EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   EVO 8 Axel shaft and tips (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/466827-evo-8-axel-shaft-tips.html)

Jimbolution Jan 6, 2010 07:03 AM

EVO 8 Axel shaft and tips

Hi there,

question about stock Axel shaft.

This summer with mods, my EVO will be around 400hp with a 2 step and im asking myself about the axel shaft... is suppose to resist 400hp or maybe it will be a good idea to put more stronger ? some person said that there company that take the stock one and reinforce them.... i want your advice about this.

Next question, im searching about the next mods for my EVO... i will have 1000cc injectors, walbro fuel pump, ACT clutch kit, BOV, K&N cold air, tripod with guage, programmation.... what is recommended ? is there my radiator to put a bigger one ? O2 ? i think that a water-metanol kit is a good investement... or maybye buy some cams ? you see ! im not sure :p

i just want some advice... what will you do if you were me...

Murf Jan 6, 2010 07:21 AM

no need for bigger injectors yet.

JohnDoe1984 Jan 6, 2010 08:39 AM

You can upgrade drivelines and axles if you want but. 400whp is really not too much for these parts. The stock ones are very strong.

There's people running 700+ horsepower on the stock axles and drivelines.

Jimbolution Jan 6, 2010 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by JohnDoe1984 (Post 7860871)
You can upgrade drivelines and axles if you want but. 400whp is really not too much for these parts. The stock ones are very strong.

There's people running 700+ horsepower on the stock axles and drivelines.

ohhh yeah :eek: as this far... but im sure that's possible that my axels broke by a unlucky way with the 2 step...

Jimbolution Jan 6, 2010 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Murf (Post 7860644)
no need for bigger injectors yet.

so what're you recommendation...?

ch53avitech Jan 6, 2010 02:54 PM

Stock axles will be fine for 400hp, forever. Period. I'd be more worried about your transfer case...

As for your next mod. We can't suggest anything without knowing what your end expectations for your car are. Will it be a daily driver? time attack? auto-x?

ch53avitech Jan 6, 2010 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbolution (Post 7861089)
so what're you recommendation...?

For 400hp? 860cc's should be fine. If your going to stop at 400hp then you'll be good, if you ever plan on exploring further into your quest for more power then get 1200cc's.

JohnDoe1984 Jan 6, 2010 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbolution (Post 7861085)
ohhh yeah :eek: as this far... but im sure that's possible that my axels broke by a unlucky way with the 2 step...

You should probably upgrade your rear driveshaft bushings. The weak link is going to be the transmission and the transfer case especially.

Jimbolution Jan 7, 2010 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by ch53avitech (Post 7862278)
As for your next mod. We can't suggest anything without knowing what your end expectations for your car are. Will it be a daily driver? time attack? auto-x?

that my summer daily driver and my drag car too... so i want to upgrade it until the limit that i will evaluate dangerous to drive it on the road... but to put number on that sentence, i will say about 800 hp...

Jimbolution Jan 7, 2010 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by ch53avitech (Post 7862293)
For 400hp? 860cc's should be fine. If your going to stop at 400hp then you'll be good, if you ever plan on exploring further into your quest for more power then get 1200cc's.

1000cc isn't that enough ? im sure that these injector will easily good for 700hp ? else it will be the 1600cc

Jimbolution Jan 7, 2010 10:32 AM

i check a Drag Race Rear Differential Kit on AMS Performance... but for 400hp... i don't need it but im suppose that after that, this kit would be perfect for a live time ? it come with the axels too.

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/A...mance.com.html

for transfer case..... im not sure if i a need it before 500-600hp ... is there some people had experience with broke transfer case :D

ch53avitech Jan 7, 2010 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbolution (Post 7864498)
1000cc isn't that enough ? im sure that these injector will easily good for 700hp ? else it will be the 1600cc

Depending on what fuel you plan on using...you are correct, 1000cc's will provide enough fuel for a 700hp car if your using 93 octane. I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to foreign fuels. But if your using E85 then I'd get 1600's for your power goal.

ch53avitech Jan 7, 2010 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbolution (Post 7865030)
i check a Drag Race Rear Differential Kit on AMS Performance... but for 400hp... i don't need it but im suppose that after that, this kit would be perfect for a live time ? it come with the axels too.

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/A...mance.com.html

for transfer case..... im not sure if i a need it before 500-600hp ... is there some people had experience with broke transfer case :D

I'd blow my money elsewhere. The stock rear end is pretty beefy. I'd just get the rear differential rebuilt to handle your power goal.

If you know how to launch, your axles will be fine.

Get your transfer case rebuilt before 500hp. I blew mine up when I was at 340lbs/tq.

Jimbolution Jan 8, 2010 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by ch53avitech (Post 7866136)
I'd blow my money elsewhere. The stock rear end is pretty beefy. I'd just get the rear differential rebuilt to handle your power goal.

If you know how to launch, your axles will be fine.

Get your transfer case rebuilt before 500hp. I blew mine up when I was at 340lbs/tq.

when your said rebuilt, you mean upgrade ? (sorry im french canadian :lol:) or just take the stock part and put some upgrade or change all the transfer case for a Shepherd Racing Transmission for example

StreetThisEvo Jan 8, 2010 05:53 AM

I finally snapped a rear axle this year. But that was after 500+ passes since I bought the car new. With that power you mention I wouldn't even waste your money.

DBallz Jan 8, 2010 06:47 AM

Got your PM sorry I have been ultra busy. Ok so first thing is your not going to need axles or rear diff upgrade. Suggestion would be to change your fluids in your tranny, TC, and rear diff to something like Amsoil....and makes ure you change it every 15k. You will not snap the axles with 400hp. The only way I could see that happening is if you were to dump the clutch and I assume your TC would go first before the axles.

Next lets tackle these mods. 1k injectors seem big almost too big. Are you planning on going with a FP red or Black in the near future? If not then 1k is too big.

What turbo are you using to attain your goal of 400hp?

Ev0ikon Jan 8, 2010 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbolution (Post 7867686)
(sorry im french canadian :lol:)

I am sorry for you too. :D

Originally Posted by Jimbolution (Post 7867686)
when your said rebuilt, you mean upgrade?

You should always upgrade to stronger parts if you are making more than stock power. Make sense, yes? :beer:

And if you are just making 400HP then don't worry about the axles. They are very strong.

Jimbolution Jan 8, 2010 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by DBallz (Post 7867824)

Next lets tackle these mods. 1k injectors seem big almost too big. Are you planning on going with a FP red or Black in the near future? If not then 1k is too big.

What turbo are you using to attain your goal of 400hp?

not this year for a bigger turbo, so i will stay with the stock one...

DBallz Jan 8, 2010 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbolution (Post 7868199)
not this year for a bigger turbo, so i will stay with the stock one...

I don't want to be Buzz Killington but I don't think your going to make that much HP with the 03-04 turbo 9.8 hotside turbos didn't make that much hp....if you had the 9 turbo then yes I could see it being done and then you would need the injectors. If your not going to upgrade the turbo then injectors are just over kill.

Lancerguy'03 Jan 8, 2010 11:37 AM

reading your 1st post.......your next mod should be some cams....like Kelford 272 and springs/retainers. that will give the most improvement and can be used for any other mods you plan to do...

Also get a lower intercooler pipe, and 02 pipe....you have a lot to do before you can get to 400hp....

look at my mod list and im makeing 400/400 at 32psi.....

Jimbolution Jan 8, 2010 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by DBallz (Post 7868767)
If your not going to upgrade the turbo then injectors are just over kill.

but even if i don't put a bigger turbo this year, i can put the injector? or it will be bad for the car ? or maybe put like 880cc ? or keep the stock one until i put a bigger turbo ?

Ev0ikon Jan 8, 2010 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbolution (Post 7868926)
but even if i don't put a bigger turbo this year, i can put the injector? or it will be bad for the car ? or maybe put like 880cc ? or keep the stock one until i put a bigger turbo ?

Unless you have ways to tune, adding those injectors will make it run rich = power lost = more carbon buildup = bad for sex... err sooth..

Jimbolution Jan 8, 2010 01:00 PM

so i stay with the stock one that support unless 400hp or bigger turbo right ?

Jimbolution Jan 8, 2010 01:01 PM

if i don't buy these, which part will be fine... an ETS 3.5" IC Kit ?

Lancerguy'03 Jan 8, 2010 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lancerguy'03 (Post 7868819)
reading your 1st post.......your next mod should be some cams....like Kelford 272 and springs/retainers. that will give the most improvement and can be used for any other mods you plan to do...

Also get a lower intercooler pipe, and 02 pipe....you have a lot to do before you can get to 400hp....

look at my mod list and im makeing 400/400 at 32psi.....

did you read what i posted??

TxEvo8 Jan 8, 2010 02:05 PM

some people just can't be helped...

zedevo Jan 8, 2010 02:23 PM

Go for Buschur Parts ... Like BF Cams 272 with Beehive Springs , FMIC Piping , Shearer Headers ,
Good Luck ...

ch53avitech Jan 8, 2010 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by zedevo (Post 7869370)
Go for Buschur Parts ... Like BF Cams 272 with Beehive Springs , FMIC Piping , Shearer Headers ,
Good Luck ...

That's a good idea. Buschur Racing's staged upgrades are fool proof. With all of the upgrades your set up for success.

So easy, even a caveman can do it.

Jimbolution Jan 8, 2010 02:57 PM

cams ?!?! there a lot of possibilities... but is recommended 272 / 264 or two 272 ?!?!

im not sure between the GS series, kelford and HKS... there seem all good but if i buy cam, i need cam gear and cover ?

zedevo Jan 8, 2010 03:04 PM

HKS are Baby Cams ... I have 272 on my VII ... and 90% of my parts are from Buschur Racing ... Awesome service and follow up ...
Contact Jarrod or David , ;)

Lancerguy'03 Jan 8, 2010 03:08 PM

read my post. jesus. kelfords are the most aggressive 272 cams. get both 272. and stop spamming to 50 posts with your repeated questions. and READ!!!

ch53avitech Jan 8, 2010 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbolution (Post 7869490)
cams ?!?! there a lot of possibilities... but is recommended 272 / 264 or two 272 ?!?!

im not sure between the GS series, kelford and HKS... there seem all good but if i buy cam, i need cam gear and cover ?

You don't need cam gears or a new cam gear cover. I'd get the BF 272, or Kelford 272's.

Like I said though, http://buschurracing.com/stage0.htm <this is dummy proof and the best and most straightforward way to do it.

Jimbolution Jan 8, 2010 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lancerguy'03 (Post 7869524)
read my post. jesus. kelfords are the most aggressive 272 cams. get both 272. and stop spamming to 50 posts with your repeated questions. and READ!!!

sir yes sir :beer: so two Kelfords even with stock turbo... did we have to change something when we put the turbo or once you put the cams they are correct.... that's my last question ;)

dastallion951 Jan 9, 2010 05:11 PM

well i have an 03 thats modded but my stockish setup when i was tuned on (pump91) on stock turbo, i had xs engineering ic uicp and licp, mbc catback and downpipe on 03 turbo made 287hp 285 tq on tuning techs dyno in the middle of summer in ca (95-105*f), everything else stock u want power mods thatll make difference: licp and 3.5" ic, cams if u wanna stay stock head get the hks 280 cams or somethin along those lines live with the lope lol pickup a 10.5 hotside with bigger 02 housing recommend titek for flow 3" downpipe catback with preferably a ebc, on 91 i was pushin 24 psi peak hold about 21 to redline on dejon tool u need a bigger hotside or a bigger turbo 400 will be out of its efficiency range...recommend fp red 200 rpms of spool up isnt bad for an a$$ load more top end.
boils down to how fast you wanna go and how much u wanna spend tryin to do it, 5k will get u an 11 second car with the right parts

Jimbolution Jan 11, 2010 06:50 AM

thanks !!! you're all patient to answer me. i will return in the Cams thread with the dyno of all kinds of cams try on a the same car.... i love this post, it's excellent and i think the dilem will be between GS series, kelford and HKS...

have a nice day ;)

evolancer04 Jun 12, 2010 12:31 AM

WOW, its called a search. Do some reading on your own, this site is full of knowledge.

20gmr Jun 12, 2010 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by evolancer04 (Post 8396944)
WOW, its called a search. Do some reading on your own, this site is full of knowledge.

The guy is not from here so im guessing that english may not be his 1st langauge so research for him would be a lil more challenging, so ease up a bit. A lot of ppl don't understand enough about cars to even follow some of the conversations on here so sometimes extra help explaining is needed.

To The OP. The biggest thing i can tell you is be specific with your goals, and what you will be using the car for. people on here can be more helpful and also much nicer when you have a clear goal and power level in mind.