EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Can it be done? Using 2 more stock coils so theres a total of 4? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/461425-can-done-using-2-more-stock-coils-so-theres-total-4-a.html)

4g63smokinall4s Dec 2, 2009 07:23 PM

Can it be done? Using 2 more stock coils so theres a total of 4?

Just as it say i dunno sitting here watchin tv and was thinkin about getting COP and then thought about using 2 more stock coils in place of the 2 wires that come off?
would this be possible? any problems to arise?
just a thought be easy please:lol:

Evokid03 Dec 2, 2009 09:17 PM

i thought of the same thing but just ended up buying a spark tech cdi unit..

But would like to hear peoples respeonse onthis

4g63smokinall4s Dec 2, 2009 09:25 PM

prolly what ill end up doin.. just curious if anyone has done or tried this.. im sure people have thought it I CANT be the only one.. chime in please...

xpehbam Dec 3, 2009 12:51 PM

Same question here!!!!

ODUB Dec 3, 2009 01:05 PM

the only reason it wouldn't work is because another set of stock coils won't connect to the existing coils. the connections on the plugs are made to fit the coils, and the coils are made to fit the plugs. if the connectors were right, it would work, but they aren't. just get the spark tech non cdi unit. that's what i did.

artevo9 Dec 3, 2009 01:21 PM

This is a good question!

Ive looking at the Okada quad pack as well and Sparktech CDI, both = $$

+ I would like to know as well.

4g63smokinall4s Dec 3, 2009 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by ODUB (Post 7765226)
the only reason it wouldn't work is because another set of stock coils won't connect to the existing coils. the connections on the plugs are made to fit the coils, and the coils are made to fit the plugs. if the connectors were right, it would work, but they aren't. just get the spark tech non cdi unit. that's what i did.

I do understand that there are only 2 connections... but some simple rewireing could possible yield 2 more connectors then just plug em in and there it is?
i mean to rewire 2 more in wouldnt be that hard... and yet far cheaper than non cdi cop...

im gonna mess around and see what happens

TommiM Dec 3, 2009 05:56 PM

you would have to rewire the harness to accept the extra coils without issues I would think. We only have two coils cause our cars use a waste saprk design. Well I should say YOU, not we. I have the spoolinup cop kit{thumbup}

RSMike Dec 3, 2009 07:06 PM

you could try this -

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...dacopspark.jpg

** Not yet completed, need to make up plate and proper loom**

wasted spark Coil over plug on a budget.
Coils are out of a K20a honda engine (iVTEC motor from civic/integra).

plug in, work straight away.

Cost me $250NZD (approx $180USD) for 4 from a wrecker, with plug attachments.
I'm sure with the honda scene in USA, you could get for much cheaper.

Then just make up a mounting plate, and you're away :)

Cheers, Mike

4g63smokinall4s Dec 3, 2009 07:07 PM

^^^ could you pm me the coil number off the coil?

thanks would appreciatte it!

mchuang Dec 3, 2009 07:19 PM

can you show wiring diagram?

heel2toe Dec 3, 2009 07:20 PM

All this talk recently about the non-cdi cop's Ive been wondering the same thing. I mean you can pick up a used set of coils for about 50 bucks. That paired with the two coils already on our car and you could have yourself a really cheap and possibly effective system. I would love to see a writeup on this. It really shouldnt be that hard. The proper connectors could be snipped and soldered from the leftover parts. I guess the only tricky part would be to make sure the circuit is setup properly and doesnt mess up the firing order.

4g63smokinall4s Dec 3, 2009 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by heel2toe (Post 7766344)
All this talk recently about the non-cdi cop's Ive been wondering the same thing. I mean you can pick up a used set of coils for about 50 bucks. That paired with the two coils already on our car and you could have yourself a really cheap and possibly effective system. I would love to see a writeup on this. It really shouldnt be that hard. The proper connectors could be snipped and soldered from the leftover parts. I guess the only tricky part would be to make sure the circuit is setup properly and doesnt mess up the firing order.

My same thoughts... Shouldnt be that hard.. Just tryin to see if anyone ever did it.. amazed if no1 has?

RSMike Dec 3, 2009 07:42 PM

honda coil system
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...dacoilinfo.jpg

Mitsi evo 6 wiring diagram
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...oildiagram.jpg

coil number -
DENSO 099700-070

they are quite long, but you could easily chop down the rubber to the right length to mount under the standard coil cover.

Hope that helps

4g63smokinall4s Dec 3, 2009 07:47 PM

Those coils are acually great length just need to get a plate to mount them too!

RSMike Dec 3, 2009 07:51 PM

the reason i used K20a Honda coils is because the USA boys are running them to 900hp in their drag cars...

xRoguex Dec 3, 2009 08:05 PM

okada = joke. its just a poor or messed with ground that gives you those pulses on the oscilloscope

It is not actually multiple sparks, or even ONE better spark.

If you pushed the limits of okada vs spoolinup's or spark tech's non cdi... which, are about the same price(spoolin's is)... i bet his COP would crush the okada coils hands down.

1NastyMR Dec 3, 2009 09:22 PM

just purchase 300m coils and a cdi box either the dynateck or the m&w and have a plate made... then just wire it up.. Its same coils/box used in any COP system like --- buschur/ams/sparktech

4g63smokinall4s Dec 3, 2009 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by xRoguex (Post 7766435)
okada = joke. its just a poor or messed with ground that gives you those pulses on the oscilloscope

It is not actually multiple sparks, or even ONE better spark.

If you pushed the limits of okada vs spoolinup's or spark tech's non cdi... which, are about the same price(spoolin's is)... i bet his COP would crush the okada coils hands down.

ok well thanks for the obvious Okada is garbage.. this is a fact.. but no1 is talking about them so whats ur point?
im not refering to anyone elses products or talking about testing them..

Originally Posted by 1NastyMR (Post 7766627)
just purchase 300m coils and a cdi box either the dynateck or the m&w and have a plate made... then just wire it up.. Its same coils/box used in any COP system like --- buschur/ams/sparktech

I do understand this and am well aware of all the cop cdi and non cdi systems this is not what this tread is about..

Its trying to figure out an alternative setups that are cost effiecient (i dont need to hear about spoolinups) and am wondering if anyone has tried this method..

also witht eh 300ms yes i know you can get em cheapp i can get 4 with mounting plate for 100 bucks right now.. then 250 for dlII i know about this route..
again trying to find out about THIS not oh you should just do this and this...

:beer:

EvoLutionized8 Dec 3, 2009 09:36 PM

what he said^+1... but I will say that with the wiring diagram provided by the NZD boy, its possible to just use stock coil x 4 and wire it up. spark output per cylinder would be more, but would have to take a closer look at the schematic to see approximately how much. The plate construction is backyard knowledge and ingenuity. This has been talked about and tested before, but the hassle of putting it together versus the higher output coils (300M) weren't equal in the end. But hey, to each their own... good luck.. always like to see someone trying something new... or different.

4g63smokinall4s Dec 3, 2009 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by EvoLutionized8 (Post 7766656)
what he said^+1... but I will say that with the wiring diagram provided by the NZD boy, its possible to just use stock coil x 4 and wire it up. spark output per cylinder would be more, but would have to take a closer look at the schematic to see approximately how much. The plate construction is backyard knowledge and ingenuity. This has been talked about and tested before, but the hassle of putting it together versus the higher output coils (300M) weren't equal in the end. But hey, to each their own... good luck.. always like to see someone trying something new... or different.

Thanks

thats the kind of info im looking for to SEE if anyone has attempted this.. i wasnt planning on it just tryin to figure ways to help others.. I hate wireing :lol:
just trying to figure cheap way to help those that CANT afford the systems ;)

RSMike Dec 3, 2009 10:02 PM

can anyone list some links for the 300M coils?
or a better explanation of what they are?

4g63smokinall4s Dec 3, 2009 10:06 PM

Use the search tab here.. there is tons of info and trial and error of people doin setups with 300m coils on this site!

1NastyMR Dec 3, 2009 10:40 PM

its already proven and works... 300m coils and a cdi box... why would you wanna wire up 4 stock coils...seems dumb if you ask me... stick to what works... its not to expensive going that route either so how much more cost effecitve do you wanna be.... you jsut said 250 for the box... 100 for coils/plate thats 350... pretty cheap if you ask me for COP that will work...

RSMike Dec 4, 2009 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by 1NastyMR (Post 7766756)
its already proven and works... 300m coils and a cdi box... why would you wanna wire up 4 stock coils...seems dumb if you ask me... stick to what works... its not to expensive going that route either so how much more cost effecitve do you wanna be.... you jsut said 250 for the box... 100 for coils/plate thats 350... pretty cheap if you ask me for COP that will work...

well these K20a honda coils are proven to work up to 900hp on honda drag cars.
they have built in ignitors. All you have to do is wire up your 12v, earth and signal wire. This is why i've done it. It's just that simple.

If i used 300M coils, i'd have to do CDI and/or ignitor setup. I dont want to do that, it's pure overkill. And this way, if one of my coils die for whatever reason, i just head down to the Wreckers and buy another coil from honda for $60NZD.

so you seem dumb if you ask me... maybe people dont wanna get in the mainstream line where no thinking occurs...

Where do you get 4x new 300M coils for $100USD?
And for me, those costs you listed are massively understated.
USD to NZD currency exchange, plus postage to a county half way around the world. Not to mention customs/duty costs/taxes.

4g63smokinall4s Dec 4, 2009 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by 1NastyMR (Post 7766756)

your missing the whole purpose for this post.... I know that works i had it on my 2g...

im looking for alternative ways for members that cant afford or dont want to spend that kind of money.... was thinking aloud.. :beer:

4g63smokinall4s Dec 4, 2009 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by RSMike (Post 7766848)
well these K20a honda coils are proven to work up to 900hp on honda drag cars.
they have built in ignitors. All you have to do is wire up your 12v, earth and signal wire. This is why i've done it. It's just that simple.

If i used 300M coils, i'd have to do CDI and/or ignitor setup. I dont want to do that, it's pure overkill. And this way, if one of my coils die for whatever reason, i just head down to the Wreckers and buy another coil from honda for $60NZD.

so you seem dumb if you ask me... maybe people dont wanna get in the mainstream line where no thinking occurs...

Where do you get 4x new 300M coils for $100USD?
And for me, those costs you listed are massively understated.
USD to NZD currency exchange, plus postage to a county half way around the world. Not to mention customs/duty costs/taxes.

see you understand the purpose for this..

i got the hookup ;)

heel2toe Dec 4, 2009 11:59 AM

Im with the OP here. The topic at hand for this thread is regarding the use of two more stock coils. As far as using 300m coils and a cdi box, its a good idea and but it has been discussed in other threads.

The use of two more stock coils interests me for a couple of reasons. Im all about a relatively inexpensive DIY which yields decent results. Will the unit with a CDI box work better? Most likely, but for me I am never going to need that much spark. My car runs perfectly fine with the stock coils. But that doesnt mean I couldnt benefit from a better ignition. Im not about to go out and spend $3-$400. That money could be spent in other areas with higher yields for my situation atleast.

Thats really why this topic interests me. I am by no means electrical savvy, however it seems to me like for under $100 and a little bit of ingenuity this could be possible.

94AWDcoupe Dec 4, 2009 07:18 PM

I dont know that adding two more stock coils will do anything at all. You still only have two trigger wires. So the two added coils will be firing twice every 720 just like the first two. In affect all you are doing is eliminating the two spark plug wires and replacing it with two coils. The system will still be operating in wasted spark with the same dwell and all. If you try you will have to figure out how to eliminate the spark coming out of the plug wire port. otherwise that energy will just jump to the cover and ground there instead of a plug gap.

I like what RS mike has done. Find a set of coils that actually increases spark output with out any other changes. The 300m are garbage IMHO. they are not stronger than stock coils. they absolutely need a cdi box to boost them for them to be considered better than stock mitsu coils. CDI boxes are not reliable. Best to avoid them if your setup can. The non- cdi COP that some are selling is using toyota celica coils from what I heard. I would look into them or these k20 coils that mike is using.