EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Cant boost past 10psi (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/324844-cant-boost-past-10psi.html)

2003raptor Feb 11, 2008 09:35 PM

Cant boost past 10psi

i can floor it, but it only goes a bit over 10psi but wont go near 11psi.. this only started a week ago, boost was fine before that, i know the answer is boost leak test, but i just wanted to know if it could be anything else that might be common. my car has 23,000 miles on it. could it be bad spark plugs or something like that? i ordered WORKS Aperture High Pressure Shaft Seals just to have them in case the oem is leaking.. also if it was a boost leak, should i not be able to reach 4krpm? because its hard to hit 4k rpm right now with my boost not going past 10psi.. in 2nd and 3rd gear. havent tested 4th or 5th.

sharkm87 Feb 11, 2008 09:38 PM

well technically you should reach any rpm without hitting "boost" persay....is it making any audible noises or its just hittin 11psi and driving normal....

i believe thats WG stock pressure....have you recently connected a MBC? EBC??? have you checked the hoses make sure nothing came loose...my boost gage hose disc. once causing it not to boost over 15psi...could be a loose hose which you would find by doin a boost leak test if its not visable right away.

i'd check there before looking at plugs...

Warrtalon Feb 11, 2008 09:44 PM

Your boost level has no effect on how hard it is to hit a certain rpm. Are you sure your car is actually struggling to get to 4k rpm? That would make no sense. 11psi isn't much for the Evo, but it's a lot more than most turbo'd cars, so it should still get to and beyond 4k rpm with ease.

11psi is base wastegate pressure, so you either messed up a recent install, a boost hose fell off, or you're not giving us all the details.

sharkm87 Feb 11, 2008 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Warrtalon (Post 5271891)
you're not giving us all the details.

{thumbup}

2003raptor Feb 12, 2008 05:16 AM

thanks for the reply's, also id love to give you more details but theres not much to say about something i dont know about, you know? im just trying to figure out the problem with what i know, i understand that makes it harder to diagnose but i do appreciate it. yes i do have a boost gauge so ill check that tomorrow, i did notice something that sounded like it was hissing, but i have no clue where it was coming from, possibly where you both said. so ill find out tomorrow and let you guys know if it was the problem. thanks again.

tmaxxman21 Feb 12, 2008 08:33 AM

that happens to me when i put my car all back to stock becuase of my tune.

evox7 Mar 15, 2008 02:51 PM

just put my car back to stock 100% and all I can hit is about 11psi. What can I do?

Warrtalon Mar 15, 2008 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by evox7 (Post 5413770)
just put my car back to stock 100% and all I can hit is about 11psi. What can I do?

You either didn't re-use the 100% stock boost lines, or you used them and instlaled them improperly. Only the OEM hoses in the proper configuration with the 2 restrictor pills in the right place will give proper stock boost.

evox7 Mar 15, 2008 06:00 PM

really? I have only one restricor pill off the J pipe that cobb made for me that are back to the stock setting. Where can I get factory boost lines? without having to go to the dealer

bevolucion Mar 15, 2008 06:12 PM

no need factory boost lines. something close would still work, as long as the hoses are good quality meaning they wont collapse or be sucked in do to vacumm. the probable issue is improper installation of hoses to the boost solenoid. Read the manual of the car and you'll see that if I'm not mistaken you'll practically connect a vacumm line from the wategate actuator to the turbo nipple, then T off that line to one of the boost solenoid nipple(not sure witch one it is ,look it up) and the nipple thats left of the solenoid needs to be connected with a vacumm line to the intake pipe.

evox7 Mar 15, 2008 08:03 PM

They are hooked up right. I need the second restrictor pill. Thats what is causing my problem

Warrtalon Mar 15, 2008 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by bevolucion (Post 5414315)
no need factory boost lines. something close would still work, as long as the hoses are good quality meaning they wont collapse or be sucked in do to vacumm. the probable issue is improper installation of hoses to the boost solenoid. Read the manual of the car and you'll see that if I'm not mistaken you'll practically connect a vacumm line from the wategate actuator to the turbo nipple, then T off that line to one of the boost solenoid nipple(not sure witch one it is ,look it up) and the nipple thats left of the solenoid needs to be connected with a vacumm line to the intake pipe.

This is 100% wrong. Why would you say that? You can't just use any random hoses unless you know how to get the exact restrictor pills and put them in the exact place - good luck with that. The stock hoses are only $15 from Mitsu - easier than trying your own hack job.

really? I have only one restricor pill off the J pipe that cobb made for me that are back to the stock setting. Where can I get factory boost lines? without having to go to the dealer
J-pipe, as in the compressor outlet pipe? If so, that's the right hose, and the WG hose doesn't have one, but you also need one on the long hose going to the BCS on the other side ofthe Tee.

evox7 Mar 15, 2008 09:48 PM

Do you have a part number, so I can get these ordered from mitsubishi?

Warrtalon Mar 15, 2008 09:51 PM

It's been posted many times - do a quick search for "boost hoses" or something like that.

evox7 Mar 15, 2008 11:29 PM

same hoses for 8 and 9s?