EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   how do i bleed my clutch? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/461043-how-do-i-bleed-my-clutch.html)

mitsuevodriver Nov 30, 2009 09:34 PM

how do i bleed my clutch?

Well recently my slave cylinder just gave out on me. Just had a new one that came in today and i need help quick. Im trying to install my slave cylinder in and i need help on bleeding my clutch(slave cylinder)????????I dont know, But heres a picture of the slave cylinder and need help on which screws i should be touching for the bleeding. Thanks.

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/z...nebay11111.jpg

mr.almeida Nov 30, 2009 10:10 PM

On the slave cylinder there should be a bleeder valve with a rubber nipple on it. You take off the nipple and then open the line. It depends if you're gravity bleeding it or using a machine. Anyhow you put brake fluid/clutch fluid in a water bottle and place it on the master cylinder. You'll need two people to bleed the clutch, one to pump the clutch and the other to open the valve. Have someone pump the clutch 10x's and then hold it, proceed to open the valve on the master cylinder. Repeat until pressure is built.

mitsuevodriver Nov 30, 2009 10:14 PM

which one is the master cylinder?

mr.almeida Nov 30, 2009 10:16 PM

In that picture it appears to be the red arrow pointing downward at the bottom of the picture, to the right of that is the clutch line.

artevo9 Nov 30, 2009 10:21 PM

do i need to bleed clutch when install clutch lines?

mitsuevodriver Nov 30, 2009 10:22 PM

Alright. Thanks alot. So i get a partner. Tell them to pump the clutch 10 times and then open the master cylinder to let all the air out until theres no more air in there? Would i need any bottles or anything to do this? Sorry for asking so much. I Just want to learn it myself.

mr.almeida Nov 30, 2009 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by artevo9 (Post 7756677)
do i need to bleed clutch when install clutch lines?

Yes, bleeding the clutch is a must.

Originally Posted by mitsuevodriver (Post 7756679)
Alright. Thanks alot. So i get a partner. Tell them to pump the clutch 10 times and then open the master cylinder to let all the air out until theres no more air in there? Would i need any bottles or anything to do this? Sorry for asking so much. I Just want to learn it myself.

Well for starters, get the recommended brake fluid, there's DOT 3 and DOT 4 I don't know what Mitsubishi recommends. They have different boiling points.

-A bottle is used for convenience I prefer 16oz. water bottles because they fit perfectly over the master cylinder, well at least for Hondas. Otherwise you'd have to keep filling the master cylinder manually everytime it gets low.

- The second person will have to pump the clutch 10x's and then HOLD THE CLUTCH DOWN! After that you open the line and let the brake fluid squirt out. Have them pump the clutch again and hold, until you have pressure. It may take several times to do this. I should also add that after you open the clutch line, you close it and have your partner pump again.

Overall it's pretty easy, you'll get the hang of it. NP on the questions, it's good you want to learn.

mitsuevodriver Nov 30, 2009 10:56 PM

Thanks man for helping man. I really appreciate it. So the master cylinder is where i put the liquid in and the bolt where the metal line goes on my picture up there is the one i loosen the bolt to let the liquid out? Orrrrrrrr..../?????llol kinda confusing.

mr.almeida Nov 30, 2009 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by mitsuevodriver (Post 7756729)
Thanks man for helping man. I really appreciate it. So the master cylinder is where i put the liquid in and the bolt where the metal line goes on my picture up there is the one i loosen the bolt to let the liquid out? Orrrrrrrr..../?????llol kinda confusing.

Yes sir. Just so you know the clutch master cylinder is the smaller one, the bigger want is the brake master cylinder. In the picture it's not the metal line itself, but where the arrow is pointing down, which is next to the metal line.

mitsuevodriver Nov 30, 2009 11:13 PM

Wait, So could i use a tube to pump in some brake fluid? Or i just turn over the bottle and leave the bottle facing up on the master cylinder? And do i have to loosen the master cylinder bolt to pump in brake fluid?

huevosrancheros Nov 30, 2009 11:13 PM

you hook up a rubber hose w/a bottle w/ a little brake fluid at the bottom. You connect that rubber hose to the nipple on the slave clylinger. Make sure that hose is submerged under brake fluid. Open up the nipple and have your helper pump the clutch. When you are ready to fill up the resovoir have your helper hold the cltuch pedal half way. Close the nipple and fill up your master brake cylinder. As soon as the air bubbles are gone your done.

This is another method. The key is to have that rubber hose submerged in brake fluid to prevent air from entering the system.

I learned this from my oldman and auto shop. I have used this method and it has never failed me.

mr.almeida Nov 30, 2009 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by mitsuevodriver (Post 7756762)
Wait, So could i use a tube to pump in some brake fluid? Or i just turn over the bottle and leave the bottle facing up on the master cylinder? And do i have to loosen the master cylinder bolt to pump in brake fluid?

No you're using pressure by pumping the clutch to pump the brake fluid. Yea just turn the bottle over on the master cylinder, to hold fluid. No you only loosen the bolt on the slave cylinder, the one in the picture.

mitsuevodriver Nov 30, 2009 11:27 PM

Which bolt on the slave cylinder mr. almeida?

mitsuevodriver Dec 2, 2009 05:21 PM

Alright so i might now need alittle help on bleeding my clutch?Could you guys explain it alittle bit more clear? Okay so i put on a rubber hose onto the nipple(picture down there with the green arrow) and then stick the other half of the hose into a bottle with some brake fluid on the bottom. Then my partner pumps my clutch 10x holding the clutch down i open the nipple with the red arrow pointing to it on the picture and let all the liquid out until theres no more and then i close it? What happens next? HELLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP ;)Picture down there.

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/z...river/help.jpg

mr.almeida Dec 2, 2009 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by mitsuevodriver (Post 7762686)
Alright so i might now need alittle help on bleeding my clutch?Could you guys explain it alittle bit more clear? Okay so i put on a rubber hose onto the nipple(picture down there with the green arrow) and then stick the other half of the hose into a bottle with some brake fluid on the bottom. Then my partner pumps my clutch 10x holding the clutch down i open the nipple with the red arrow pointing to it on the picture and let all the liquid out until theres no more and then i close it? What happens next? HELLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP ;)Picture down there.

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/z...river/help.jpg

LOL yea that's the line to open up. I wish I had a camera so I can make a video for you.

Hopefully this will help. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj1dMdYgRK4
Look on youtube for videos.