EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   ACT Lock Out Thread (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/462675-act-lock-out-thread.html)

3gEclipseTurbo Dec 9, 2009 06:58 PM

ACT Lock Out Thread

So with all the talk about ACT having lock-out issues I think its time we clearify this topic. I have read alot of the threads about ACT clutches and it seems to me that the lock out issues happen to the street disc's 90% of the time not the 4 or 6 puck race disc's. So cast your vote!

luckybull Dec 9, 2009 07:25 PM

where is the option for none?
i had an ACT street disk, and it worked great!

guess its all up to the install?

3gEclipseTurbo Dec 9, 2009 08:03 PM

Ok i forgot that option lol. If you have or had a ACT with no problems list which ACT you have or had with a quick review and what mods or hp/tq you have. I have a ACT 6 puck given its on a eclipse but works wonderfull shifting is butter.

JohnDoe1984 Dec 10, 2009 01:13 AM

Burned through one ACT 6 puck. It shifted great but starting off in first is definitely easier on a stocker or full street disk. No lockout problems whatsoever though. It didn't last long. I'm on a comp stage 3 now and so far so good. I really like the clutch actually.

Intake, Exhaust, & tune approx 300whp.

Evostacio Dec 10, 2009 02:00 AM

yeah man i have the act xtss and i cant shift anything higher than 7500rpm it ****en blows cause i wanna shift at 8k with my springs and retainers and cams but nooooooooo.. if i would have know i would have had a problem like that i wouldnt have bought the clutch..

kanyonkid Dec 10, 2009 03:17 AM

i have street disk with hd pressure plate... 30k on the clutch, power in sig... lots of roadrace style driving with absolutely ZERO issues at all... i even installed it myself and was my first clutch job ever.. I also never shift higher than 7200rpms

binh Dec 10, 2009 05:49 AM

Been there done that in all my dsms and evos...lockout at high rpms= ****ty.

I have an exedy twin HD I can shift at 8700 if I choose to do so with zero lockout problems.

apagan01 Dec 10, 2009 05:52 AM

I had zero issues whatsoever with my street disk and stock flywheel, i got mine from TTP Engineering, very good pricing.

gsrboi80 Dec 10, 2009 06:23 AM

Bout 7.5k and up forget it. HDSS w/over 70k on it. Great street clutch just no high rpm fun

allinevo Dec 10, 2009 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by luckybull (Post 7784322)
where is the option for none?
i had an ACT street disk, and it worked great!

guess its all up to the install?

That is the entire problem with the "lock out" issues. I know of several people that have this set-up that I installed for them and not 1 person has the "lock out" issue and these are on cars that get beaten on a regular basis,one with a hta35r making just over 500whp (the very limit of this clutch btw) and all vehicles have several years of abuse. The problem with the install is if you dont get trans to just drop in on 1st try you can damage disc by having weight of trans hang from disc with input shaft slid into disc.

GgreyEVOIX Dec 10, 2009 11:21 AM

I love my ACT clutch and flywheel combo, I have the street disc/ heavy pp. No lockout issues at all even up to 7500 rpm. When installed the correct way you should have no issues. When this clutch goes out I'll be getting another ACT clutch{thumbup} I'm making 315 whp

BBS Dec 10, 2009 12:19 PM

the oem clutch disc isnt designed to spin past 7500k rpms so slapping on a beefier (heavier) act disc wont help any bit with lockout. How fast you plan to spin the motor plays a large part in clutch selection! Almost as much as how much power you plan on running.

evoxsi Dec 10, 2009 12:29 PM

i had to granny shift my 6 puck at 7000 rpm from 2nd to 3rd and sometimes 3dd to 4th. junk. quatermaster ftw.

nikkadanny Dec 10, 2009 12:40 PM

i bought my 6 puck sprung from ttp they said they fixed the lockout issue thats why i bought it from them, but i get locked out all the time. i have the bottom motormount as well.

chaotichoax Dec 10, 2009 12:56 PM

HDSS with a Fidanza lightweight fly wheel

no issues at all

all those with issues...if you don't have solid underhood shifter bushings invest in them