EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   compression test on a used evo (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/348617-compression-test-used-evo.html)

deadbeatrec May 30, 2008 05:25 PM

compression test on a used evo

so my buddy bought a used evo 9 and there is a little blue smoke coming out of the tail pipe at wot. so i am going to help him figure out this dilemma.

so some of the things i need to know are....

1. what the stock compression should be in PSI on a stock evo

2. what fuse to take out to disable the fuel pump so when doing the compression test we dont fill the cylinders with fuel

also after i do this i will be checking to see i the turbo is spitting oil. will be checking the intercooler and pipes.

so if anyone can chime in and answer some of these quesions, that would be fantastic! also make any sugestions.

i will be doing a boost check as well just to make sure he has no leaks.

thanks!

Exciting News May 30, 2008 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by deadbeatrec (Post 5720628)
so my buddy bought a used evo 9 and there is a little blue smoke coming out of the tail pipe at wot. so i am going to help him figure out this dilemma.

so some of the things i need to know are....

1. what the stock compression should be in PSI on a stock evo

2. what fuse to take out to disable the fuel pump so when doing the compression test we dont fill the cylinders with fuel

also after i do this i will be checking to see i the turbo is spitting oil. will be checking the intercooler and pipes.

so if anyone can chime in and answer some of these quesions, that would be fantastic! also make any sugestions.

i will be doing a boost check as well just to make sure he has no leaks.

thanks!

1. For a IX it's about 145

2. No need. Just disconnect the cam angle sensor. Look for the triangle connector near the right side (if you're facing the firewall) of the valve cover area.

Remember, do it with the engine warm and with the throttle wide open. Crank it until about 5 Mississippi and you're good.

deadbeatrec May 31, 2008 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Exciting News (Post 5720712)
1. For a IX it's about 145

2. No need. Just disconnect the cam angle sensor. Look for the triangle connector near the right side (if you're facing the firewall) of the valve cover area.

Remember, do it with the engine warm and with the throttle wide open. Crank it until about 5 Mississippi and you're good.

so just disconect the sensor and we will be good? that stops fuel from spitting?

ok i will do, thanks.

any other sugestions to look for?

Exciting News May 31, 2008 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by deadbeatrec (Post 5721827)
so just disconect the sensor and we will be good? that stops fuel from spitting?

ok i will do, thanks.

any other sugestions to look for?

That is correct. Your injectors won't fire with the CAS disconnected. It's pretty easy to do. Make sure the tester is threaded snugly but don't ham-fist it. Those aluminum spark plug threads ain't the strongest things on the planet.

Good luck.

deadbeatrec May 31, 2008 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Exciting News (Post 5721919)
That is correct. Your injectors won't fire with the CAS disconnected. It's pretty easy to do. Make sure the tester is threaded snugly but don't ham-fist it. Those aluminum spark plug threads ain't the strongest things on the planet.

Good luck.

I a write up that said to disconect the crank shaft pos sensor, im assuming both will work.

scottatyamaha May 31, 2008 06:47 AM

Is this car modded?

packrat May 31, 2008 06:57 AM

You could probably just pull an ecu fuse. If there is no primary ignition, there will be no fuel injector pulse. This way you can avoid a check engine light after your done.

deadbeatrec May 31, 2008 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by packrat (Post 5721984)
You could probably just pull an ecu fuse. If there is no primary ignition, there will be no fuel injector pulse. This way you can avoid a check engine light after your done.

the car is stock as far as i know

and what ecu fuse? u have to be a little more specific here as i have never done this to an evo, only older cars and a svt focus.y would it pull a check engine light?

gsrboi80 May 31, 2008 08:04 AM

It might because your trying to turn the car over with the cam sensor disconnected. Just reset it when your done no biggie

deadbeatrec May 31, 2008 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by gsrboi80 (Post 5722099)
It might because your trying to turn the car over with the cam sensor disconnected. Just reset it when your done no biggie

very true. i will if he gets a code.

but i have a built 9:1 motor in my evo, i wonder what my compression will be. like 175+ i bet. im courious now and i might just do mine.

deadbeatrec Jun 1, 2008 08:50 AM

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...mpression+test

nice little how to incase anyone cares