EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Where can I get fuel injector o-ring other then dealer? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/145879-where-can-i-get-fuel-injector-o-ring-other-then-dealer.html)

USP45 Jun 25, 2005 11:01 PM

Where can I get fuel injector o-ring other then dealer?

I have just dropped my 2.3 block in and I noticed that the upper fuel injector o-rings where they go into the rail have dried out from not being in the manifold while the short block was being done. I know that the dealer sells the upper o-ring, but at $15 for 4 of them I think that the price is outrageous, especially as I need 8 of them for the Delphi injectors at 2 per injector. Does anyone know of another car that uses the same size o-ring on the top of the injectors? Auto parts places stores sell o-rings, but they come in all sorts of different sizes.

DSMotorsport Jun 26, 2005 06:51 AM

we stock them

GTVEVO Jun 26, 2005 07:55 AM

I have seen people pick them up at a local autoparts store just by matching up the thickness and size of orings they have.

Z1 Performance Jun 26, 2005 09:09 AM

yep - most every autoparts store should stock them...even Home Depot, etc..its just an o ring :)

USP45 Jun 26, 2005 10:31 AM

Just in case anyone else needs them, #78 o-rings fit great, you can get 10 of them a Lowe's for $1.27. Thats a little bit better the the stealerships price of $15 for 4 of them.

justchil May 6, 2007 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by joeycoates (Post 2098873)
Just in case anyone else needs them, #78 o-rings fit great, you can get 10 of them a Lowe's for $1.27. Thats a little bit better the the stealerships price of $15 for 4 of them.

I just picked up a set of these from Lowes (located in the plumbing dept). I'm wondering how they hold up over time having direct contact with fuel??

MrEvo2U May 6, 2007 10:26 PM

They are not 'just' o-rings. They are a special substance that is impervious to fuel. Auto parts stores sell them if you can match the size. You really don't want to use generic o-rings and have fuel spraying on your hot engine.......

tkklemann May 7, 2007 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by MrEvo2U (Post 4300633)
They are not 'just' o-rings. They are a special substance that is impervious to fuel. Auto parts stores sell them if you can match the size. You really don't want to use generic o-rings and have fuel spraying on your hot engine.......

Yes, there are actually two types of O-Rings, Bunna-n and Viton (SP?)

The Viton (SP?) O-Rings are prefferable because they are less prone to dry-rot cracking from contact with liquids such as gasoline.

Steve_P May 8, 2007 11:43 AM

you're on the right track, but there are at least 6 different o-ring materials.

sonicnofadz May 8, 2007 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by MrEvo2U (Post 4300633)

+1 Do NOT just buy a generic o-ring! Gasoline will eat through it and you will have major fuel problems and a possible dangerous LEAN condition!