EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   starter or mini battery going bad? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/467338-starter-mini-battery-going-bad.html)

Kdash106 Jan 8, 2010 07:18 PM

starter or mini battery going bad?

So since the cold weather started kicked in, my car is having trouble starting. I bought my Odyssey battery off one local evo owner here and never had a problem till winter hit. so my problem is, when I get off work the car has been sitting out for around 10 hours in 1-10 degree cold weather. In order to start it I gotta put the key in, turn it to on, wait for around 15-20 sec before I crank it. Most of the time it will slowly crank and start, but the odd thing is some time it would just CLICK and all the lights are off till I let go of the key, but when i look at the Volt gauge, I have 12v and it should start. I would try for 4-5 time with no luck and have to jump it at times, but one time even jumping it didn't work, it just don't want to start up. I had the same problem this morning when I was driving to work, I stopped at a gas station to fill up. after I filled up, I got in the car and tried to start it and CLICK... it didn't wanna start, the volt meter showed that it's at 12v again, I had to rock the car a little bit and leave the key on ON for a good min and finally started. I have been driving for more then 30 min the battery should be charged good enough to just start it. So my question is does it sound like starter or battery has gone bad?

KenMasters Jan 9, 2010 06:43 AM

CC Amps, Trickle charger will solve your problems, If you run the pc680 you will need a 12v 6 amp charger. Batteries plus caries them. Good luck.

porsherules911 Jan 9, 2010 06:52 AM

definitely sounds like a battery issue, not the starter. And also just because the volt gauge shows it has 12v doesn't mean the battery is fine, I was told voltage is not important and what you want to find out is how many CC amps the battery has. Amp and voltage are different I think.

Bobster22388 Jan 9, 2010 10:44 AM

Yes, amperage and voltage are 2 seperate things. The amperage is the amount of current in the circuit while the voltage is just the force of the electrons in the current. You want to be looking for the CCA, a dead battery will still read 12v in some cases. I had a customer come into my work yesterday with the same problem and after him spending 8hrs outside finally had us test the batter and it proved to have only 50CCA(extremely low) and he still had a 12v reading on it. I would have to say your battery is definitely going bad.

EvoVIII808 Jan 9, 2010 10:47 AM

starter bro. i just changed mine. try battery first, check all connections, if that doesnt work its Starter. Literally i just got my car but up yesterday, Down for a week from the same problem. Only i live in Hawaii.

erald01 Jan 9, 2010 10:54 AM

the easiest way to check is!!! Jump start the car and if the car starts and runs while the cables are off then its your battery, BUT if it starts and as soon as you take the cable outs then it dies then its your alternator. Good Luck

EvoVIII808 Jan 9, 2010 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by erald01 (Post 7871314)
the easiest way to check is!!! Jump start the car and if the car starts and runs while the cables are off then its your battery, BUT if it starts and as soon as you take the cable outs then it dies then its your starter. Good Luck

i think that for alternator.

d-bo Jan 9, 2010 10:58 AM

"1-10degree cold weather" "mini battery" and "car sitting for 10+ hours"

don't use a mini battery in the winter

Bobster22388 Jan 9, 2010 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by erald01 (Post 7871314)
the easiest way to check is!!! Jump start the car and if the car starts and runs while the cables are off then its your battery, BUT if it starts and as soon as you take the cable outs then it dies then its your starter. Good Luck

This is definitely the testing procedure for an alternator, this will not tell you anything about the battery since while the car is running the alternator is constantly feeding the battery.

EvoVIII808 Jan 9, 2010 11:03 AM

1st get rid of mini battery + cold = No No,
2nd check connections
3rd Starter

erald01 Jan 9, 2010 11:19 AM

sorry ignore my comment that is for the alternator testing

phenaly Jan 9, 2010 11:56 AM

Sounds more like a battery issue. The clicking is probably the Starter solenoid but I believe its due to the battery not being able to provide the necessary starting power.

Like others have stated a Mini Battery with the temperatures you are seeing is most likely the cause of your issues.

Kdash106 Jan 9, 2010 01:29 PM

I am gonna replace the battery, I've heard people using Miata battery on evo and have great results, but having a Full intercooler piping i have to relocate the battery in the back.

EvoVIII808 Jan 9, 2010 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Kdash106 (Post 7871669)
I am gonna replace the battery, I've heard people using Miata battery on evo and have great results, but having a Full intercooler piping i have to relocate the battery in the back.

do it.. i did. works perfect. make sure you get a big enough fuse. Took me about 45min to do complete install.