EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Turbo Diesel Motor Oil? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/475139-turbo-diesel-motor-oil.html)

ChrisBond1 Feb 18, 2010 02:18 PM

Turbo Diesel Motor Oil?

After trying Mobil 1 and AMSOil in my evo, both didn't last their rated "15,000" mile claim, the AMSOil dirty within 4,000 miles. I thought of the possiblity of using turbo diesel oil in my evo. Has anyone tried this yet? I found Mobil 1 diesel syn oil for a good price but they only have 5w-20. Possible to use that or should I search for more thickness? Thanks.

n2oiroc Feb 18, 2010 02:26 PM

mobil makes a turbo and diesel 5w40 mobil 1 that works well.

heel2toe Feb 18, 2010 07:02 PM

So your thought process is dirty oil is bad oil? Although I am nowhere near an oil expert I can tell you that its simply not true. Why dont you try sending a sample of your oil out to a place like blackstone labs and get your oil analyzed. They will be able to tell you the true condition of your oil.

Cal City Evo Feb 18, 2010 07:10 PM

Going 15K to an oil change is asking for trouble. It's kind of foolish in my opinion, especially if you get on it a lot. It's your choice though let me know how this works out for you in the long run:lol:.

buchnerj Feb 18, 2010 07:13 PM

You should be changing your oil every 3,000 miles with full synthetic. Do you drive an Evolution or just a straight Lancer? I can't tell from your information, and you posted this in evo general.

Oil is the life blood of your car, skimp out or defer maintenance and you will pay 10 times what those oil changes cost in the end game.

mifesto Feb 18, 2010 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisBond1 (Post 8009074)
dirty within 4,000 miles. .

i dont really feel you gave either mobile 1 or amsoil any real review simply by seeing its "dirty". oil may simply be doing its job keeping dirt suspended inturn looking dark. basically your review holds no water.

how about actually doing oil analysis to confirm? for example blackstone labs will actually tell you how "used" your oil is, in addition to showing unusually high levels of minerals, and unacceptable levels of fuel/water.

barneyb Feb 18, 2010 07:56 PM

A lab test can tell you if you have any unusual wear inside the engine. But oil will suspend only so much dirt. Then the dirt starts plating out inside the engine. When the oil looks bad you are at or approaching this suspension limit. In other words, if you want a clean engine, the oil you are using, if good, should quickly get dirty and when dirty, you need to change it. From what I see in my drain pan, 3K is still a good mileage for oil changes.

mifesto Feb 18, 2010 08:06 PM

i wont argue as im not a pro but ANY pro will tell you, you cannot tell the life of oil by looking at the color. i'll let the pros chime in on this one.

if any synthetic oil is "too dirty" by 4k, its probably something wrong with the car lol. does he rally for hundreds of miles? does he run filterless intake? hehe

ChrisBond1 Feb 18, 2010 08:43 PM

alright, a bunch to answer.

i do drive an evolution, it's a 2005 with an intake, tune, and MBC on low boost (18).

so i bought the car with 30k miles on it, the guy just did a fresh oil change with Mobil 1. Drove with it for about 4,300 miles and decided to change it to AMSOil. When i changed it, the Mobil 1 "looked" pretty good even my dad, who's a mechanic, said looked good too. Put the AMSOil in and I've been driving on it for about 4,000 miles and it looks "darker and dirtier" than the Mobil 1 when i changed it out. And I've been driving on low boost for this entire time because it's the winter and the snow tires can't grip with normal boost. I will take a picture of the oil for guys to see it tomorrow.

Now, I'm asking if anyone has used to turbo diesel oil in their evo? I'm just looking at all my options. I think I'm allowed to try different things on my car, right?

p.s. I rather not send it out because the oil is low and I NEED something soon. So any experiences with turbo diesel oil would be nice. If not, I'm going back to Mobil 1.

n2oiroc Feb 18, 2010 08:45 PM

the amsoil could have had more detergent in it and cleaned old crud out from the engine.

MitsoKid Feb 18, 2010 10:42 PM

Rotella.. The shop I do work with swears by it. Its a great oil and after multiple oil analysis under the same conditions it holds up very well in our engines. Its especially good for break in

Liqquid Feb 19, 2010 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by MitsoKid (Post 8010702)
Rotella.. The shop I do work with swears by it. Its a great oil and after multiple oil analysis under the same conditions it holds up very well in our engines. Its especially good for break in

interesting, anyone else using this?

JakeTheVIII Feb 19, 2010 04:46 AM

I've never heard of using Turbo Diesel oil in an evo. Why would you do that? Why wouldn't you use what Mistubishi reccommended? Or what your engine builder reccommended? Yes you're allowed to try it. I'm also allowed to see if sand in my gas tank makes my car go faster.

Dirty oil means it's doing it's job. If anything, your logic is backwards. Most of the time, my oil will be dark and a little dirty (not gold like it is when new), even the first drive after an oil change.

hotdog Feb 19, 2010 04:55 AM

A lot of Subaru people use Rotella, as there's a feeling, right or wrong, that Mobil 1 tends to cause "engine failures". In reality, it's probably just more people running Mobil 1 = more people getting failures due to more people running it, but I digress.

I've used Rotella for years in my 2002 WRX, and oil analysis show it perfectly fine at 5k miles.

I think you'd be hard pressed to see a difference between Rotella and Mobil 1 though.

[I.R.A.]_FBi Feb 19, 2010 05:15 AM

Where i'm from people use turbo diesel oil when their (crank) bearings are on there way out.