EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   So I took my airfilter cover off (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/38756-so-i-took-my-airfilter-cover-off.html)

Deceit Sep 10, 2003 09:37 AM

So I took my airfilter cover off

So before I get my AEM intake and HKS SSQ, I decided to fiddle with my car a bit.. one by taking off the airbox cover, leaving the air filter exposed. It made the car a hell of a lot louder and I can hear the diverter make the swooosh sound. it seems to let it pull a little bit harder too. anyone try this with their stock intake setup?

AvatarOfWar Sep 10, 2003 09:49 AM

The air filter didn't fall out? I guess it does rest deep enough into the plastic shroud... still seems like it would be pulling in a lot of hot air, but I guess that's how the other intake systems work too.

Deceit Sep 10, 2003 10:04 AM

ya. I was looking at the other intake systems for our cars and noticed none of them have the plastic piece on at the top (or atleast on the pictures). I figured since I'd be removing the top off, it'd be more airspace for the intake to grab (still keeping that thing that draws air in from the hood). you can really hear the swoosh of the diverter. guess i'll be keeping it off til my aem intake comes :).

kdogg Sep 10, 2003 11:23 AM

I may give this a try. Which is better though, less cooler air (stock) or more warmer air (cover off or intake)?

Deceit Sep 10, 2003 01:05 PM

i was told it doesn't matter what temp it's pulling in because it all gets cooled by the intercooler anyway.. the hks filter is exposed without the airbox cover, isn't it? aem too i think as well as the others

SilverEvo8owner Sep 10, 2003 01:24 PM

Originally posted by Deceit
i was told it doesn't matter what temp it's pulling in because it all gets cooled by the intercooler anyway..
:rolleyes: oh lord, lets not start this again. Please!

bovbilly Sep 10, 2003 01:37 PM

Does this hurt your engine at all?

alleggerita Sep 10, 2003 01:48 PM

Gee, I did this on my first Moped at age 14 - a decidedly low-tech approach. It worked then and it will work now, but there are probably better ways to increase airflow. :) :shoot: :)

IS2000 Sep 10, 2003 02:10 PM

Open your airbox cover will mess up the A/F ratio.

Deceit Sep 10, 2003 03:09 PM

I have an SAFC though.. but this was just a temporary experiment to see if there's any improvement til I get my AEM.

webguy330i Sep 10, 2003 06:33 PM

So I'm almost at 1000 miles today and decided to give this a shot, what the hell right? The intake noise is definitely more prevalent and the diverter is definitely louder, especially during light throttle applications.

I'm curious though, how much can this possibly throw off the a/f ratio at any given rpm point? It's not much more air than normal, being the stock filter element and all, and still keeping the stock plumbing underneath. Car seemed to pull all the way to 6k (heh, I am waiting until 1200 to redline) without any issues or hesitations, and just as strongly as before with the box cover on.

I even ghetto'd it up with a little duct tape neatly placed over the box top clips to hold the filter in place. ;)

Anyone have any additional input on this? I have an HKS SMF on the way as I type this... so yes it's temporary.

Evilution VIII Sep 10, 2003 06:46 PM

Originally posted by webguy330i

I'm curious though, how much can this possibly throw off the a/f ratio at any given rpm point? It's not much more air than normal, being the stock filter element and all, and still keeping the stock plumbing underneath. Car seemed to pull all the way to 6k (heh, I am waiting until 1200 to redline) without any issues or hesitations, and just as strongly as before with the box cover on.

I wouldnt worry about it ... its not going to effect it that much... nothing the factory computer couldnt adjust for....

Kyle M.

webguy330i Sep 10, 2003 06:47 PM

Precisely what I figured, thanks for the confirmation.

Now the other question is, would an aftermarket intake such as the HKS or A'pex unit require some additional a/f tuning that the stock ecu cannot compensate for? I've seen a few intakes selling with "recommendations" for an a/f controller.

AvatarOfWar Sep 10, 2003 06:59 PM

Originally posted by webguy330i
I even ghetto'd it up with a little duct tape neatly placed over the box top clips to hold the filter in place. ;)

Anyone have any additional input on this? I have an HKS SMF on the way as I type this... so yes it's temporary.

I'd be real careful with putting anything in the path of the air inlet... if that tape comes loose and get's sucked in, you're screwed :p

webguy330i Sep 10, 2003 07:02 PM

It can't, it's taped to the side of the air box bottom to push the clip heads over the top edge of the filter element itself. But thanks for making me paranoid. :)

I'll snap a pic of it tomorrow.