EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   new clutch install, wierd sound (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/160387-new-clutch-install-wierd-sound.html)

arpad Sep 23, 2005 03:46 AM

new clutch install, wierd sound

I just had a cusco twin-plate installed, and it engages perfectly and feels great, but when I downshift, there's a wierd high-pitched grinding sound. It only happens when I downshift, and only if I downshift when braking.

I thought something might be touching from the engine torque, but couldn't find anything. It doesn't sound like that, anyway...

Anybody know what that could be?

omarv6 Sep 23, 2005 04:42 AM

well i have the excede twin carbon plate and i have so much sounds .. but its more like shataring and ratteling not grinding ... so am not sure if its the same i have or not !
any way those twin plats are noise any way !!

arpad Oct 2, 2005 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by omarv6
well i have the excede twin carbon plate and i have so much sounds .. but its more like shataring and ratteling not grinding ... so am not sure if its the same i have or not !
any way those twin plats are noise any way !!

hmm... yeah i get the chattering and rattling, too...
it's not really a grinding, more of like a whine... like a really loud turbo spool? not sure how to describe it...

jesterEVO Oct 2, 2005 05:18 AM

chattering should be from the flywheel that came with it...rattle is normal on a clutch like that..specially shaking in the clutch...

kimletrim Oct 2, 2005 05:43 AM

I have it too. I think the sound is normal for a twin plate.

Carbonics Oct 2, 2005 06:25 AM

i have an exedy twin plate the noise is normal

arpad Oct 5, 2005 06:20 AM

wierd, i had a cusco twinplate before this one, too, and it didn't make that sound.

it's not a chattering... it's more like a turbo whine... i'll try and post a soundclip later today.

inarut Oct 5, 2005 10:19 AM

trans sound.

I have a exedy hper single and makes noise when left off the throttle.I am told is yje springs in the disk.

Tracy Oct 5, 2005 12:07 PM

I used to have an Excedy Twin and it made a lot of noise....it's normal. Are you sure it's a grinding noise and not more like a chattering. I mean the whining is normal, as well. I don't know about grinding, tho (now I have a triple carbon and that makes even more noise!)

oak2207 Oct 5, 2005 12:13 PM

Are you rev matching when you downshift or just slipping the clutch out in the lower gear? If so, it could be the throwout bearing making noise.

VTECH8TR Oct 5, 2005 12:26 PM

The Twin plates make noises when decelerating. I worked on a friends evo with the same noise. Besides the noise it grabs like a mofo.

arpad Oct 6, 2005 09:01 AM

it only happens when i don't rev match... does that mean there's a problem with the throwout bearing?

Tracy: it's definitely not like the chattering at idle... sounds like something being spun very fast

kimletrim Oct 6, 2005 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by arpad
it only happens when i don't rev match... does that mean there's a problem with the throwout bearing?

Tracy: it's definitely not like the chattering at idle... sounds like something being spun very fast

I have experienced the same thing. From what I have heard from other owners of the twin disc, this is NORMAL.

oak2207 Oct 6, 2005 01:06 PM

Mine has done it since day one when I bought the car, I know have over 35k on it with no problems with the clutch. Guys, he's not talking about the twin disc chattering sound. It happens when you downshift say into second and u let the clutch out w/o rev matching, you hear this kinda wrrrr, or metallic whining sound, as the clutch is coming up to speed agains the flywheel, kinda hard to describe. I have a totally stock Evo and mine does it too, but I've had no problems so far. If you're really worried about it, I'd say have it looked at, but I'd lean towards the throwout bearing.