EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Dropped a socket into engine! (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/279988-dropped-socket-into-engine.html)

ammarX786 Jun 28, 2007 05:12 AM

Dropped a socket into engine bay!

Hi guys, I was trying to tighten the bolt on my Engine Torque Damper and by accident dropped a socket. I heard it land on something metal, maybe a beam or something. I checked with a flashlight and could not see it anywhere, I made sure the belts were clear and nothing was stuck there.

Once I looked for the socket without any luck, I prayed and started the car. It was smooth, I heard no rattle or anything. So I backed out of my garage and down the driveway, hoping it might drop, but I saw nothing.

Then I drove to work about 40miles, it was quiet the whole way, I heard nothing unusual. I am thinking the socket probably landed on a beam or tray and with the driving it fell out someplace on the road.

What do you guys think? Am I ok? Should I be worried?
:helpme:

hksevoix Jun 28, 2007 05:15 AM

lol, happens to the best of us, you're fine, if anything it fell to the undertray and/or fell out

ammarX786 Jun 28, 2007 05:17 AM

^^ thanks man :) yeah I think its fine but I just get freaked out. I love my EVO too much so every little thing seems so big to me

EvoDan2004 Jun 28, 2007 05:19 AM

Lol I do that all the time. I have drivien down the road and had half my tool box worth of tools go bouncing around. I forgot to put some away and droped a few and all kinda a crap. Your fine... I must of spent 250bucks or so on new tools I have droped and could not find till I saw them in my rearview merror bouncing down the road. Lol.

hksevoix Jun 28, 2007 05:20 AM

lol its funny that you bring that up because I did the same thing yesterday, but I ended up finding it, if you're still paranoid check the tow bar that connects to the third motor mount by the bottom of the turbo, that caught my piece but if it did fall it would clear everything important

ammarX786 Jun 28, 2007 05:26 AM

Im 99.999999% positive with all the twisting, turning, and bumps in the 40 miles of driving it just fell out on the road. I feel better guys :D

XxK1LLAxX Jun 28, 2007 05:30 AM

ya your ok..just sucks really..try dropping bolts and nuts that your using and not being able to find them...really pisses you off

subrwho Jun 28, 2007 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by XxK1LLAxX (Post 4484126)
ya your ok..just sucks really..try dropping bolts and nuts that your using and not being able to find them...really pisses you off

+99999999999999! lol

topnitroracer Jun 28, 2007 05:38 AM

I found the shield around the starter is a magnet for everything. I have dropped manifold washers a couple times and they always seem to end up there. There was a hose clamp just chilling on my under tray for about 6 months. I didn't feel like taking that thing off and I was surprised it was still there.

deepcover6 Jun 28, 2007 05:40 AM

Well to put your doubts to rest, you can always buy this>>>http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...egoryCode=3499

ammarX786 Jun 28, 2007 06:16 AM

Found It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

So I decided to go take another look and near the passenger side axle/oil pan I saw a shiny black thing. I could see right through my wheels since they are a 5 star design and a lot of light comes through so I broke off a branch from a tree and went through the wheel and nudged the shiny black thing. And it was the socket!!!!!!! It was sitting upright, I pushed it over with the branch and carefully lifted it out through the wheel :)

My arm was completely black but man I felt soooooo good :)

I really can't believe it did not fall out.

Thanks again guys, I love evom!

4WS Tuning Jun 28, 2007 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by XxK1LLAxX (Post 4484126)

especially if its the last one and the hardware store is closed so you're stuck til the next day to finish something that should have been an hour job.

cfdfireman1 Jun 28, 2007 06:31 AM

"Dropped a socket into engine!"??? engine bay then, you scared me man.

ammarX786 Jun 28, 2007 06:40 AM

^^ hahaha yeah bro i meant engine bay

Chemwarrior Jun 28, 2007 06:48 AM

The best tool that I've ever gotten for a gift was one of those telescoping magnets. I've lost count how many times that thing has saved me from losing tools, bolts, nuts, etc.