EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   new built motor! smokin a little wen cold ??? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/454813-new-built-motor-smokin-little-wen-cold.html)

moses_4g63 Oct 25, 2009 09:24 PM

new built motor! smokin a little wen cold ???

i had the motor done on my evo 8 and i have been breaking it in ive put about 500 miles on a break in tune and the car has yet to really even see boost! when the motor is still alittle on the cold side it smokes not sever at all but the smoke is on the whiter side and it only smokes under throttle not at idle wat so ever! once the motor reachs full temp it dosent smoke ???? and my oil levels havent really went down much at all in these 500 miles! feed back please!

06ravenmr Oct 25, 2009 09:31 PM

re torqe ur head.. are u using arp studs????

Armyevo2003 Oct 25, 2009 09:53 PM

what did you have rebuilt on the engine specifically? Is it a 2.0 rebuild or a 2.3 stroker? Did you blow the engine before and and using the same oil cooler?

moses_4g63 Oct 25, 2009 10:42 PM

yes i have arp head studs and no the motor has never been blown and its a 2.0 20 over and the head will be re tourqued before it goes on the dyno and sees boost! but also the break in tune thats on it is set to runn really rich if i take it to boost now if im running really rich would that cause some smoke? isnt un burnt fuel on the lighter side smoke wise?

moses_4g63 Oct 25, 2009 10:44 PM

oh and i did new rods pistons all new bearings etc sent the head out to get decked and checked for cracks and a basic look over of all my valves and springs etc and it all was fine

xRoguex Oct 25, 2009 11:14 PM

500 miles .. and no boost yet?!

You need to learn how to break in a motor..

4G63Rules Oct 25, 2009 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by moses_4g63 (Post 7650985)
i had the motor done on my evo 8 and i have been breaking it in ive put about 500 miles on a break in tune and the car has yet to really even see boost! when the motor is still alittle on the cold side it smokes not sever at all but the smoke is on the whiter side and it only smokes under throttle not at idle wat so ever! once the motor reachs full temp it dosent smoke ???? and my oil levels havent really went down much at all in these 500 miles! feed back please!

What exactly do you mean by havent really went down much? It shouldnt be burning oil at all. How much oil have you lost?

Have you checked your turbo lately for shaftplay?

Clutchdc5 Oct 26, 2009 12:03 AM

this might be a retarded question, is it snowing where your at?

whitegalant Oct 26, 2009 12:16 AM

I thought when a motor is built for boost it is supposed to be broken in under boost?

o7'silvermax Oct 26, 2009 12:22 AM

your rings might have been cut to much

brk4sti Oct 26, 2009 01:12 AM

I bet you have huge ring gaps that's my guess

JakeTheVIII Oct 26, 2009 05:47 AM

should be breaking it in with boost

moses_4g63 Oct 26, 2009 09:37 AM

as far as the motor breakin goes it seems every one has a diff opinon but either way i appreciate the feed back i will be re tourqing the head and changing the oil and plugs today and hopfully it will see the dyno tonight or tommarow !

loch Oct 26, 2009 04:26 PM

u probably babied it too much during break in, the rings havent been bedded to the block properly, so during warm up a little oil still seeps into the Combustion chamber.

moderate break ins are especially important in built engines with aftermarket rings and overbores

buchnerj Oct 26, 2009 04:30 PM

You want to break it in under gradual and variable levels of boost but not under WOT. You must break it in under boost if you are going to run the car everyday under boost..