Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Timing 2.4l evo 9 mivec. Pics for assurance! Ty!

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 09:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
Zero compression means you're probably off 180 deg. Though I dont know how on the Evo. On a DSM its easy enough if you line up the dowels in the wrong direction Evo is different.

Edit: Could the crank gear timing plate be on backwards?
Old May 29, 2019, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Zero compression means you're probably off 180 deg. Though I dont know how on the Evo. On a DSM its easy enough if you line up the dowels in the wrong direction Evo is different.

Sad but im not even sure this motor has the 180 issue
Old May 29, 2019, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Stupid question but are the lifters and rockers installed?
Yesir
Old May 30, 2019, 01:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

The blue mark is face the outside of the motor. If the trigger plate was on backwards then you wouldn't see it. The trigger plate is fine.
Old May 30, 2019, 01:22 AM
Evolving Member

Did you bleed the lifters when you before reinstalled them?
Old May 30, 2019, 01:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tommyfacekicker
may i ask why you set your cam timing marks that way? i'm running stock intake cam and hks exhaust cam with hks exhaust cam gear on my ix. should i set my cams like yours?
If you are running a 4g63 block then no. He has a 4g64 bottom end so the block itself is 6mm taller than the 4g63 block is. There for using the stock cam gear the timing marks won't line up. He is using his adjustable cam gear to adjust the cam so that it will allow the cam to be set at 0 degrees.
Old May 30, 2019, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by cficare68
Did you bleed the lifters when you before reinstalled them?
Yep
Old May 30, 2019, 07:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The only way to get zero compression is a bad tester or the valves aren't closing.
Old May 30, 2019, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
They only way to get zero compression is a bad tester or the valves aren't closing.
Yep. So should i pull the head... turned the motor a bunch by hand. Shop installed supertech springs and valve guides
Old May 30, 2019, 07:41 AM

Should i try retarding the intake cam? I feel like the timing of the cams is the issue. But they line up fine exhaust valves? Idk...
Old May 30, 2019, 07:47 AM

It rotated by hand perfectly. Did this on multiple occasions.
Old May 30, 2019, 07:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The only way to get zero compression is a bad tester or the valves aren't closing.
Either you put too much faith in peoples ability or you're not thinking outside of the box hard enough

Though, probably right. Valves are probably open when they shouldn't be. Either timing or held that way. The sound of the engine when cranking seems like its building at least a slight bit of compression but dumping it or releasing it. So could very slight. The sound with absolutely no compression is a smooth even sound with no lumps.
Old May 30, 2019, 08:40 AM

Either you put too much faith in peoples ability or you're not thinking outside of the box hard enough

Though, probably right. Valves are probably open when they shouldn't be. Either timing or held that way. The sound of the engine when cranking seems like its building at least a slight bit of compression but dumping it or releasing it. So could very slight. The sound with absolutely no compression is a smooth even sound with no lumps.
Feels like it when rotating
Old May 30, 2019, 08:44 AM

Should be able to pull the toming belt off and then leak diwn test yes to see if the valves r stuck ?
Old May 30, 2019, 09:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts

Valves not closing/valves not closing at the right time. Same difference. I meant a broader statement such as that, rereading my comment I realize it sounded like I simply meant valves were hanging open due to too long of a lifter or something along those line. But I also meant it to include timing.

Originally Posted by joey pierce
Should be able to pull the toming belt off and then leak diwn test yes to see if the valves r stuck ?
Does your compression tester have the Schrader valve in it?

You leave the timing belt on to do a leak down test. Just rotate each cylinder to TDC. You may need someone to hold it in place.