent shift fork.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 02:34 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Free checks would be to confirm the cables, shifter, and shift assly on the trans are all lined up, tight, etc.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
Based on that video, my bet is something with the cables. I would do what Kaj said first. Simple and free, can't go wrong.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by kaj
Free checks would be to confirm the cables, shifter, and shift assly on the trans are all lined up, tight, etc.
I checked the cables and one of them going under the intake manifold looks like it has the rubber coming off of it. Other than that they seem fine. How do I go about checking the shift assembly on the trans?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:14 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by USMC Brad
I checked the cables and one of them going under the intake manifold looks like it has the rubber coming off of it. Other than that they seem fine. How do I go about checking the shift assembly on the trans?
Easiest is to have someone go through the gears while you watch. Look for anything that looks off or possibly impeding the cables/assly.
It sounds like something is out of place and moving the shifter down (gears 2, 4, and reverse) temporarily puts it back.

I could give better hints if I could remember which cable moves the assly in which direction LOL