EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   HELP!! new plugs arn't iridium!! (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/263612-help-new-plugs-arnt-iridium.html)

rio-evo Apr 11, 2007 06:01 PM

HELP!! new plugs arn't iridium!!

I called a shop to ask what type of plugs should i replace the stock plugs with.

Here is what they told me:
replace old with NGK BPR 7ES

I pulled the stock plug and:
it is a NGK IGR7A-G

Is the bpr 7es a good replacement or should I stick with the IGR7A-G??

Please help!!!

Mods: ams turbo back; ams intercooler; k&n drop in; base tune; new fuel pump

Curt@MrLed Apr 11, 2007 06:05 PM

yes, good choice... great plug cheaper price... gap them at .26 and change them around every 10,000 miles... i change every oil change.. small ins..

also the next time get bpr7s, even better plug..

bluebyu36 Apr 11, 2007 06:06 PM

i just changed my plugs, but i used the bpr8es one step colder....

rio-evo Apr 11, 2007 06:12 PM

Thanks guys

evo150 Apr 11, 2007 06:13 PM

i run the bpr7es with no problems

Curt@MrLed Apr 11, 2007 06:17 PM

im sorry i didnt see you were tuned, so yes next time get one step colder plugs.. bpr8s.. those will work fine now..

Warrtalon Apr 11, 2007 06:36 PM

Farmer, BPR7ES/8ES is the proper nomenclature.

Also, being tuned doesn't mean he should use 8s. You _only_ use a colder range if you're blowing out the hotter range. It's better to stick with 7s as long as possible.

Rio-evo, a quick search would have shown you that the BPR7ES is copper and is the preferred plug on the Evo. Next time, do a little research before freaking out.

BluEVOIX Apr 11, 2007 08:30 PM

For turbo cars IMO, Copper > Iridium > Platinum = a big no for turbo cars. Something to do with Platinum not with standing the heat and pressure from turbo cars.

240Z TwinTurbo Apr 12, 2007 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX (Post 4199586)
For turbo cars IMO, Copper > Iridium > Platinum = a big no for turbo cars. Something to do with Platinum not with standing the heat and pressure from turbo cars.

Indeed, the twinturbo ZR1 project I completed would not let us use the platinum plugs as the car would run like crap under boost. Changed to some new platinum plugs and it still ran like crap. We finally changed to a standard plug and the problems were fixed. This was at the suggestion of Lingenfelter.

04WWRS Apr 12, 2007 06:33 AM

I think the E is for extened tip. Is that really necessary?

Warrtalon Apr 12, 2007 10:33 AM

P is for protruding tip. I've never heard of nor seen an NGK BPR7/8 without the E, but that's what Farmer says he uses. I've never heard of anyone using one without the E.

SwiftEVO Apr 12, 2007 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Warrtalon (Post 4201599)
P is for protruding tip. I've never heard of nor seen an NGK BPR7/8 without the E, but that's what Farmer says he uses. I've never heard of anyone using one without the E.

Same here.

I use the br8es and I like it better.

--Josh

bluebyu36 Apr 14, 2007 02:59 PM

freaking out lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BluEVOIX Apr 15, 2007 10:10 PM

Why do you guys gap the plugs soo small .026? Is that the recommended stock gap?

EVOL2003 Apr 15, 2007 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by rio-evo (Post 4198881)
I called a shop to ask what type of plugs should i replace the stock plugs with.

Here is what they told me:
replace old with NGK BPR 7ES

I pulled the stock plug and:
it is a NGK IGR7A-G

Is the bpr 7es a good replacement or should I stick with the IGR7A-G??

Please help!!!

Mods: ams turbo back; ams intercooler; k&n drop in; base tune; new fuel pump

the owner of my car b4 me was told by AMS to use copper plugs just have to change um more{thumbup}