Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Gymkahna build?

Old Dec 22, 2010, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Gymkahna build?

What would you do for a gymkahna build?
Just in theory..

I love gymkahna but I think having a Non-ACD means that sooner or later I am going to have to upgrade to an Evo9 seeing as how for me, E-brake usage is pretty much limited to keeping the car in place on the side of a steep road.

Anywho. What would u do for a gymkahna build?

Engine... I plan on doing a 2.1 destroker eventually but in my opinion, for a purpose-built gymkahna evo, a 2.3 would be great seeing as how it could spool a turbo quicker. I think instant throttle response would be ideal.

Turbo... A quick spooling turbo that can still make mean torque...

Tires... Something super hard??

Suspension.. Stiff i would think... but what else??

Tranny.. Maybe shorter final gear? or all gears shorter and stock final? or combination?

Transfer case... Ok so probably going to have to be an ACD.. What do u guys think about those center diff addons that split the torque 30/70???

..Feedback..
Old Dec 22, 2010, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

I wonder if the stock turbo ported and (Everything ported) with more boost would be better than other turbos???

The build would be similar to an AutoX build but u would be replacing drive train components a little more often (as well as tires..) right?
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

I would maximize torque and response. 2.1 is better for high revs (9-10k), which would be unnecessary IMO, so I would go with a 2.4l. Most torque possible, and still be able to take it to 8-8.5k.

Turbo wise, you want power, but not at the expense of response, so maybe a twin scroll 3076. Capable of 500whp on e85, and immediate response.

Drivetrain-wise, I would install a quaife (or other) rear diff, coils, and correctly sized sway bars. Bushings wouldn't hurt either.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
need an upgraded rear diff for sure.. probably cusco or carbonetics
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you've got this alllllll wrong

as for the motor, yes, something with a lot of low end and quick spool would be ideal. you'd basically need to build something like an autocross car, but it would most likely need to be setup looser in the rear. it would all depend on the particular course though.

you would definitely need a rear diff upgrade. the TRE MAXXX lock would be a good one to look at, along with the Gruppe-S ACD flash (if you had one). Since you don't, diff alone would be good.

as for your statement about the ACD and E brake, that makes no sense. you can still use your E brake without an ACD.

As for the tires, you still want grip. Hard tires will do nothing but make you understeer. the alignment setup would likely be different though. run more negative camber up front to get the car to rotate. you still want the stickiest tires you can get. possibly running a wider tire up front as well. you want to maximize front end grip, not minimize rear grip.

as for the suspension, yes, stiffer than stock. how stiff would depend on tire compound, and the rest of your setup. stiffer is not always better. If you could upgrade to an ACD, I would. even if you don't go ACD, it would still be a good idea to upgrade to some sort of LSD up front, and like i said before, upgrade to the TRE rear diff for better rotation, and power oversteer.

Originally Posted by Xearo
What would you do for a gymkahna build?
Just in theory..

I love gymkahna but I think having a Non-ACD means that sooner or later I am going to have to upgrade to an Evo9 seeing as how for me, E-brake usage is pretty much limited to keeping the car in place on the side of a steep road.

Anywho. What would u do for a gymkahna build?

Engine... I plan on doing a 2.1 destroker eventually but in my opinion, for a purpose-built gymkahna evo, a 2.3 would be great seeing as how it could spool a turbo quicker. I think instant throttle response would be ideal.

Turbo... A quick spooling turbo that can still make mean torque...

Tires... Something super hard??

Suspension.. Stiff i would think... but what else??

Tranny.. Maybe shorter final gear? or all gears shorter and stock final? or combination?

Transfer case... Ok so probably going to have to be an ACD.. What do u guys think about those center diff addons that split the torque 30/70???

..Feedback..
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:56 PM
Evolving Member

think best combo would be a 2.4 with 10-11:1 comp with an fp black on e85.

my 2.4 spools my 61mm like a stocker.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

I would first consider doing a complete suspension system (wheels/tires included) along w/ a front/rear lsd. Then continue to go for anything that would make it a quick responding set up...

Last edited by 38six; Dec 23, 2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by still*boostn

I think that would be way to much!!! That's entering Ken Blocks level !!!
Old Dec 23, 2010, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ODUB
you've got this alllllll wrong

as for your statement about the ACD and E brake, that makes no sense. you can still use your E brake without an ACD.
You sure about that? The Viscous is going to try and lock the rear to the front as soon as u pull that ebrake... And that could cause the viscous unit to overheat.. or it will lock and the ebrake wont grab hard enough.. Viscous doesnt think it just locks when the front and rear rotate at different speeds. The ACD gets a signal from the CPU when u pull the ebrake to keep it from locking thus sending all the power to the front when the ebrake is pulled.
-Anybody else have any input on this??

As for the tires, you still want grip. Hard tires will do nothing but make you understeer. the alignment setup would likely be different though. run more negative camber up front to get the car to rotate. you still want the stickiest tires you can get. possibly running a wider tire up front as well. you want to maximize front end grip, not minimize rear grip.

as for the suspension, yes, stiffer than stock. how stiff would depend on tire compound, and the rest of your setup. stiffer is not always better. If you could upgrade to an ACD, I would. even if you don't go ACD, it would still be a good idea to upgrade to some sort of LSD up front, and like i said before, upgrade to the TRE rear diff for better rotation, and power oversteer.
Maybey stickier tires up front or more camber up front or stiffer front, or something?? I figured harder would let u slide around better (which is kind of the difference between gym and autoX right?)
Maybe with lots of torque and power sticky tires wont be a hindrance? dunno my car hasnt seen over 300hp yet haha

Last edited by Xearo; Dec 23, 2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

What about your rod ratio? Is it horrible this way? I wanted to do a 2.1L 4g64 to get rid of the bad rod ratio and plus the 4g64 has a thicker piston sidewall. I always thought those strokers were fragile.. no??
Old Dec 23, 2010, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

What about your rod ratio? Is it horrible this way? I wanted to do a 2.1L 4g64 to get rid of the bad rod ratio and plus the 4g64 has a thicker piston sidewall. I always thought those strokers were fragile.. no??
dunno, I rev it to about 8K. works great for me. plus I would think your would want to stay around your pea trq. the whole time.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
misinformation like a ****.

You sure about that? The Viscous is going to try and lock the rear to the front as soon as u pull that ebrake... And that could cause the viscous unit to overheat.. or it will lock and the ebrake wont grab hard enough.. Viscous doesnt think it just locks when the front and rear rotate at different speeds. The ACD gets a signal from the CPU when u pull the ebrake to keep it from locking thus sending all the power to the front when the ebrake is pulled.
It’s the same as towing an evo by the front wheels. If the rears are locked it will not be good for the center diff.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

dunno, I rev it to about 8K. works great for me. plus I would think your would want to stay around your pea trq. the whole time.

i want a stroker =)

i spent too much time reading that document that someone made about stroking vs not stroking and all the combinations. It was very neutral but it made the rod ratio sound soo bad in the strokers that it scared me away. But then again, if soo many people are using them successfuly, thats probably a good sign. but i guess this thread was on the ideal gymkhana build! Ok stroker ftw =)
Old Dec 23, 2010, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybey stickier tires up front or more camber up front or stiffer front, or something?? I figured harder would let u slide around better (which is kind of the difference between gym and autoX right?)
Maybe with lots of torque and power sticky tires wont be a hindrance? dunno my car hasnt seen over 300hp yet haha
well if I'm wrong about the ACD/E brake comment, I apologize.

as for the suspension and tire tuning, you never want to tune a car to minimize grip anywhere. you're not building a drift car, and even in drifting, they use very sticky tires and tune the car for grip and control. they don't just put crappy tires on the rear and go lol

tune the car for maximun front end grip, not minimum rear grip. gymkhana will have some tighter turns in areas, but if you put crap tires on the rear it's not going to make the car any faster, it'll jsut make it slide all over the place and the car will lose control. a TRE rear diff is what you need. good tires all around. stiffer spring rate in the rear than the front (obviously)
Old Dec 23, 2010, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bruzewski
misinformation like a ****.

It’s the same as towing an evo by the front wheels. If the rears are locked it will not be good for the center diff.

+1 i guess? I think its a nono to to ebrake with the non acd unit =( I tried it once in the dirt and in this video u can kind of see all the tires stop spinning.. acd ftw!

Search this Thread