EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Video of (TC) Transfer Case noise....... (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/357846-video-tc-transfer-case-noise.html)

PATRICK B. Jul 15, 2008 08:27 PM

Video of (TC) Transfer Case noise.......

Here is a quick vid of the noise i've been hearing and i'm 100% sure it's not normal :(

Please bear w/ the crude video but about half way through when i go through the gears you can hear a whine and crazy decel noise in 4th gear especially.

I'll try and send this vid link to Shep to see what he thinks.

****ty thing is i was all set to hit the track tomorrow!

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...0715190400.flv

Let me know what ya think.

SOEuro Jul 15, 2008 08:29 PM

hit the track and blow it up!!!

eponti Jul 15, 2008 08:34 PM

Sound's like a TC.Take it up to 70mph see if it gets louder.If so then it's your tc going out.Does it whine when the car is not moving and in neutral?

JKD Jul 15, 2008 10:17 PM

Ouch man. Doesn't sounds good :(

Kmac Jul 15, 2008 11:36 PM

Does the car have ACD?

evo/lightning Jul 15, 2008 11:43 PM

That sounds real ugly. Sounds like the TC.

Toxin Jul 16, 2008 04:39 AM

Yep. Transfer case.

PATRICK B. Jul 16, 2008 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Kmac (Post 5893735)
Does the car have ACD?

Yes it does it's a 06 IX.

I figured it was once i started to hear a slight whine....it has gotten progressive;y worse but luckily i don't drive it too much.

I'll e-mail John @ ShepTrans the link to see what he thinks but looks like no racing for me just more wrenching :drink:

OK so what are people's ideas about going to a non-acd tc as this car will mainly see the street and the strip? What's involved in the swap?

I asked that ? a while back and got a few offers for help via pm so if anyone out there cares to share that info please do so so i can make a decision ASAP.

I actually have an offer from Devin@ SpeedElement for a non-acd TC w/ an evo lsd in it refreshed by Lee Myles Transmissions i believe.

Or would it be easier to just ship mine out to Shep?

PATRICK B. Jul 16, 2008 01:22 PM

Here's John's reply to my e-mail:

Well , the noise on decel is very normal especially with a solid hub clutch disc. It is a resonance from the 4g63 that has been there on cars since the 1990 in dsms. If you are hearing a whining noise it could be that the ring and pinion have worn but I cannot tell from the video.

Rebuilding the transfer will NOT fix the decel noise though.

John

I'm going to hold off on going to the track today just in case as i don't want to cause any further damage if there is any.......:thumbdown

Will tear it out next week after camping this weekend. :)

vmrevo9 Jul 16, 2008 01:29 PM

wow thats wierd, good luck man!

evo/lightning Jul 16, 2008 02:41 PM

Yeah good luck. I have a transfercase from an 06 evo 9 with only 18k. But whatever you do good luck.

evovin Jul 16, 2008 07:42 PM

Pare,
What clutch do you have ?

PATRICK B. Jul 16, 2008 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by evovin (Post 5897197)
Pare,
What clutch do you have ?

It's a Quarter Master Twin.

ineedparts Jul 17, 2008 04:13 AM

wow patrick. what part of cali do you stay in? your evo is a BEAST! 10 second evo ftw!!!! what turbo you running? and hopefully everything works out good for you man!

PATRICK B. Jul 17, 2008 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by ineedparts (Post 5898051)
wow patrick. what part of cali do you stay in? your evo is a BEAST! 10 second evo ftw!!!! what turbo you running? and hopefully everything works out good for you man!

Thanks very much for the compliment :)

I'm located in NORCAL in the SF Bay Area.

So what does evryone else think i know there are others that have gone through this so let me hear what you have to say.....especially those that tend to drag race a lot i'd like to hear from mainly from those people that have damaged a TC.

I can get more vids if that woud help.........all i know is that almost every other Evo i ride in even w/ other twin disc clutch brands......( although no motor mounts ) does not make the same noise both on accel and decel :confused: