EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Vendors: 2.1 longblocks? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/230111-vendors-2-1-longblocks.html)

Evo_SpeedKing Oct 19, 2006 02:51 AM

Vendors: 2.1 longblocks?

just wondering if any vendors out there sell a 2.1 liter longblock. i've seen the short block from SBR, but was wondering who else builds this motor as a long block. thanks.

ONRAILS Oct 19, 2006 04:06 AM

uh just buy a head. SBR is the only people who offer the 2.1 atm

Ang Wen Yan Oct 19, 2006 04:20 AM

Magnus also opffer 2.1 engine

SwiftEVO Oct 19, 2006 07:04 AM

All you do is use a 4g64 block with a 4g63 crank. And you get a destroker kit.

I have just the block for sale if your interested.

--Josh

David Buschur Oct 19, 2006 09:49 AM

Why exactly do you want a 2.1? The two world's fastest 4g63 cars use 2 liters. The quickest EVO8 uses a 2 liter. Why mess with what works and lasts?

joeymia Oct 19, 2006 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Why exactly do you want a 2.1? The two world's fastest 4g63 cars use 2 liters. The quickest EVO8 uses a 2 liter. Why mess with what works and lasts?

i thought AMS uses a destroked 4g64?

Evo_SpeedKing Oct 19, 2006 03:21 PM

well i wanted to step up above a 2.0, but not all the way to a 2.3, while on the stock turbo. i like the idea of power above 8k rpms and i think the long rod concept would help produce a bit more power at this altitude (6000-9000ft). am i wrong?

my car is a daily driver but would also be used for autox, drag and road course, as i said on the stock turbo eventually going to a GT30.

kjewer1 Oct 19, 2006 04:15 PM

My reasoning for considering the 2.1 is that you get half of the displacement increase of the 2.3 (2.1 is really 2.14 IIRC), without the RPM penalty. I don't plan to rev higher than I do on my 2 liter (8500), but the added displacement is always a good thing by itself. More airflow without raising boost, which is a huge help on pump gas, and the ability to spool a mild to moderately upgraded turbo like stock. I'm not trying to build the fastest or quickest EVO, so what they run doesn't concern me. :) I had excellent results from strokers on the DSMs, but trying nitrous recently I do appreciate being able to rev a little higher than I did on the 2.3s. The 2.1 is certainly an option I am considering for these reasons.

I know a couple guys have gone back to 2 liters, and I believe some of these cases were becuase of failed rod bearings, but were these guys trying to rev to 10k+ with them? I don't see any real disadvantages to using a 2.1, but I am open to suggestions from people that have tried them and switched back.

whitey4d Oct 19, 2006 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by ONRAILS
uh just buy a head. SBR is the only people who offer the 2.1 atm

Magnus invented it and SBR copied it. I think that the 2.0L is the best engine because of rod stroke ratios amongst other things like proper machineing and going against the original engineering and trying something thats wasnt meant to originally be. Like if Dart or somebody made a block that was meant to have a added displacement with a close to square ratio then that would be a whole different story.

CO_VR4 Oct 19, 2006 07:43 PM

Does the 2.1 long rod have a better rod ratio than the stock 2.0?

RaNGVR-4 Oct 19, 2006 08:19 PM

^ yes it does. THATS why one would want to step up to the long rod 2.1. a better rod ratio is always a good thing, especially if you want any power above the factory redline of 7k. i am NOT a fan of strokers at all, i am a die hard 2.0L guy, but i would and was thinking of running something simmilar to this setup in one of my own cars.

Soon2BEVO Oct 19, 2006 08:27 PM

Exactly. Why would you mess with that nonsense 2.1. The extra .1 of displacement would be barely noticeable and its unproven.

In fact, theres been 2 people on these boards who've had 2.1Ls blow up with VERY little mileage. One being Curt Brown... and Im pretty sure it happened after only a COUPLE runs.

Go with the 2.0 or the 2.3.... both proven beyond anyone's standards.

BTW, AMS does not have one of the 2 fastest 4G63s. Brent Rau and John Shepherd do... and they both have 2.0Ls.

CO_VR4 Oct 19, 2006 09:03 PM

SBR's 2.1 has had reported problems. Curt Brown's 2.1 was a SBR short block. I recall that it was rebuilt and sold very quickly on this board.

The Magnus 2.1, on the other hand, is very well thought out, extremely well built, and has not had reported longevity problems. It is not by any means "unproven". It revs quickly, has a beter rod ratio, and has more displacement via bore size, making it closer to a "square" bore / stroke. More displacement is not a bad thing, either. That's why you'd "mess with the nonsense". :) BTW, Magnus owner Marco Passante won the Shootout this year, running an 8 second pass and knocking Buschur's Evo out of the competition.

The downside of the Magnus 2.1 is that it's not cheap, which is why, I believe, it's not more common.

Evo_SpeedKing Oct 20, 2006 12:57 AM

my question for Dave is, why a 2.0 vs. a 2.1?

ONRAILS Oct 20, 2006 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by joeymia
i thought AMS uses a destroked 4g64?

If you'll read davids post he says the two fastest 4g63.. not evo 8.. then he says the fastest evo 8. the 2nd fastest being ams.

There is so much misinformation on this board. Curts kit was not a SBR shortblock. His and another member of this board spun rodbearings.

Isn't curt still running the 2.1?