EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   IX owners with upgraded cams (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/442829-ix-owners-upgraded-cams.html)

rickssz Aug 26, 2009 01:30 PM

IX owners with upgraded cams

I have a IX and am considering putting in aftermarket cams. After doing searches Im hearing stuff like IX's have bigger cams anyway its not worth it and VIII's are responsive to cams and they make a big difference, IX's not so much save your money. Anyone have the real scoop on IX cams and which ones do you use?

yooyooyoo Aug 26, 2009 01:33 PM

stock turbo or aftermarket?

BluByYouEvoVIII Aug 26, 2009 01:55 PM

I have GSC S2 cams and they work nicely. IX's don't make as big of gains as the VIII's, but they do still pick up power or else nobody would ever do them.

gpintoevo9 Aug 26, 2009 02:02 PM

It also depends on your application of use. If you want to road course get a mild cam for gain in the midrange and spool. If you want to drag race make sure to get a big cam. I gain about 20ish hp from cams alone (stock turbo)

evoix16 Aug 26, 2009 02:07 PM

+1 on the GSC S2s with fp green and can feel the difference. they make nice power

rickssz Aug 26, 2009 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by yooyooyoo (Post 7440376)
stock turbo or aftermarket?

stock for now-not forever

o-townFLA Aug 26, 2009 04:33 PM

the cosworth M2 cams installed in my car helped out significantly in the top-end...

I4UnderPressure Aug 26, 2009 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by rickssz (Post 7441052)
stock for now-not forever

Go with GSC S1 cams, no upgraded springs needed and they work wonderfully with the stock turbo. You won't be dissappointed. Just drop em in and go.

apagan01 Aug 26, 2009 06:02 PM

M2's from cossworth helpped my top end somewhat, however i have seen people running the stock IX cams with FP red's and green's making some great power not being able to justify bigger cam.

i wish i have kept my stock cams on my IX

sevy2213 Aug 26, 2009 06:04 PM

I4UnderPressure.....are the gsc s1 cams a mid range cam? also what bout the kelfords what would be a mid range came that they offer? 264? 272?

thanks for the help

EriCS Aug 26, 2009 08:01 PM

I have a BNIB set of gsc 1 for sale if anybody is interested. I am going with a larger cam for an upgraded turbo

o-townFLA Aug 26, 2009 09:14 PM

this is the increased top-end I was talking about...

cosworth cams, injectors and a retune were the only mods added from the previous tune...

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...A/Evo/mdpp.jpg

N33d4sp33d Aug 26, 2009 09:35 PM

i was confused the same way with Mivec cams and non-mivec evo 8 cams....I have an Evo 9 and currently doing a 800whp build, am going with GSC S2s for street use and hugeee mid-range to Up-top power !!! If you're going with stock appearing turbos like Fp Green/Red...stick with stock cams or perhaps GSC S1s....better yet, ask Greg from GSCmotorsports....Great Guy !

FJF Aug 26, 2009 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by rickssz (Post 7440364)
I have a IX and am considering putting in aftermarket cams. After doing searches Im hearing stuff like IX's have bigger cams anyway its not worth it and VIII's are responsive to cams and they make a big difference, IX's not so much save your money. Anyone have the real scoop on IX cams and which ones do you use?

Have a look at Mellon's thread on this page. The owner installed a set of cams into a IX, after the basic upgrades, and posted the DLL plots. Have a look through the dyno forum, as well. The results tell the story.

turbo addict Aug 27, 2009 12:02 AM

Wouldnt you be able to tune the mivec cam gear. or at least do most of the other mods first. I have a friend that did 268* and made almost no difference.