EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Exedy Stage 1 or No-name (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/402215-exedy-stage-1-no-name.html)

GPTourer Feb 23, 2009 03:11 PM

Exedy Stage 1 or No-name

My stock clutch has 41K miles on it and although it isn't slipping, its starting to buck and jerk the car in reverse and getting harder to leave in first smoothly. So I'm thinking I will replace it before I start to mod the car more. I only have a drop in filter and catback and I don't plan to do much more past a few other things so I will not have more then 350wtp or so.

I've read and think I've narrowed it down to the Exedy stage 1 organic and RRE no-name as I still have plenty of warranty left on the car and I just don't need an aggressive clutch kicking my butt all day in traffic.

Which one do you reccomend and why?

heel2toe Feb 23, 2009 04:15 PM

Well if you are hoping to keep your warranty then you would have to replace it with a factory clutch.

Jeff_Jeske Feb 23, 2009 04:47 PM

The stage one will feel just like stock. A local fella has one and its held up nicely. He probably has 20-30 launches on it at about the 320whp level. It holds plenty of power and is easy to drive. The stage one has had some bad publicity on this forum but I think that is from a relativity small number of people. Kinda like how the stock clutch gets bad reviews.

Lastly... it may even pass for OEM as it looks identical to the stock unit.

Mr. Evo IX Feb 23, 2009 05:32 PM

I thought the stg1 was totally craptastic. Lasted 12K miles (1yr) with a handful of launches, in comparison the stock clutch lasted 24K (2 1/2yrs) with 25 or so launches and a track day. My car get's daily driven in traffic day in day out - little to no highway miles. I thought the stg1 would be a good choice but it really let me down.

Also they are not identical in appearance - The oem clutch is purple and has 4 springs, the stg1 is unpainted and has 6 springs. The stg1 has a heavy pedal feel and crappy engagment. Right before it wore out it started driving pretty decent - LOL. I dont know anything about the no-name RRE clutch but I would recommend the OEM clutch over the stg1.

Jeff_Jeske Feb 23, 2009 06:45 PM

The no name is an unpainted ACT.

The stg 1 is close enough to the untrained eye.

If I was the OP I would look into the fidanza 2.1 or 3.2.

Mr. Evo IX Feb 23, 2009 07:01 PM

I agree with Jeff about the Fidanza, it's a very nice clutch for the Evo. I test drove the model reviewed on this site and give it a big thumbs up (light pedal, grabs like glue). I would have it now but they don't offer it for the MR... go figure. I bet it would work but since Fidanza said it wouldnt I didnt chance it.

t51splbb Feb 23, 2009 07:16 PM

If you're looking for a clutch with the same performance as the stock one get the Exedy Stage 1. If you're looking for a aftermarket clutch that looks stock get the RRE. Comparing them to each other is not a apples to apples comparison though. Good luck.

Kracka Feb 23, 2009 07:26 PM

Check out the Competition Stage 2; its exactly what you need.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-flywheel.html

v-manracing Feb 23, 2009 07:53 PM

ACT HDSS, can't go wrong, have it in for 1 year with some good launches, no problems

dbsears Feb 23, 2009 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske (Post 6730868)
The no name is an unpainted ACT.

The stg 1 is close enough to the untrained eye.

If I was the OP I would look into the fidanza 2.1 or 3.2.

Are you sure its an ACT...it sounds very similiar but it seems I have read alot of positive review from the Socal guys.

RAC3R X Feb 23, 2009 11:57 PM

EXEDY TWIN CLUTCH!!!!!{thumbup}

BLKLIST Feb 24, 2009 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX (Post 6730924)
I agree with Jeff about the Fidanza, it's a very nice clutch for the Evo. I test drove the model reviewed on this site and give it a big thumbs up (light pedal, grabs like glue). I would have it now but they don't offer it for the MR... go figure. I bet it would work but since Fidanza said it wouldnt I didnt chance it.

When Fidanza released their Evo X clutches they also cam out with a full line for the MR 6 speeds now :)

grillpt Feb 24, 2009 08:25 AM

I looked at the Exedy stg1 and was told be everyone it was a total piece of crap. I ended up getting the Clutchmasters Stg2, haven't installed it yet but I think I'll be happy with my choice.

Just food for thought.

Jeff_Jeske Feb 24, 2009 05:15 PM

Clutchmasters make good sheet as well.

GPTourer Feb 24, 2009 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske (Post 6730414)
The stage one will feel just like stock. A local fella has one and its held up nicely. He probably has 20-30 launches on it at about the 320whp level. It holds plenty of power and is easy to drive. The stage one has had some bad publicity on this forum but I think that is from a relativity small number of people. Kinda like how the stock clutch gets bad reviews.

Lastly... it may even pass for OEM as it looks identical to the stock unit.

Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
I thought the stg1 was totally craptastic. Lasted 12K miles (1yr) with a handful of launches, in comparison the stock clutch lasted 24K (2 1/2yrs) with 25 or so launches and a track day. My car get's daily driven in traffic day in day out - little to no highway miles. I thought the stg1 would be a good choice but it really let me down.

Hmmm, two totally opposite reviews. I don't launch very often, maybe like 3 times total since I've had it, and I don't really think those times qualify as launches, just hard leaves because I've never had the car at the strip. All I want is a new clutch that has a bit more clamping power so it doesn't slip once I add, like 100 lb/ft of torque or so. I'm not looking for something that will allow me to drag race better. I'm also a bit leery of ACT since I had some bad experience with them with my DSM. I will look into these Fidanzas too. Thanks for the help everyone.