EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Turbo Timer Wiring Question (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/29275-turbo-timer-wiring-question.html)

Mad_SB Jul 4, 2003 05:01 PM

Turbo Timer Wiring Question

1 Attachment(s)
O.K. folks.

I've had some trouble the last few days with stalling. Dealer blamed it on the turbo timer and said they could not get the car to stall with the TT unhooked. I want to double check the harness I got from boost solutions, it was listed as being a greddy harness for the evo8, along with the greddy full auto timer.

Based on the attached diagram taken from the service manual. I assume that IG1 (black with white stripe) would not drop voltage when the engine is cranking while IG2 (blue with white stripe) would drop voltage when the engine is cranking.

The greddy install instructions say that when the car has two ignition wires (or ON wires) you should connect the green wire (from the turbo timer) to the on wire which does not drop voltage when the starter is activated. And the blue wire (from the turbo timer) should go to the other Ignition wire.

So based on that I would connect green to IG1 and blue would go to IG2

The harness I got is just the opposite and I was wanting to check my logic.

Anyone? Class? Anyone?

evolife04 Jul 4, 2003 05:27 PM

i would get the HKS harness. i have the greddy one and bought the hks harness and it total plug and play the part is a MT-6 or
6-MT i plugged it right in and cost 15 bux. thats how i would go about it. if your local i would take a lokk at it for you. if not good luck {thumbup}

Mad_SB Jul 4, 2003 07:54 PM

I wouldn't have even thought about the harness not being correct had it not been for the stalling problem I had. The turbo timer seemed to work fine for several days before it stalled out on me.

I think the problem was with the imobilizer system on the car cause The key I have been using since day one no longer works but he spare key works fine. I never tried to start the car with the spare key before having it towed in but I never noticed the imobilizer light till after I got the car back form the dealer who cliamed that the car would stall out anytime they had the turbo timer and boost gauge connected. I sent the car to them with the spare key though not the one that I now know no longer works. It's possible that the key was the problem the whole time and the dealer is full of crap. But I need to eliminate all the variables and so I wanted someone to double check the wiring on the turbo timer with me.

It's possible that if the turbo timmer wiring is not correct that it could cause a few issues and I say that after looking through the wiring digrams for several hours.... seems just about every component on the car connects to the ecu at some point.

Mad_SB Jul 5, 2003 04:17 PM

Bump...

Class?... Anyone?..... Class?.....

timzcat Jul 5, 2003 05:12 PM

I agree that IG1 would go to Green and IG2 to Blue.

I didn't want to pull apart to look at where the leads from the harness (NT-6) go to the ignition but I did this for you.
Green to the TT does not drop voltage when the car is started. (10v actual). The blue wire does drop voltage when started (.77).
I am also 99% sure the green does go to the Black/White wire.
With the car off I can read continuity from green on TT to Black/White on ignition harness.
Do you have a test light?

Mad_SB Jul 6, 2003 06:05 AM

Originally posted by timzcat
I agree that IG1 would go to Green and IG2 to Blue.

I didn't want to pull apart to look at where the leads from the harness (NT-6) go to the ignition but I did this for you.
Green to the TT does not drop voltage when the car is started. (10v actual). The blue wire does drop voltage when started (.77).
I am also 99% sure the green does go to the Black/White wire.
With the car off I can read continuity from green on TT to Black/White on ignition harness.
Do you have a test light?

You rock man :headbang:

I have a digital volt meter (very old radiocrack model I think) though I don't have a test light. I had hooked up the harness without the timer to test the lines myself when I noticed my original key didn't work anymore, I was affraid that if the blue and green were reversed it could possibly cuase the imobilizer system to freak out and kill the key, so I din't want to push my luck and kill the other key.

Based on your thoughts and mine it would seem my harness has the blue and green reversed. According to the packingslip the harness i have is for the 95-99 eclipse, greddy part number GR15930013 type TT-14-43M.

Once I get my key fixed I'll put the harness back in and check the voltages on IG1 and IG2 in the on state and the start state to verify.

timzcat Jul 6, 2003 06:38 PM

Something I thought of , but am not sure if this is true or not.
If they are reversed, you would think that when you crank the car the TT would go out (shut off briefly) and then come back on. Not sure but it is possible that it is what powers it since it is the constant.

tpm17 Jul 8, 2003 03:05 PM

I would have prefered to have used an HKS harness but because Boost Solutions was sold out I had to work with a Greddy harness in conjunction with an HKS Type 1 TT. My question to you all is this:

The Greddy harness I believe is unlike the HKS harness in the way of three wires colored RED GREEN and WHITE with connectors on the tips of each of them. I do not believe the HKS harness has these wires. Can someone explain to me what these wires are for? The connections are obvious to me except these three. The TT has a blue brown and black wire which are clearly explained in the instructions, and I know where to connect them, I see where the harness connects to the TT and I definitely see where the harness is supposed to connect to, but what is puzzleing me are the three wires described which are part of the harness with connectors that look exactly like the wiring connectors found on the HKS TT. Can someone with the Greddy Harness help?

Mad_SB Jul 9, 2003 03:50 AM

I have the greddy harness, and based on the above it is not correctly wired. The HKS manual should tell you what wires you need to tap, probably the +12v, the IG1 and IG2.

I will caution you about using the greddy harness as It many have been the culprit in my stalling problem and cost me $450 at the dealer to get the car running again because I assumed the greddy harness was correct.

You would not use the white wire from the greddy harness, just the red, blue, and green... but again I think blue and green are reversed on the greddy harness.

tpm17 Jul 9, 2003 02:54 PM

But isn't the Greddy harness basically plug and play just like the HKS harness? I have the Greddy harness with an HKS Type 1 TT. I contacted Boost Solutions about the three wires with connectors on the tips of them, and they replied that the extra +12v wires are for use when a stereo system is installed or boost controller. So the three wires should not be touched. Other than that the harness with a TT should be simply plug and play. Am I not seeing something here?

Originally posted by mad_VIII
I have the greddy harness, and based on the above it is not correctly wired. The HKS manual should tell you what wires you need to tap, probably the +12v, the IG1 and IG2.

I will caution you about using the greddy harness as It many have been the culprit in my stalling problem and cost me $450 at the dealer to get the car running again because I assumed the greddy harness was correct.

You would not use the white wire from the greddy harness, just the red, blue, and green... but again I think blue and green are reversed on the greddy harness.

Mad_SB Jul 10, 2003 03:40 AM

Originally posted by tpm17
But isn't the Greddy harness basically plug and play just like the HKS harness? I have the Greddy harness with an HKS Type 1 TT. I contacted Boost Solutions about the three wires with connectors on the tips of them, and they replied that the extra +12v wires are for use when a stereo system is installed or boost controller. So the three wires should not be touched. Other than that the harness with a TT should be simply plug and play. Am I not seeing something here?

Your not missing anything. The harness should be plug and play... but based on the diagram posted above (from the temporary shop manual) It would seem that the greddy harness I got from boost solutions is not the correct harness to use on the evo.

I can't comment on the wiring for the hks TT cause they don't have a downloadable manual for it So I don't know the colorcodes and functions for each of the wires. It might work fine with the greddy harness. It's also possible that I just got sent the wrong harness. It's also possible that there is nothing wrong with my harness and the dealer was full of crap.

Perhapse a few more folks will post up how there Timers are wired (not what harness they are using but the color codes of the factory wires that there turbo timers are tied into via a harness or not) we can get a consenus on th eproper wiring.

I THOUGHT the harness was plug and play and so I didn't even supect that it could be part of the stalling/failure to start problems that I had. That thought cost me $450 for the dealer to comeback and tell me that they could not reproduce my problem unless they had the turbotimer plugged in. So unless the problem pops up again without the turbo timer installed... I'm out $450. THe dealer already told me that if the problem comes back and I don't have the turbo timer (or my boost gauge) hooked up they will get me a refund and find the real problem.

bo0oost Jul 10, 2003 11:22 PM

Hopefully this will help:

http://www.prostreetonline.com/pso/p...owto/ttevo.asp

Mad_SB Jul 11, 2003 02:43 AM

No it doesn't help. But thank you for the link.

The problem is no one says what wires to use in any "How-to" I have seen they all just say ohh use a harness for a 2g eclipse. I have a harness for a 2g eclipse (but greddy also makes three other harness's for 2g eclipse) and based on every tt install i have seen my install should have been fine.

But the car shoudl not stumble when you pull out the key like mine was doing from day one. I'm gonna see if I can find a email for greddy support and send them the wiring diagram and see what they say. I'm also gonna hook the harness back up this weekend and check the voltage reading myself just to make sure I'm not crazy.

Mad_SB Jul 25, 2003 03:01 PM

bump

timzcat Jul 25, 2003 03:06 PM

What are you bumping? :lol:

I thought you had this figured out by now. What happens when you crank the car over to start it. Does the TT just flicker real quick (hardly noticeable) or does it go out and come back on?
It should on flicker a little bit, based on my HKS harness on my car.