EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   FP Red Supporting Mod. bottlenecks... (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/442038-fp-red-supporting-mod-bottlenecks.html)

speedypeat Aug 22, 2009 03:39 PM

FP Red Supporting Mod. bottlenecks...

I have just ordered an FP Red for my IX MR. I have the below listed power mods. How much of a bottleneck is the HFC, stock intake manifold, stock head (and springs) and stock ignition? For now, I'm just getting tuned for 93 oct. Later, I will add alcohol injection...

Ported and coated O2 housing and exhaust manifold
Buschur TBE w/HFC
Perrin Intake
Cosworth Cams
Exedy Twin
PTE 1000cc Injectors
AMS IC & Pipes

Thanks to all in advance.

scarface2jz Aug 22, 2009 03:46 PM

sounds like a great mod list, but to get the most out of the turbo,

valvetrain to rev with the powerband
test pipe
02 housing wastegate dump
port match the intake mani and throttle body

with all that on meth tuned, your looking at an easy high 400whp, and depending on the tuner and dyno you may even hit low 500's with an aggressive tune

Paintballguy Aug 22, 2009 04:03 PM

id get a buschur coated/ported exhaust manifold also. i'm doing a red also. i just picked up the shearer o2 dump, and i want to see how it does on the dyno. i've heard they suck and they are awesome. i guess ill find out.

speedypeat Aug 22, 2009 05:06 PM

I've got a ported and coated exhaust manifold. I'm considering a MILSPEC HFC and MAPerformance ported stock intake manifold (rev2 or 3)... Later, with the Aquamist setup, I might add a Shearer exhaust manifold. You know how it is, you're never quite finished...

JKD Aug 22, 2009 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by speedypeat (Post 7426237)
I have just ordered an FP Red for my IX MR. I have the below listed power mods. How much of a bottleneck is the HFC, stock intake manifold, stock head (and springs) and stock ignition? For now, I'm just getting tuned for 93 oct. Later, I will add alcohol injection...

Ported and coated O2 housing and exhaust manifold
Buschur TBE w/HFC
Perrin Intake
Cosworth Cams
Exedy Twin
PTE 1000cc Injectors
AMS IC & Pipes

Thanks to all in advance.

You sir have a great taste in mods. Don't sweat the head, IM, and IGN. You'll make great power as you sit.

speedypeat Aug 22, 2009 05:47 PM

Thanks.:beer: I recently had my 60,000 mile service done along with my clutch and was talked into the Red. I really wasn't planning on touching the car until next Spring, but a conversation with the guys at the shop about the relative merits of the BBK Full and FP Red twisted my arm (and thus I twisted my wife's arm, figuratively)... Now I'm just trying to make sure I'm not half stepping...:D

DragEvo9 Aug 22, 2009 08:16 PM

half steeping is the worse thing i think you can do... if your going to do it all out one shot ive mad that mistake before

Paintballguy Aug 22, 2009 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by speedypeat (Post 7426453)
I've got a ported and coated exhaust manifold. I'm considering a MILSPEC HFC and MAPerformance ported stock intake manifold (rev2 or 3)... Later, with the Aquamist setup, I might add a Shearer exhaust manifold. You know how it is, you're never quite finished...

i would just go with a test pipe. its just going to rob hp.

still*boostn Aug 23, 2009 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by speedypeat (Post 7426572)
Thanks.:beer: I recently had my 60,000 mile service done along with my clutch and was talked into the Red. I really wasn't planning on touching the car until next Spring, but a conversation with the guys at the shop about the relative merits of the BBK Full and FP Red twisted my arm (and thus I twisted my wife's arm, figuratively)... Now I'm just trying to make sure I'm not half stepping...:D

like said befor, nice mod list. if you wanted to top it off with a ported/ match exhaust ports and mani, couldnt hurt with spool time. could also toss some springs in the head, along with new head gasket and timing belt, and arp head studs while your there. your going to have to do the timing sooner or later.

i know thats a couple $100 list but. that would top off what your trying to do.
GL!! :mitsu:

speedypeat Aug 23, 2009 04:27 AM

When I got the 60,000 mile service, my belts were changed along with my head gasket, so I'm good to go on those fronts. Also, I forgot to mention I already have ARP headstuds and a Whinebro...

cij911 Aug 23, 2009 07:10 AM

Are you on the stock FMIC??? If so, you'll need to upgrade that for sure with the Red if you plan on running a decent amount of boost (and you want to make power). The stock FMIC is fine for the stock turbo on relatively low boost, but can get heat soaked fairly quickly.

Good luck

speedypeat Aug 23, 2009 07:27 AM

No, AMS IC and Pipes...

boostedtres Aug 23, 2009 07:31 AM

i would recommend springs and retainers as well. might as well if you want to get the most out of the high powerband and the cams. better safe now. nice mod list you will love the new found power with the red

JKD Aug 23, 2009 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by boostedtres (Post 7427634)
i would recommend springs and retainers as well. might as well if you want to get the most out of the high powerband and the cams. better safe now. nice mod list you will love the new found power with the red

Agreed. He might already have springs though :mitsu:

McLaren F1 2003 Aug 23, 2009 09:03 AM

he still has stock springs.

the mil.spec cat is a quality unit, i still made decent power with it. so if you really want to keep a cat (noise, smell, whatever), id get that...otherwise, buy a test pipe