EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   walbro 255 fuel pump trouble (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/189450-walbro-255-fuel-pump-trouble.html)

Dan EvoIV Mar 13, 2006 11:07 AM

walbro 255 fuel pump trouble

since fitting my new fuel pump i have noticed the car sometimes holding back between six thousand and seven thousand rpm when on full boost about .9 bar, when i change gear after the cars been holding back i get a yellow flash which i think must be a flame, i used to get flames now and then before fiting the fuel pump but since fitting the pump i get them all the time i have the battery off now i am hoping a ecu reset will sort it but i would like to know if anyone else has had a simular problem whrn upgrading to a walbro 255 fuelpump.

Compjoc Mar 13, 2006 11:09 AM

Do you have a tune?

C6C6CH3vo Mar 13, 2006 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Compjoc
Do you have a tune?

+1

Pump richens the evo - tune is a given for it

Dan EvoIV Mar 13, 2006 02:58 PM

tanks for the quick reply's guys, i dont have a tune although i have a ralliart ecu arriving soon.
it didn’t occur to me before but I had a turbo fitted at the same time do you think it likely that this could be causing the problem and not the fuel pump, I bought a second hand TME with no play in the shaft what else could be wrong with it, I think I’ve been robbed :eek: what do you guys think?

Compjoc Mar 13, 2006 03:02 PM

I'd say the fuel pump is your problem. You shoot flames because the evo runs rich at high RPM. Most likely after you added the bigger fuel pump, it got too rich and its bogging you down at high rpm. Try the Ralliart ECU and if that doesn't help, get a AFC.

Dan EvoIV Mar 13, 2006 03:14 PM

I suppose I will have to wait and see if the ecu solves the problem before making assumptions,

fsugatorbait Mar 13, 2006 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dan EvoIV
I suppose I will have to wait and see if the ecu solves the problem before making assumptions,

It's most definitely caused because you added a fuel pump without tune. Why did you buy a RA ECU instead of a flash or piggy back?

Dan EvoIV Mar 15, 2006 11:30 AM

you probably right mate, the reason i bought the ra ecu is because i was told that a ecutek wont fit a evo iv which are about 800 quid and a motec or gems which do fit cost about 2 grand, the ra ecu has cost me about 520 quid and there are evos running 350 bhp with 1.5 bar and this ecu so i went for the cheaper option as i figured it would cost me around 4 times as much for about 30 more bhp.

fsugatorbait Mar 15, 2006 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Dan EvoIV
you probably right mate, the reason i bought the ra ecu is because i was told that a ecutek wont fit a evo iv which are about 800 quid and a motec or gems which do fit cost about 2 grand, the ra ecu has cost me about 520 quid and there are evos running 350 bhp with 1.5 bar and this ecu so i went for the cheaper option as i figured it would cost me around 4 times as much for about 30 more bhp.

Makes sense. Let us know how it works out for ya.

Dan EvoIV Mar 17, 2006 09:02 AM

My Ralliart ecu and injectors arrived at the weekend, i think i am going to attempt fittment is there anythng i should be awae of when waping the injectors over just that i have never done it before.

Cheers Dan.